WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1,306 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What kind of watch tools would you recommend to own as a watch enthusiast?

Purely from a consumer point of view; change bracelets and strap, do micro adjustments on the go and perhaps adjust bracelets yourself.. no modding or anything serious. Its more about speed, comfort and ease

I currently consider buying a spring bar plier tool (see random pic) as this seems to make it easy to swap a bracelet. It might be a 100usd or so but like with most tools; you get what you pay for and this could really last a lifetime. Quality tools are the difference between enjoying a job and hating a job.. do you own one?

·
Registered
820 Posts
I just purchased Burgeon strap tool for my Breitling. Paid about $20 for it on amazon. Seems to be the recommended tool for Breitling and I have no complaints. As far as any other tools, I don’t really have a need for them. I suppose I’m the future I may purchase something to open up a case back but I would be nervous to damage it.

·
Registered
2,409 Posts
I have springbar pliers like those in your pic; I paid ~$30 on ebay (though it's possible to find them for less). I find them extremely useful! I also have several standard strap-changing tools that came with various straps. One of the most useful (for leather or other pliable straps) has a wider than usual fork; it came with a $15 band many years ago.

These tools do very simple jobs. I can't see how more expensive ones would be able to do the job any better.

·
Registered
9,920 Posts
What kind of watch tools would you recommend to own as a watch enthusiast?
A timegrapher.

Lets you check the health of any mechanical movement without removing stickers etc. To me, it's sort of essential if you sometimes buy used or grey market watches. I'm surprised how few people seem to own one. Buying a used watch without having a timegrapher is like buying a used car without starting the engine.

·
Registered
1,349 Posts
Strap tools, pin pushers, glass fiber brush, loupe, polishing cloths, possibly spaces back opener. Good precision screwdriver set.

·
Premium Member
23,128 Posts
Timegrapher, screwdrivers, loupe, spring bars tools, caseback wrench, caseback knives, crystal press, hand removers and presses, case and movement holders, bracelet link remover, pin punches, tweezers.

Reactions: ffritz

·
Registered
9,884 Posts
Regarding the spring bar pliers:

First, occasionally people think these work with straps but pliers and tweezers only work with bracelets. Of the two I prefer the pliers.

Over the years I have ended up with three options of pliers, Bergeon, Horofix and knock offs.

The knockoff pliers I got work fine but the tips are junk, they can be replaced with Horofix or Bergeon tips if they are faithful knockoffs of the Bergeon.

The Horofix are excellent and I find them essentially as good as the Bergeon and they come with two sets of forks so you can use the fine for Rolex and the wider for most everything else. The set runs $90 and it is what I would recommend. If you are using the Horofix tips for a knockoff set of pliers for Rolex get the 1.0 and for everything else get the 1.4 they run $17 for each PAIR. They are made in China but for average use they are quite adequate.

The Bergeons will run you about $150 (ofrei) and come with one set of tips. You pick the 1.1 mm for Rolex 1.3 for most everything else. Extra tips are $20 EACH.

Cheap but adequate: knockoff pliers and replace the tips with Horofix or Bergeon

Better and more than adequate for the average user: get the Horofix set

If you just want the best: get the Bergeons

Some prefer the tweezer type which if you ever see the Rolex official tool they are tweezer based.

As for other tools it just depends on what you plan to do, I like to pretend I am a watchmaker occasionally with cheap movements so I have a pretty wide variety of tools some are quality like Bergeon and some are cheap "garbage" because I am not paying $200 or more for a tool I might use a couple of times and then only on cheap movements I bought to learn with.

Unless you plan to open a case back a pair of spring bar pliers, a good spring bar tool like Begeon 6767 for straps, a quality set of screwdrivers and quality magnification of your choice (I have several loupes but use an Optivisor almost exclusively unless I open the case back).

If you plan to open the case back the tools begin to multiply quickly depending on what you plan to do obviously starting with a case back tool that will vary based on what brands you plan to open.

There is a sub-forum dedicated to tools and other accessories.

·
Registered
4,058 Posts
With precision screwdrivers for bracelets (or in general for that matter) I strongly suggest going with Wiha over the typical cheap sets. They will last you a lifetime, and avoiding damaging just one screw will make it worth the minimal extra cost. In my experience, Wiha drivers have outperformed even Burgeon when it specifically comes to sizing bracelets with screws.

As for spring-bar tools, Burgeon is definitely the way to go. The quality of tool over the cheapos is apparent in hand, and I have noticed that they do the job better, particularly when it comes to comes to finicky strap changes like G-Shocks. I use the 6767, and for my Rolex I've found the 7825 tweezers work well.

·
Registered
646 Posts
Painter's tape. Lots and lots of painter's tape.

Reactions: tiktiktiktik

·
Premium Member
6,804 Posts
I've found of of these to be extremely useful. Either after opening and replacing a caseback, or just doing a couple check before I head to the beach (snorkeling would be a good way to social distance, wouldn't it).

It only goes up to 6 ATM, but that's plenty for a little peace of mind for under $150 USD.

Product Small appliance Measuring instrument Machine Home appliance

·
Registered
206 Posts
My Zenith compelled me to buy the Bergeon 8745 B-PRESS.

I tried using the low cost, screw-type EUROTOOL Link Pin Remover, HOL-118.00, but the pins were super-tough to fully drive out and back in precisely.

On this model Zenith, a tube and pin is inside each link. The 8745 and Bergeon 30417 brass hammer made simple work of this, with precision.

The Bergeon 6111 spring bar tool also comes in handy for simple things. Executive toy

·
Registered
3,893 Posts

·
Registered
3,893 Posts
Looking around my desk, here's what I have. All are cheap tools from Chinese sets bought on Amazon, unless otherwise noted...

Springbar tool (Bergeon 6767 I think)
Bracelet sizing tools (hammer, pins, mount)
Case holder
Case wrench
Case knife (Bergeon 4932 - don't cheap out on this)
10x loupe (B&L) with head mount
Miniature screwdriver (1mm)
Special Seiko screwdriver (for special Seiko screw)
Nonmagnetic Tweezers (nice and light, came free with a strap I think)
Blower ball
Movement holders (one for Seikos, two generic)
Hand pullers
Hand setters (Bergeon 7004 knockoff)
Dial protector sheets
Lots of polishing cloths
Rodico (Bergeon 6033)
Polywatch
Loctite
Silicone greasing pad (from Esslinger)
Case/crystal press with dies (the big heavy red one with the screw down press... the cheap lever one sold everywhere sucks on domed crystals)
Weishi 1000 Timegrapher
UV flashlight

And that's just the stuff I've used recently.

I did get some springbar pliers recently, but they were not nearly as convenient as I thought they would be, at least not for me. So they just sit in a drawer along with some screwdrivers, cheap springbar tools, and other junk that I never use.

Reactions: Sonar
1 - 13 of 13 Posts