WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
1,599 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm very new to the watch hobby, and just recently bought my first automatic; a Fortis B-42 Pilot Professional GMT based on the ETA-7754 movement.

When reading the forums here, I see that there are many themes of collections. Some favor specific brands, some specific movements, or some are into divers. Being an engineer, I'm facinated by the differtent technologies behind the watches. And just maybe that would be the "theme" of a modest collection of mine in the future. But what fundamental technologies are there? Here is my first attempt on a short list:

1. A manual wind mechanical.
2. An automatic mechanical.
3. A quartz-based digital (LED or LCD display).
4. A quartz-based analog.
5. A tuning fork-based analog (Accutron or similar).
6. Seiko spring drive.
7. A generator based digital (Ventura Sparc and predecessors)
8. ...?

Can you think of any additional significant technology? I know that some of the items in the list above do overlap and are not completely unique, but I like to think of them as quite distingctive anyhow.

·
Registered
1,199 Posts
Depending on how fine you want to make your divisions;
Quartz analog-digital
Quartz solar
Quartz radio
Quartz kinetic

And you could go crazy with: :-x
Automatic mechanical - bumper
Automatic mechanical - fullsize rotor
Automatic mechanical - microrotor

·
Banned
11,612 Posts
6. Seiko spring drive.
8. ...?
That list is good but it can be segmented further considerably. For example, you can add to that:

- Highly complicated (as in added complications) mechanicals (hand wind or auctomatic)
- Automatic Chronograph's *
- Manual Chronograph's *
- Jump Hour movements (quartz and mechanical)
- Digital Mechanicals (not jumphour designs)
- Bumpers
- High Torque Quartz
- High end quartz (non-thermocompensated)
- High end quartz (thermocompensated)
- Radio Controlled Quartz
- Multi Sensor quartz digitals
- quartz by charging mechanism (mechanical charging (kinetics and the like), solar, or temperature actuated), both analog or digital (or both)
- Quartz by display type (LCD, LED or e-paper)
- Pocket watches
- etc.

(* - Each can be subdivided further by application or type of chronograph movement.)

Of course you can subdivide further when you segregate watches into specific applications or characteristics, such as divers, pilot's watches, field watches, country of origin, Historical, Military service, decade of production, representative of specific points in a company's history, etc.

I'm sure I'm missing some and that others can expand on the list further.

·
Banned
21,244 Posts
Being a simple guy, I divide watches in 2 categories.
1: Watches I like
2: Watches I dislike

Do not get confused in your collecting by trying to categorise!

·
Registered
1,599 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
Being a simple guy, I divide watches in 2 categories.
1: Watches I like
2: Watches I dislike

Do not get confused in your collecting by trying to categorise!
You are right in the sense that I would never buy something I don't like, so my list would be a subset of your rule number one. And I might even extend the rule to "Watches I like and can afford".

As I mentioned, I enjoy the engineering aspect of watchmaking and therefore thought the list would be a good starting point for learning and searching. Each to his own.

·
Registered
1,599 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
And you could go crazy with: :-x
Automatic mechanical - bumper
Automatic mechanical - fullsize rotor
Automatic mechanical - microrotor
You are exposing my ignorence here; I need to study further to understand the last three technologies you mentioned here.

When it comes to the heartbeats of the watches, are there any other technology than balance wheel, quartz, tuning fork (and mabybe spring drive but it is actually using a quartz as time reference for the breaking system if I understand it correctly). There has never been any atomic watches as far as I know, only clocks.

·
Registered
1,599 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
That list is good but it can be segmented further considerably. For example, you can add to that:

- Highly complicated (as in added complications) mechanicals (hand wind or auctomatic)
- Automatic Chronograph's *
- Manual Chronograph's *
- Jump Hour movements (quartz and mechanical)
- Digital Mechanicals (not jumphour designs)
- Bumpers
- High Torque Quartz
- High end quartz (non-thermocompensated)
- High end quartz (thermocompensated)
- Radio Controlled Quartz
- Multi Sensor quartz digitals
- quartz by charging mechanism (mechanical charging (kinetics and the like), solar, or temperature actuated), both analog or digital (or both)
- Quartz by display type (LCD, LED or e-paper)
- Pocket watches
- etc.

(* - Each can be subdivided further by application or type of chronograph movement.)

Of course you can subdivide further when you segregate watches into specific applications or characteristics, such as divers, pilot's watches, field watches, country of origin, Historical, Military service, decade of production, representative of specific points in a company's history, etc.

I'm sure I'm missing some and that others can expand on the list further.
Thank you Isthmus for the detailed list! I need to study some of the items you mentioned further, but I think we are slowly drifting into variations and complications of the same fundamental base-technology. I'm more looking for watchmakers that thought out of the box, invented and came up with a new way of making watches.

I think the spring drive is the first really new technology in the art of watchmaking we have seen in many years, but historically there must have been more. Some may have been failures business-wise but still interesting from an engineering standpoint.

·
Banned
21,244 Posts
Brequet invented the Tourbillon.

What do you mean, each to it's own?
I WAS NOT BEING SARCASTIC OR ANYTHING!

It is just that I have during the last 25 years of collecting watches realised that there is so many variations, that you impossibly can have a collection from that aspect.

In my case, I have:
One Omega Constellation F300 (tuningfork)
One simple vintage Quartz (Omega DeVille)
One multifunction modern quartz (Tissot T-touch)

And about 35 other mechanical watches and 3 PW. Oh yes, and 4 wall and mantel clocs. mechanical, of course.

·
Registered
1,599 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Brequet invented the Tourbillon.

What do you mean, each to it's own?
I WAS NOT BEING SARCASTIC OR ANYTHING!

It is just that I have during the last 25 years of collecting watches realised that there is so many variations, that you impossibly can have a collection from that aspect.

In my case, I have:
One Omega Constellation F300 (tuningfork)
One simple vintage Quartz (Omega DeVille)
One multifunction modern quartz (Tissot T-touch)

And about 35 other mechanical watches and 3 PW. Oh yes, and 4 wall and mantel clocs. mechanical, of course.
I am sorry if I upseted you Janne, that was not my intention. I just wanted to say that we all have different ways of approaching "problems": you promote a simplistic way and I respect that. I tend to be a tad bit too theoretical, but please allow me to elaborate a bit on my rationale for the list:

Assume there are 1,000,000 brands and models of watches out there (I just grabbed this number to represent "many"). By applying the rules of liking and disliking, I would narrow it down to maybe 200,000 models, and then again down to 50,000 models by removing those out of my budget. That is still a highly unrealistic number for any private collection (I'm thinking of 10-ish), so the selection has to be further refined. One way would be to leave it to chance - you just happen to stumble over something and say hey, I like this one and I can afford it! And I guess that is how most of us buy new watches. My approach was to apply a bit of systems engineering by throwing in my preferences for specific engineering breakthroughs.

Again, please accept my apologies if my previous wordings offended you. English is not my mothertounge and I sometimes pick the wrong phrases.

·
Registered
1,355 Posts
If you are interested in the history of horology and the improvements to timekeeping from the 17th century to the quartz revolution consider looking at antique pocket watches with an emphasis on different escapements such as the verge fusee, cylinder, duplex, detent and English and Swiss lever variations. I also suggest that you read "Revolution in Time" by Landis, a history of mechanical timekeeping from the 1200s to the quartz revolution.

·
Banned
21,244 Posts
Lucidor! All is OK!

If you leave it to chance I think you can get an intersting collection.
But be aware, that most watches watches have movements made by a very few companies.
Just as today, when two companies supplies the vast majority of all Swiss Made mechanical movements, and basically one company does the same to Swiss Made Quartz movements.

·
Registered
1,599 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I also suggest that you read "Revolution in Time" by Landis, a history of mechanical timekeeping from the 1200s to the quartz revolution.
That was a very good suggestion. I found the book you mentioned in a couple of libraries in my area, will check it out. Thanks.

·
Registered
4,051 Posts
Besides having a thing for Dive Watches, some criteria I have used to help influence my collection are:

Limited Editions/Special Editions

PVD

I also want to branch out into other movements, and I need something Seiko in the future to add a Japanese Auto.

·
Registered
8,842 Posts
If your question is "what are the types of TECHNOLOGY used in watches/clocks?"

Spring-mass oscillating movements*
Pendulum oscillating movements
Tuning fork oscillating movements**
Water clocks
Sun operated systems

The long and detail list given by Isthmus are not type of technology, but styles of watches (pocket, digital, analog, etc), and complications (chronograph, jump-hour, etc).

·
Moderator Public Forum
22,294 Posts
I'm very new to the watch hobby, and just recently bought my first automatic; a Fortis B-42 Pilot Professional GMT based on the ETA-7754 movement.

When reading the forums here, I see that there are many themes of collections. Some favor specific brands, some specific movements, or some are into divers. Being an engineer, I'm facinated by the differtent technologies behind the watches. And just maybe that would be the "theme" of a modest collection of mine in the future. But what fundamental technologies are there? Here is my first attempt on a short list:

6. Seiko spring drive.
8. ...?

Can you think of any additional significant technology? I know that some of the items in the list above do overlap and are not completely unique, but I like to think of them as quite distingctive anyhow.
There have been a lot of combinations of power source, display type and timing that have ocurred since man started tracking time. I'll try for a much shorter list of the popular technoligiies from the past 100 years. I'm sure I've missed some but here is a start for a list of the specific technologies that could be combined to make up most watch movement and display technologies I've seen. For example the old fashioned handwind mechanical could be 1, 5 & 9 or 1, 6 & 9. The quartz we are most familiar with would be 2, 5 & 12. Spring drive would be 1, 5 & 12. Kinetic would be 3, 7 & 12.

1. Spring power
2. Battery power
3. Generator power
4. Solar panel power
5. Analog mechanical display
6. Digital mechanical display
7. Analog electronic display
8. Digital electronic display (LED & LCD)
9. Sprung balance wheel timed
10. Electric balance wheel timed
11. Tuning fork timed
12. Quartz crystal timed & IC controlled

·
Registered
350 Posts
...and today watches do not only tell you the time. My Suunto X10 tells me where I am. (and lots of other stuff..)

They represent the confluence point for the two main entities of physics: time and place

·
Registered
2,879 Posts

6. Seiko spring drive.
8. ...?

Electric or Electronic watches (Battery powered mechanicals).

Ooh, and I recently saw a water powered LCD watch!

·
Registered
1,599 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Thank you guys for all your input in this matter.

I just recently learned to appreciate the art of watchmaking, and I have a lot to learn. I do however have some gems in my drawer; I just recently started to (re)wear a reasonable priced Russian watch purchased eight years ago in Ukraine, and immediatley drawed attention from the local watch-store, selling high-end brands such as Rolexes, Breitlings, and TAGs - "Hey, what is that on your wrist? It looks super cool!". So it is not about price, it is about style.

Yesterday I saturated item #5 on my list. When it arrives in a couple of days, I will post pictures here of a NOS Bulova Accutron Spaceview from 1967.

The hunt for the next victim on the list is on. I am now looking for a very early LED, most desirably a Pulsar (yes, I have seen the P1 on ebay, but it is way over my budget).

1 - 20 of 21 Posts