WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
254 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone take into account the day's weather when deciding which watch to wear for the day? Let me clarify: it's been extremely humid where I live the last few days and I find that when it gets this bad, it can make the majority of my watches feel uncomfortable to wear.

I typically try to wear watches with either a stainless steel band or NATO strap on hot and humid days. I don't wear leather because I've ruined a couple of leather straps by wearing them on hot and humid days for long periods of time. I also don't particularly wear silicon or rubber straps on days like these because it irritates my wrist. Am I crazy?

Reactions: Davidka

·
Registered
1,443 Posts
Don't consider the watch itself so much. Would consider the strap much more. Perlon and mesh work the best for me on hot and humid days.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A3003 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
6,136 Posts
Actually, I just took the Seiko brand basic rubber strap off my Monster and put on a double layer nylon 2 piece Kwik release BluShark, it's been humid and rainy for what seems like weeks!

Sent from my K92 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
415 Posts
Being the owner of 2 solar watches,
I always like to wear my solar watches on sunny days and outdoor events. Swimming or beach?

Winter is not a great season for my solar watches. Charging is reduced due to cloud and lower sun altitude. Therefore any sunny winter day may call out the solar watches to keep them alive.

Mich

Attachments

Reactions: scooby

·
Registered
3,961 Posts
In rain or hot/humid weather I keep the few vintage watches that I own in the case and off the wrist. Most are no longer considered water resistant at all.

·
Registered
1,421 Posts
Yes. I live in a tropical weather country and it is often very humid. If I am going to work, I know I will be indoors most of the day so I can get away with wearing a leather strap. But if I am out and about at weekends, I’ll wear something on bracelet, nato or a rubber strap.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
749 Posts
I live in California where the weather fluctuates between "perfect" and "slightly less perfect". I've lately moved to bracelets because they go with any color belt-shoe combination, but the watches I have on leather are just as comfortable as Nato straps (and better than scratchy, fiddly Perlon), though I favor rally straps and do treat them with leather conditioner to waterproof them. Canvas bands are the most comfortable, but look ratty after some wear, and are just too casual for my medium fast-paced, California suburban life-style.

·
Registered
705 Posts
I think it is unlikely you are are crazy. I think it's just personal preference as far as comfort goes; I wore almost exclusively bracelets when I got into watches, now I almost always wear Iso's, with leather the go to when I'm somewhat more dressed up. To me Iso's are just super comfortable, and to me comfort isJob #1 !!

·
Registered
565 Posts
Often having to travel to hot and humid countries, I pretty much wear watches on bracelets only, and with room to expand if necessary. So you're not alone.

·
Registered
4,300 Posts
Sure do, usually more for the strap than the watch itself. If it’s going to rain a lot I won’t wear a leather strap, or a watch with lower water resistance.

Seems reasonable to me!

·
Premium Member
24,996 Posts
Yes I do. It’s horses for courses. I wear my trusty 300m WR Submariner when the weather bureau forecasts rain and I wear my Omega Speedmaster when it is a bone dry day.

I don’t like my leather straps getting wet and yuck.

·
Registered
254 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
glad to hear i'm not the only one. hopefully this incredibly humid weather where i live breaks soon, until then, steel it is.

·
Registered
3,304 Posts
Not the weather per se, but rather the conditions the watch will be exposed to. If it’s a hot and sunny day and I’m going to be doing something on the water, then I’ll reach for my solar Tuna.

If it’s going to be a hot, muggy day and I’m going to be doing work/exercise outside, especially if sunscreen and/or insect repellent will be required, then I’ll reach for something on a bracelet, as I can clean the watch easier in the shower that follows.

I won’t wear anything vintage or anything on leather if I’m going to be outside in hot, muggy weather, but I have no problem if I’m going to be inside all day.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
112 Posts
I'm worried about the leather band of my watch, BUT i like the look so much =( I probably need a new strap soon after 2 years of subjecting the leather to humid conditions. If only there's a strap that LOOKS like leather on the outside, but has some sort of silicon or something lining part that comes in contact with your wrist. Getting the watch dry enough to be comfortable to wear takes too long. hahahaha

·
Registered
10 Posts
I'm worried about the leather band of my watch, BUT i like the look so much =( I probably need a new strap soon after 2 years of subjecting the leather to humid conditions. If only there's a strap that LOOKS like leather on the outside, but has some sort of silicon or something lining part that comes in contact with your wrist. Getting the watch dry enough to be comfortable to wear takes too long. hahahaha
You'll be glad to hear that rubber-lined leather straps exist and are very much a thing!

1 - 20 of 25 Posts