WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 20 of 97 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

Newbie here. I have a Hamilton Jazzmaster Viewmatic, and I'm looking to get an upgrade for my birthday coming up in a few months. I'd like to get something with similar functionality -- fairly basic automatic mechanical watch, must have at least date, similar size (40mm diameter), leather strap, but something with more hand craftsmanship, finer detail, and pedigree. Not a fan of roman numerals. Will need to stand up to everyday use and not be an occasional dress watch. Looking to spend up to $5k and will gladly consider used.

Any recommendations?

Thanks!

- Bill.

·
Registered
136 Posts
Hamilton Jazzmaster --> ~5K watch = one heck of an upgrade. There are boatloads of watches at that price point that meet your criteria. Keep perusing this forum and looking at photos. Something will speak to you. More likely than not, multiple things will speak to you.

·
Registered
1,510 Posts
Does not get a lot of love here, but at that price range with that criteria, my decision would be fairly easy. JLC Master Control. With a bit of negotiating you may even be able to get it brand new for maybe $500 over your budget. Used should be easy at your budget. It's even got a similar look to your Hamilton in terms of being a dress watch with a bit of sporty/everyday feel.

And nothing against Hamilton, but jumping from a Hammy to a JLC is basically going from Single A to the All Star game. You will have no doubt you upgraded.

·
Registered
136 Posts
In no particular order; straight off the top of my head: Tudor, Omega, Oris, Sinn, Ball, Bremont, Zenith, tons of others I am forgetting...

·
Registered
1,144 Posts
Ideas:

IWC Portofino or XVIII Pilot

Omega Seamaster Aquaterra - probably need to go gray market or gently used, and depends if you can deal with that dial. great watch, but not my preference

Jaeger-Lecoultre master control date - used, and would take some hunting to get one in your price range

Rolex Air King - used, probably.

·
Premium Member
Something ordinary
14,859 Posts
The Viewmatic line dances between dress and casual very well, large part of the reason I have owned the original and black dial (or great black rubber BTW) over the years.

But because it dances that line so well, if you could offer some other you like for reference it would help.

·
Registered
JLC MUT MP, Cartier Santos, JLC MCD, Omega PO, Rado True Auto
183 Posts
Does not get a lot of love here, but at that price range with that criteria, my decision would be fairly easy. JLC Master Control. With a bit of negotiating you may even be able to get it brand new for maybe $500 over your budget. Used should be easy at your budget. It's even got a similar look to your Hamilton in terms of being a dress watch with a bit of sporty/everyday feel.

And nothing against Hamilton, but jumping from a Hammy to a JLC is basically going from Single A to the All Star game. You will have no doubt you upgraded.
I second this. I did a similar thing last year. Went from a Rado True Auto and jumped up to a JLC MCD. The difference in quality was immediately apparent. Unfortunately, for the Rado, I haven't worn it since :/.

Sent from my SM-G998U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Thanks for all these ideas. I have been eyeing the JLC Master Control series -- the Date and the Calendar. The Calendar is somewhat above my price range (used) but could be worthwhile. But is a watch with more complications like that harder / more expensive to service than a simple one with just a date window?

·
Premium Member
570 Posts
I was going to jump in, but didn't want to be first. I was also thinking of the IWC Portfino (it is just so handsome). The JLC Master Control is outstanding too, and a great suggestion by @Dark Knight. Those choices are devastatingly elegant.

If you want a cross-over tool watch, you could go Omega. The Rolex Air-King is also a good choice. You have a great array of options.

·
Premium Member
2,922 Posts
Thanks for all these ideas. I have been eyeing the JLC Master Control series -- the Date and the Calendar. The Calendar is somewhat above my price range (used) but could be worthwhile. But is a watch with more complications like that harder / more expensive to service than a simple one with just a date window?
Yes, but so are some basic complication movements like Omega’s co-axial. All things being equal, in-house movements are also more expensive to service than off-the-shelf movements.

·
Registered
136 Posts
Google "40mm watch $5000." Worked for me. Then google the ones you like adding "watchuseek" to the search and see what we have to say about it.
This is an excellent suggestion.

1 - 20 of 97 Posts