WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 21 of 65 Posts

·
Registered
583 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
In these difficult times when most of us are staying close to home I truly miss the days when I could freely travel and engage in all sorts of pursuits. My watches were a big part of that, and I wish I would have documented their presence during those adventures with pictures that I could look back on. My diver diving, my Alpinist in the Alps, and so on. When Covid is behind us that’s going to change!

For now let me say that I have enjoyed browsing through these forums, but I have noticed that there are too many divers that do not dive, too many Explorers that do not explore, and too many adventure watches that only venture from a desk to a file cabinet and back.

How about a thread filled with pictures of watches doing what they were meant to do? New or old, let’s see them.

I can promise you these two below will soon be getting into more mischief and I will definitely take a ton of pictures next time. Now if I can only convince Elon Musk to let me hitch a ride what a great pic of my Speedmaster that would be!

·
Registered
770 Posts
This is a great idea for a thread!
In these difficult times when most of us are staying close to home I truly miss the days when I could freely travel and engage in all sorts of pursuits. My watches were a big part of that, and I wish I would have documented their presence during those adventures with pictures that I could look back on. My diver diving, my Alpinist in the Alps, and so on. When Covid is behind us that’s going to change!

For now let me say that I have enjoyed browsing through these forums, but I have noticed that there are too many divers that do not dive, too many Explorers that do not explore, and too many adventure watches that only venture from a desk to a file cabinet and back.

How about a thread filled with pictures of watches doing what they were meant to do? New or old, let’s see them.

I can promise you these two below will soon be getting into more mischief and I will definitely take a ton of pictures next time. Now if I can only convince Elon Musk to let me hitch a ride what a great pic of my Speedmaster that would be!
View attachment 15520700

View attachment 15520701
So what is it the Alpinist normally does?

·
Registered
583 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
So what is it the Alpinist normally does?
The alpinist is billed as an adventurer’s watch. It was originally produced in 1961 for Japanese mountain climbers. Mountain climbing and hiking through mountains is a big thing in Japan because their terrain is filled with ranges. Anyway, to answer your question it is basically a field style watch for the outdoors.

·
Registered
583 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Lol, if my dad did these things... he'd have his Omega Seamaster on while he's digging a hole in the backyard so he can plant a tree.
Old school. I like it.

·
Registered
1,397 Posts
Mine get outside often, but I am not usually taking photos. These Photos are from the spring and summer.

Also, 41Mets started a good outdoor thread back in March or April that had some good shots in it. I would post the link but I’m being rather lazy about it.
92798828-2C0B-4177-9382-6F5058B497C1.jpeg
0D1A630D-DB37-44F6-AC4D-32AFF27C7C17.jpeg
8971C708-B975-4DCE-B93D-D0ED290407AB.jpeg

·
Registered
773 Posts
Old school. I like it.
Hahah... my dad never serviced it in the 30+ years he wore it. He finally gave it to me when the automatic feature stopped. Now it's mine and I bought him a Casio Edifice because the Citizen that he was wearing was getting so nasty that I was embarrassed for him on the golf course in The Villages. I bought him an Ingersoll Regent that I'm going to give him at Christmas when I see him so he'll have something a bit more luxury-looking to wear when he's at the symphony.

·
Registered
1,211 Posts
Kudos for sneaking a picture of your Spyderco into the frame, the guys over on The Cafe would appreciate it, if you know what I mean.

·
Registered
773 Posts
What’s wrong with that? Watches should be used and it should be expected that non dress watches will get scratched while worn by someone living life.
Hahah... my dad is awesome, don't get me wrong. But he could easily afford to go buy like a Timex or something to wear while he's working in the yard or building stuff. He'd come home from work, change out of his suit, and keep the Omega on, and just start tooling away. Like... chopping wood with his Omega on... but he's always been far more pragmatic and looked at things strictly as objects and not things to take care of (I mean, except his family of course). Which is probably the most healthy attitude to have, but I see someone doing manual labor with an Omega and I'm like... man, just take it off for a few minutes.

1 - 21 of 65 Posts