WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just ordered a second black PVD citizen titanium eco-drive and it's out for delivery in -7 degree F wind chill, is that somehow damaging for the watch? :think:

·
Registered
506 Posts
Nope, I don't think watches can feel wind chill

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Alright. I was hoping it wouldn't get brittle and chip or anything. The actual temp is around 5 degrees here.

·
Registered
2,869 Posts
It will be in a box, in a van. It will survive :)

Reactions: Bradjhomes

·
Moderator Public Forum
23,730 Posts
I just ordered a second black PVD citizen titanium eco-drive and it's out for delivery in -7 degree F wind chill, is that somehow damaging for the watch? :think:

The watch is a heat sink on your wrist so it will stay relatively warm and not be impacted by the cold.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Then out of curiosity, what temperatures could a titanium watch not withstand? I often jog in the bitter cold (0 deg. F and below that) and could the watch withstand that temperature for a few hours?

·
Premium Member
73,823 Posts
A bit of cold won't hurt it. While you're wearing it the watch will tend to adopt the temperature of you rather than the surroundings. You will, essentially, keep it warm.

·
Registered
985 Posts
No impact on the watch in the long term. The only circumstances where the temperature will impact the watch is with the accuracy or timekeeping and only if you aren't keeping it warm by wearing it. A few years ago, I was wearing a quartz watch outside my snow parka because I didn't want to pull back my cuffs to check the time. It was bitterly cold at lest -20. After I got back inside, I found the watch was off by 10 minutes. However, once I reset the watch and I wore it on my wrist, the quartz accuracy returned.

·
Registered
2,801 Posts

·
Registered
4,291 Posts
Being a Canadian, I am no stranger to cold, and I have received some watches in the mail that at the time were not running when I received them because of the cold.

Yes, temperature will affect how automatic watches function just like all mechanical devices.

Will it affect the watch in the long run, probably not.

·
Registered
6,580 Posts
Even though nowadays it's colder down south, I have lived and worked in Alaska most of my life and the only watches that failed me outdoors were Liquid Crystal Display. My outdoor auto of choice is the Seiko 007.

·
Registered
8,404 Posts
You'll know when you wear it. Once it's on though, you're likely to keep it warm enough cold won't matter. Odds are its fine as I suspect the cargo hold of a plane at >30,000 feet is colder than the UPS truck or the, at most, 8 hours or so buried in packaging and box with the cardboard keeping the wind away.

Reactions: ShaggyDog
1 - 16 of 16 Posts