WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 20 of 54 Posts

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys,
My wife and I have recently learned that we will be having our first, and very likely only, child around Christmas 2015. This is very exciting for us because we had believed that this would not happen, without sharing too much, we have lost 3 babies in as many years and were told by my wife's Dr. that this was likely our last chance before a "more permanent" solution for her female problems would be required. I'm thrilled to say that to this point she has had a totally normal pregnancy.

I know that this is a time I'll never forget and I want to celebrate it with a "nice" watch that I can look at and think of this exciting time. This is what I hope you all can help with.

I'm sure there are thousands of threads like this already but I can seem to come up with the magic phrase I need to find them in a google search, I'm sorry.

So, if I could buy any watch it would be a gray Omega Aqua Terra, however, I am not a wealthy man and with a young one on the way I couldn't comfortably spend outside of the $500 range. I'm open to quartz although an automatic seems like it would be more special.

As for what I have now: Tissot Visodate, Seiko 007, Citizen Blue Angel AT, and a G-shock (don't know the model)

Given my love for the Aqua Terra and my budget restraint, what do you suggest I look at? I will also post this in the affordable section, I know between the two I'll get going in the right direction.

Thanks, Andy

·
Registered
8,127 Posts
First, congratulations on the baby and wishing you and the wife all the best for this pregnancy. This will hopefully be the best Christmas present ever for you guys.

Second, for the watch - at just a bit over $400 - Seiko SARB065 Cocktail Time could be just the thing. It's a beautiful watch to behold and has an amazing dial. I can easily see it as a special watch to associate with a special event
s_sarb065b_1024x1024.jpeg

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I like the look of this one especially the blue second hand, but, I'd really like some lume. What is the WR on the sarb?

·
Registered
385 Posts
Believe me, I know where you are coming from. Having a child is a sacred moment in a couple's married life, but listen to me and understand what I am trying to say.

A $500 watch is only, truly, about a $200 watch when you walk out the door with it. Hardly worthy, in my book, of celebrating a new life.

Do the smart thing …. you say that you're not wealthy, and I can relate to that, too. Raising kids of my own, I can recall those days of having to budget very VERY closely. My advice to you is to take that $500 and open some type of interest-bearing account in that beautiful child's name and let it ride and ride and ride, continuing to contribute to it along the way. In 20 years it will be so much more worthy to turn over to your son/daughter, than a timepiece that wore out years ago.

Now, regarding a watch of celebration (of your child's birth) … I recommend that you save for a true heirloom quality watch and, once the child is ready, give that to him/her. They WILL appreciate it so much more!

That's just my two cents.

Let me be the first to congratulate you on the upcoming birth of your child. It is one of life's true miracles to behold!

OkeefenokeeJoe

·
Registered
1,919 Posts
I second the SARX015. It's got lume and 100m wr. Sapphire and the 6r15!
It's a watch that will last a life time. Kind of an AT/IWC ingenieur mix.
arx0155001.jpg
Pic from chino watch

·
Registered
8,127 Posts
I like the look of this one especially the blue second hand, but, I'd really like some lume. What is the WR on the sarb?
It's a more dressy\casual watch than a sports\diver, hence no lume and only 5ATM water resistance. Ok to get it splashed, but no shower\swimming w it - which one would not do w a leather strap anyway.

If it's a more of a diver you are after - check out CHristopher Ward. They have some great styles in $500-900 vicinity. And with a sale (15% fathers day going on now for example), you can get some great watches from Trident collection in $750 range (bracelet version).

c60-42-auto-swrs_1.jpg

One final thought. CHr Ward offers engraving on some models for just $40. Perhaps once you find the perfect watch, consider getting it engraved to commemorate the birth of your child.

·
Registered
20,462 Posts
and a G-shock (don't know the model)
GW-5000-1JF on combi bracelet |>

ca5g001-a.jpg

Perfectly fit for active and happy papa, no battery problem or mechanical issue like on other watches.

Reactions: pocky

·
Registered
1,699 Posts
Congratulations! Babies are awesome ,...
Crazy and tiresome but DEFINITELY with every sleepless night :)
I've cut umbilical cords twice with this one !
Left the tag and breitlings home when it was go time ! The tissot was my first auto so it holds a dear place in my heart !
Best of luck to you !!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
5,460 Posts
You could get a stowa for a little more, That would be worthy...

Envoyé de mon iPod touch en utilisant Tapatalk

·
Registered
Citizen Monocoque, perpetual date 2008
455 Posts
Great news and I'm so happy for you and your wife. Fatherhood is wonderful, but you do have them forever. You probably won't need a watch since you'll see your kid every day who will remind you of how lucky you are. If I had my time again I'd take a photo of my kids on every birthday and post it on an internet site so that I could see the progression. But I'm getting sidetracked.

Seiko has a very wide range of decent watches at good prices. I'd be going for one of them in the price range you mention. If you can't find a Seiko that appeals to you I'd be surprised.

Hope all goes well with the remainder of the pregnancy and the birth.

·
Registered
463 Posts
In say 21 years when your child has matured I would be pretty sure that your old watch would be banished to the back of a sock drawer as an interesting curiosity. It will be worth around $50 in todays terms if you're lucky.

No offence, but I'm afraid that I go with the idea of an investment account of some kind, which could grow to give your child a decent start in their adult life. I know it's not very WIS, but I do think it would be WISE. In the meantime, you will see your child most days of his and her life - you won't need reminding of the miracle, it is something you will never forget.

I hope everything continues to go well and I wish you all a happy and healthy birth.

·
Registered
1,645 Posts
I agree with the people that say invest.

You should invest most of the budget, and spare $50 for a decent casio that's water resistant. That kid is going to try and put that thing in its mouth every time you pick them up.

1 - 20 of 54 Posts