WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
382 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am still learning about navigating WISdom. I have bought and sold a few watches, but something new has come up. A watch I am interested in is in good outer condition, but had a mechanical problem and went back to the factory for overhaul and replacement of parts. The watch apparently works well now.
Now if I was buying a car or washing machine, this story would make me quite nervous. Is it the same with watches, or is it likely Ok? Thanks for the help.

·
Registered
867 Posts
In many instances, "refurbished" products are more reliable than their new counterparts. Generally only a sample set of a product is put through the whole quality control process, so when buying a new item chances are that it was not one of them. With a refurbished product, it's guaranteed that it went through the whole QC process and had any issues fixed.

I don't know if the same holds true with watches, but I would imagine if the manufacturer gave it a service and overhaul, I would expect it to be good-as-new.

·
Registered
1,876 Posts
It would depend on which watch company, how old the watch is, what was serviced and what was replaced.
In the most basic terms, a mechanical watch is just a machine, one that breaks down and needs replacement parts. Not unusual at all, but in the watch world, it is extremely important to keep a watch as original as possible. Just because it was serviced at the factory does not ensure proper care taken to keep it proper.

as always, photos help.

·
Vendor
3,058 Posts
If the work was done by a reputable shop (which it sounds like it was) and using good parts, it should be ready to rock for many years before needing another service.

·
Registered
275 Posts
Best to check the repair invoice to see what work was actually performed and if in fact there was a complete overhaul. Check to make sure the replacement parts were in fact OEM (may not be possible depending on the vintage of the watch) and performed by an authorized service centre or qualified technician.

As mentioned above, your watch received individual attention so it's not be unreasonable to expect that it may perform better than an off the shelf watch.

·
Registered
3,467 Posts
Usually a service from the manufacturer will come with a 1 year warranty. I would say it's better than unserviced.

·
Moderator Public Forum
23,342 Posts
If I was buying a used watch or a car I would feel better that a problem was identified and fixed than left to get worse. The owner was responsible enough to fix rather than ignore the defect and pass on a malfunctioning watch (or car).

·
Registered
450 Posts
Depending on the watch, but mechanical watches movements are not as complicated as a car plus there's nothing electrical. Every internal parts can be replaced, even refabricated. It's simple, yet it needs to be taken care of to prolong its life span. Even without problems, it should be serviced every 5 years or so to keep the lubrication at the right level and replace old seal and gasket for optimal water resistance.

So, if the watch has been serviced recently by a reputable watchmaker or authorized repair center with all the proper documentation, it's definitely a good sign given the asking price is reasonable from the start. In many cases, being recently serviced means having a valid warranty.

EDIT: with all that being said, it's not the single factor to determine a watch purchase. But it's definitely not a deal killer.

·
Registered
28,501 Posts
If a watch went back to the company that manufactured it for service that should be as reliable of a service as you can get. If you are satisfied with the looks of the watch and can verify that it was factory serviced, you should be able to have confidence in the watch.

·
Banned
4,491 Posts
Now if I was buying a car or washing machine, this story would make me quite nervous.
Frankly, I only buy refurbished appliances for my properties because they are so much cheaper and since the manufacturer did the work, as good as if new, IMO. Plus comes with warranty. Half the price of new usually.

For a watch, I agree with mpalmer. Are you getting a warranty?

·
Registered
2,505 Posts
there's also a difference between a refurbished and a serviced watch.

personally I wouldn't worry about a refurbished watch, but I would wary of an un-serviced vintage watch

it seems you're talking about a new watch that has a defect and they went and replaced the defective part (with new, working ones),
I dont think I'd be worry

1 - 12 of 12 Posts