WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

How important is watches crown position for you?

• Very important! It's like rims on the car can change an impression a lot!

Votes: 63 54.3%
  • I don't really care.

Votes: 38 32.8%
  • Not important at all! It neither mean nor change anything.

Votes: 15 12.9%
1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
2,616 Posts
I voted I dont care...but I feel as though it needs to be qualified.

I love the ideas of crowns in new positions...but its by no means a deal breaker on me buying or rejecting a piece...

·
Registered
2,218 Posts
Call me old fashioned, but I like 'em at 3 O'Clock.

·
Registered
3,080 Posts
Crown position isn't important but the size and type of crown is.

·
Registered
3,593 Posts
Call me old fashioned, but I like 'em at 3 O'Clock.
It is just that for right handers generally a 3 o'clock crown is easier to use? I have several watches with the 4 o'clock or something o'clock down by the lug and it is harder to set or wind while wearing the watch. For me.

Yeah, so call me old fashioned too.

edit: I forgot to vote, but that being said, the position on the watch won't affect my decision to buy it or how I think it looks.

-s-

·
Registered
2,218 Posts
It is just that for right handers generally a 3 o'clock crown is easier to use? I have several watches with the 4 o'clock or something o'clock down by the lug and it is harder to set or wind while wearing the watch. For me.
I've haven't yet handled a watch with a 4 O'Clock crown, and I hadn't thought about that, but it is probably true. This is probably doubly true of me, as I have big, clumsy hands that are ill-suited to fine-tuning things in small spaces.
I actually mainly prefer it for aesthetic reasons. I wear big watches and bend my hand back a lot, but don't have the problem of the crown digging in to my hand, as I have heard tell of.
A lot of it is just aesthetic. There are some watches with 4 O'Clock crowns where it looks good (Debaufre Triton.) There are some where it looks, to my eye, stupid (Seiko Monster, Seiko MM.) Then there are some where it doesn't really matter (Seiko 007.)

·
Registered
1,366 Posts
In general, different crown positions catch my attention, so I voted as such. I can say that the larger the watch, the less interested I am in crown at 3. I'd prefer 2 or 4, or even 9 ('destro') in these instances.

·
Registered
1,471 Posts
3:00 for me. I also like only round watches. Very conservative when it comes to my wrist warriors.

·
Registered
5,301 Posts
I'm a lefty and wear watches on my right hand
and am very comfortable with the crown away from my hand.

Crown position is not important as long as it is not on the "opposite side" of the watch.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
What are they? I'd be happy to list them too. I remember seeing some references to watches with crowns on the back, but failed to find them again. Thanks!

·
Registered
514 Posts
The first is a LeCoultre Futurematic, and the second is a Bulova Accutron 214. There are a bunch out there, I know Rolex and Patek have made them too.

·
Registered
1,415 Posts
I prefer having them at 3, but I like the idea of a 4 o'clock crown that doesn't dig in.

One of the more pleasant surprises about the Speedmaster Professional is that it has something of a compromise. The crown is at 3, so it looks traditional (duh, it's a Speedmaster) and it's easy to wind, but it has big crown guards that sit flush with the crown. This makes the watch feel like it has no crown at all, making it very comfortable.

So I guess my preference would be 3 o'clock, with big time crown guards.

Photo credit to Expedition Exchange

·
Registered
2,532 Posts
If there is only one crown/pusher, I prefer it at 3- or 4-o'clock. To my eye, watches with only one crown look weird if it is anywhere else.

·
Registered
3,788 Posts
Your last two poll options ("I don't care" and "Not important") are kinda the same. You need another option in your poll: "Somewhat important, but only one factor."

D

1 - 20 of 42 Posts