WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
8,409 Posts
Does any company exist which produces American made, high quality watches?

Thanks.
RGM (their own movement [based on Unitas], but they do outsource cases, etc. - I think they now do their own dials) and Sedona WatchWorks (everything except the ETA movement made by him).

·
Registered
1,355 Posts
With the exception of the RGM 801 movement no mechanical movements have been made in the US since Hamilton's last year of manufacture, 1969.

·
Registered
90 Posts
koboldwatch.com

"While the first chronographs bearing the Kobold brand name were once produced and assembled in Switzerland, many of today's models contain at least some U.S.-made components and most models are now assembled in our modern facility in Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania." M Kobold

I have one of these - well made - and the beauty is, they limit production to 2500 units annually, so the chances of seeing one on someones wrist is rare - nice!

·
Registered
2,184 Posts
I'd like to add that I believe the custom MKII's are assembled in PA...

·
Banned
21,244 Posts
Made in the World, Assembled in USA.
At least some companies try to give back some horology to the US!

·
Registered
1,803 Posts
It used to be that American made time pieces were the best the world had to offer and Swiss time pieces were of shoddy and questionable quality... kind of like how we consider Chinese time pieces now.

·
Banned
21,244 Posts
It used to be that American made time pieces were the best the world had to offer and Swiss time pieces were of shoddy and questionable quality... kind of like how we consider Chinese time pieces now.
Yes, a pity the Heritage was lost.
before I joined WUS and got educated, I had no idea about the Superiority of the US horology in the past!

·
Registered
7,751 Posts
Well, PP, AP and VC have ruled the roost for a long time, but Hamilton came fairly close for a short period ... of course, the English have had a great tradition in clock and watchmaking in the 18th and 19th centuries too!

·
Banned
21,244 Posts
Not.

·
Banned
21,244 Posts
I believe the English made the first reliable Marine Chronometer
i would phrase it - The first Marine Cronometer. Full stop.
Mr Harrison spent his life making and perfecting one.
As a result, the British Navy could navigate properly.

·
Banned
21,244 Posts
I believe the English made the first reliable Marine Chronometer
Mr Harrison spent his life designing,making and perfecting .

But the US manufacturers took the "Handmade" part out of movement making. And by industrialising the manufacturing, they produced highly accurate, affordable watches (PW).

·
Registered
7,751 Posts
Mr Harrison spent his life designing,making and perfecting .

But the US manufacturers took the "Handmade" part out of movement making. And by industrialising the manufacturing, they produced highly accurate, affordable watches (PW).
And, the Japanese perfected the "industrialized manufacture" of the watch movement (Seiko, especially) :-d

·
Banned
21,244 Posts
The Yankees did it in the late 1800.
Japanese maybe later? I think, anyway.

think about this:
The US buggered up the Swiss cottage watch making. The Swiss learned a lesson, built them the US way, and with clever advertising buggered the US back.
Then came the Japanese, they started producing super precice quartz watches and basically killed the Swiss.
The Swiss brought in Fashion, recouped some of the sales, and now sell well, making watches in a highly Automated way (as the US did 100 years before), but now also bringing in some "handmade" values.

·
Registered
7,751 Posts
The Yankees did it in the late 1800.
Japanese maybe later? I think, anyway.

think about this:
The US buggered up the Swiss cottage watch making. The Swiss learned a lesson, built them the US way, and with clever advertising buggered the US back.
Then came the Japanese, they started producing super precice quartz watches and basically killed the Swiss.
The Swiss brought in Fashion, recouped some of the sales, and now sell well, making watches in a highly Automated way (as the US did 100 years before), but now also bringing in some "handmade" values.
:-! The story of one-man-upship continues ... perhaps the Swiss will have the last laugh after all (or will the Chinese throw a wrench in the Swiss works)?

·
Banned
21,244 Posts

·
Registered
1,803 Posts
According to the Wiki, a Frenchman is actually credited with perfecting the marine chronometer that Harrison developed.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts