WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Do you guys put your low rotation watches on a winder to keep it wound up or manually adjust them again each time you put it on?

I let my low rotation watches with date (GMTIIC, Sinn UK, Blumo) wind down and manually adjust them again when I put them on again.

Watches without date (Speedy Pro, BB blue), I'll pick up the watch for the next rotation exactly at the time when it last stop.

How for you guys do it?

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

·
Rolex / Tudor
14,596 Posts
I have 3 Wolf winders and they all have dust on them. I never use them. Personally, I don't care for winders. It seems like letting your car run in the garage until the next time you want to drive it.

·
Registered
2,451 Posts
Agree with Jason. I have two of my watches on a winder, but honestly I don't see the point. His car analogy is spot on. A winder would be helpful if you have a very complicated watch that's hard to reset, but even then they usually have pushers or, in the case of the IWC Portuguese Perpetual Calendar, a health power reserve (seven days in this case) to where it doesn't matter.

·
Registered
5,505 Posts

·
Registered
2,248 Posts
I rotate my watches frequently and have a wolf 3 slot winder. I do prefer the convenience. Whatever you prefer, no right or wrong answer.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I tend to believe that all things mechanical have a finite lifespan. By letting the movement wind down to a stop when not in use will help extend the movement service interval and ultimately the watch's lifespan.

Sent from my SM-N920I using Tapatalk

·
Registered
5,377 Posts
What's a winder?

·
Registered
5,505 Posts

·
Registered
437 Posts
No winder for me. If I owned anything that was more of a "special occasions" watch, or if my collection ever gets so vast that I'm unable to wear each at least once every few weeks (here's to hoping, but unlikely) I might consider investing - but to me it's not a problem to set and wind before wearing.

·
Registered
94 Posts
I have a GMT Coke and BLNR. While I am wearing the Coke in the summer, I occasionally will switch to the BLNR. In the fall I'll start wearing the BLNR as primary watch. Now grant it, it's only two watches but personally I enjoy setting the time; scrolling through the date. I enjoy feeling the solidness of a well designed and built machine.

Most of the joy of owning a fine time piece is visual, but to appreciate the true craftsmanship one really must pick it up; hold it in your hand and feel it. You can certainly feel the quality of a Rolex just by rotating the crown between your thumb and index finger. I though about getting a watch winder at one point, but I would just miss a large part of why I purchased a Rolex. I guess it would be different if I had to wear a different watch 3-4 days a week.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
711 Posts
I have a few low rotation watches that I wear very rare. So put them on my winder from time to time only for winding action without setting.
My other watches are used frequently so I don' t need a winder here.

·
Registered
987 Posts
I was going along with the "why buy a watch winder" crowd until someone in another forum made this point:

"Remember most watches fail when humans intervene like resetting dates and time so I find the convenience of a winder not only allows me to wear any watch straight from its storage but saves my unwanted interventions"

That along brought me to an abrupt halt and now I'm trying to decide if I want to keep my quad winder in operation.

·
Registered
3,802 Posts
I was going along with the "why buy a watch winder" crowd until someone in another forum made this point:

"Remember most watches fail when humans intervene like resetting dates and time so I find the convenience of a winder not only allows me to wear any watch straight from its storage but saves my unwanted interventions"

That along brought me to an abrupt halt and now I'm trying to decide if I want to keep my quad winder in operation.
It's not setting the date or time that puts your watch at risk. It's handling the watch at all. I've often thought that a watch is never at greater risk than when you're taking it off and putting it back in in the bathroom for showering. A waist-high drop to tile has probably killed more watches than anything that could happen to the watch while it's actually on the wrist. You're just as likely to accidentally drop a watch while putting it on or off a winder as picking it up to set the time.

If the watch is half decently made and you aren't a moron about it (e.g. changing the date between 9pm and 3am) I fail to see how operating the date and time adjustment occasionally would put any more wear or damage on the movement than keeping it constantly running and never letting the mainspring unwind.

Plus, given the inherent inaccuracy of mechanical watches, you're likely going to have to reset the time every couple weeks (at the very least, and perhaps every few days for less accurate watches) anyway if you want your watch to show reasonably accurate time.

·
Registered
987 Posts
On the note of date changing, I just put the date box one day prior to the current and then adjust the time until it's the right time and date.

Sent from my HTC One M9 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
770 Posts
I have a couple of winders...Never used them...Theres something (to me) very intimate about setting your watch and manually winding....Man morphing with machine....lol...Seriously though, It's kind of a cool thing to manually set and wind your watch...I can actually feel the quality craftsmanship when I set my watch....This is one of the reasons why I would never own a smart watch like apple watch...There's something really cool about wearing a work of art, a piece of machinery on your wrist...Way cooler than an iPhone on your wrist....Not cool

·
Registered
89 Posts
I have a couple of winders...Never used them...Theres something (to me) very intimate about setting your watch and manually winding....Man morphing with machine....lol...Seriously though, It's kind of a cool thing to manually set and wind your watch...I can actually feel the quality craftsmanship when I set my watch....This is one of the reasons why I would never own a smart watch like apple watch...There's something really cool about wearing a work of art, a piece of machinery on your wrist...Way cooler than an iPhone on your wrist....Not cool
Agree! 100%! That's what I especially love about my Speedy Pro: need to wind it every day I wear it.

·
Registered
73 Posts
I've had several winders go bad on me, so I stopped using mine. I also subscribe to the theory that it wears out the watch faster through the friction of movement so I no longer use my winder.

For my day/date watches I sometimes don't worry about how accurate they are as long as the time is accurate - especially if I'm just wearing it for a day or two. If longer, I'll make sure everything is accurate.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts