WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I was looking at getting a watch winder for the Seiko automatics that I've ordered. Most of my watches will not be worn for long periods of time. I thought it would be a good idea to get a watch winder. I'm confused - should I keep my automatics running 24/7 or should I wind them fully and allow them to wind down to stop? If I wanted to keep my watches in the best condition and to maximise the service interval what should I be doing? Anything specific to Seiko I should know?

I read that a watch winder doesn't wind a watch so a completely wound down watch will stay that way and likewise it will keep a fully wound down watch fully wound. Is this correct?

I was looking at this model by Modalo:

fb1190e3cd6e78d99a503f9876e49f78.png

MAGMA

Any comments on Modalo in general? I liked it because each rotator is independent. Also it looks stylish and is German made.

Many thanks!

·
Registered
595 Posts
Two thoughts come to mind.

First is - you already ordered it, so why don't you give a nice little report on how it workds out?

Next is - I think the general idea is to keep automatics wound. The winder should have a timer that allows for pretty much full time operation, just set the timer.

And I'll share my own thoughts.....

There is no flippin way, I'm going to fork over the cash to buy a winder that would handle say... 8 or 10 watches, for my own situation. Hmmm what to do?

Idea! I saw a neat Christmas tree rotating base. I can see getting one of those, cutting the legs short, making a little inclined stand for it, and affixing a wooden disk with enough home-made "watch holders" on it to take care of my current collection, plus some room to spare. The base has got to have some torque to it, able to rotate an 8 foot Christmas tree at 1/2 rpm. Some quick calculation....30rph, 720rpd. Yes, I'm a cheap so-and-so!

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I've ordered Seiko automatic watches not that watch winder. Don't want a watch winder for more than 2 at a time as I'll rotate them. I think there is a mistake in the listing for this Modalo - don't think it takes batteries. I've found one that meets my requirements - Spin-R. Only problem is that I think its expensive.

SPIN-R

·
Registered
3,025 Posts
I decided I don't need winders. I imagine that the watch will need a servicing sooner if it is running 24/7 always. If i let it sit a few days dead between wears I think it would last a bit longer, but I have no science to back that up. people seem pretty split on the topic...

I don't mind taking the watch every morning from the case and giving it a few shakes to get it going and setting the time. doesn't take long at all

·
Registered
929 Posts
I decided I don't need winders. I imagine that the watch will need a servicing sooner if it is running 24/7 always. If i let it sit a few days dead between wears I think it would last a bit longer, but I have no science to back that up. people seem pretty split on the topic...

I don't mind taking the watch every morning from the case and giving it a few shakes to get it going and setting the time. doesn't take long at all

·
Premium Member
72,481 Posts
I just let my autos die when not on my wrist. I've found it to be no trouble setting the date and time prior to wearing it and the only thing that would make me consider a winder was if a watch had a Moon phase complication without a quick set.

·
Registered
6,060 Posts
I would skip the watch winder and let them wind down when not wearing them. It saves wear on the movement. I have a few watches(divers watches or larger watches etc) I only wear during the warm months(spring to early fall) and put away in the late fall and winter due to not being very comfortable under layers of clothing. The automatic watches are left to run down and not touched until the spring. The regular quartz divers watches (i.e. not kinetic or solar) are put away in their boxes and left until spring and the Solar watches are left in an area that has light to allow it to charge.

Now if you are not using a watch for a year or so then perhaps a watch winder is in order.

I guess with the SRP watch you bought you could hand wind the watch in order to keep it running off the wrist

·
Registered
1,848 Posts
+1 to letting them run down. If they are not being kept in regular rotation, the winder will just add to wear and eat power while doing so

·
Registered
1,706 Posts
I think in the same way as most of those who posted above. Unless you are wearing the watch, there is no advantage in having it running all the time. On the other hand, if may be bad if a watch does not run for a long period of time (6 months? More, less? I do not know). Since now I have more then 10 autos, I do the following: around the 15 of every even numbered month (February, April, ...., December) I start to put the watches I have not used in that and the previous month in a watch winder for at least two full days. I can have four watches running in a winder at a time (I have two winders that take two watches each). Thus, that procedure often requires that I put from four to twelve watches in the winders every even numbered month. With this procedure I ensure that every watch runs and get the full power reserve at least every other month. It may not be perfect, but that was the best I could devise after reading many posts on the advantages and disadvantages of keeping an automatic watch running all the time.

·
Registered
12,796 Posts
If you decide on a winder, check out the ones from Brookstone. I have the 4 head version and it works well. However, I'd pay the extra $20 for the extended warranty as I had one of the heads die and they refunded my money, which I used to buy another one with a new extended warranty. Quiet, lots of variations on speeds and directions should cover any watch you buy.

I have the 4 head version, but you can get 1- and 2-head versions.

As to the pro's and con's of winders, I have one because I rotate through many watches and I like for them to be running when I put one on. I have a moonphase that's really nice to have on the winder, as it's a bit of a chore to reset when it runs down. I don't think winders are necessary, but a nice convenience.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts