WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,

I just moved to Rotterdam with my small collection of watches. I often try to buy and sell on the second hand market in my former country and I wish to continue with this is the Netherlands. Do anyone have any ideas of good forums or dealers who trade with watches, preferably in the Rotterdam area?

Best,

·
Registered
256 Posts
Hello,

I just moved to Rotterdam with my small collection of watches. I often try to buy and sell on the second hand market in my former country and I wish to continue with this is the Netherlands. Do anyone have any ideas of good forums or dealers who trade with watches, preferably in the Rotterdam area?

Best,
I'd be interested too, I'm about to move to Leiden/The Hague (tbd) from London. For starters, looking for a reputable watchmaker for crystal replacements and the like.

Sent from my couch

·
Registered
Patek 5167A, AP Royal Oak 14790st, Rolex Datejust 116234, Rolex OP 114300
273 Posts
I lived in Amsterdam from 2011-2014 and during that time, I essentially took a break from watch deals. At the time the EUR/USD exchange rate was between $1.30-1.40, so between that and the difference in the watch markets, I found Dutch prices to be inflated.

The other factor is negotiating with Dutchies isn't the easiest... and in general doing business with them can be tedious. There's no doubt that there's a large luxury market in Holland and that Dutch men love their watches, it's just not a world I was in a position to be a part of :)

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hi,

We dutchies are very easy going in negotiations. You can visit the Dutch watch forum horlogrforum.nl off course this is in Dutch. A lot of watch stores and vintage watch stores are located in Maastricht.

Richard

Verzonden vanaf mijn iPad met Tapatalk

·
Registered
273 Posts
Ha, kinda curious what you have experienced then. Are the difference between Dutchies and Americans that huge?

I'm clearly generalizing, but my experience with Dutchies is that they're shrewd negotiatiors. I think it's fairly deeply rooted culturally being a nation of traders.... The Dutch are fiscally savvy and plan longterm, so I find Dutch sellers to be less "motivated" (read:desperate) than American sellers. Americans are so motivated by instant gratification that they'll settle and lose a little money to move onto the next thing, where a Dutchman would sit and patiently wait until he got the deal he was most satisfied with. They're a much more patient people...

I'm applying a broad generalization, but it was my perception as an expat doing business in Holland for a few years. :)

·
Registered
451 Posts
I'm clearly generalizing, but my experience with Dutchies is that they're shrewd negotiatiors. I think it's fairly deeply rooted culturally being a nation of traders.... The Dutch are fiscally savvy and plan longterm, so I find Dutch sellers to be less "motivated" (read:desperate) than American sellers. Americans are so motivated by instant gratification that they'll settle and lose a little money to move onto the next thing, where a Dutchman would sit and patiently wait until he got the deal he was most satisfied with. They're a much more patient people...

I'm applying a broad generalization, but it was my perception as an expat doing business in Holland for a few years. :)
totally True...

·
Registered
1,481 Posts
Reactions: Buramu

·
Registered
273 Posts
Welcome here, welcome to the Netherlands! Unfortunately I can't really help you; I shop in the lower price range and tend to buy my watches new, often online from trusted sellers. But I can recommend this book for you expats out there:

bol.com | The UnDutchables 7.0, Colin White | 9781888580471 | Boeken
I can give UnDutchables a second vote of confidence... So many spot-on Dutch stereotypes that will save you like a year of observations and give you a real LOL.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts