WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I like movado museums.

I was curious if there are any similar alternatives with the place dial and in a slim yet still wide enough case?

I looked at ones from skagen but they were slightly small on my wrist.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
thanks for that, i saw a citizen one similar to the orient u suggested.

i think i like the cleaner look of movados and skagens. ill prob end up springing for a used movado, but as its simply for work wear, i dont care if i can find a cheaper option.

·
Registered
79 Posts
I've seen a few Orient's, I believe one of them was called the "Politician" that resembled the Museum dial. I'd head over to Orientwatchusa to take a look.
I assume you meant the FGW01009B, they have it listed as the "Class" at OUSA.
FGW01009B | Orient Quartz Watches & Reviews | Orient Watch USA

It does look quite similar, and it has a sapphire crystal.

If you really want the Movado, then you probably won't really happy with one that is similar alternative.
Keep an eye on eBay and the sales forum and good luck.

·
Registered
2,713 Posts
I assume you meant the FGW01009B, they have it listed as the "Class" at OUSA.
FGW01009B | Orient Quartz Watches & Reviews | Orient Watch USA

It does look quite similar, and it has a sapphire crystal.

If you really want the Movado, then you probably won't really happy with one that is similar alternative.
Keep an eye on eBay and the sales forum and good luck.
That looks like the one. They've changed the name since I've last seen it. Not a bad watch for the price.

·
Registered
2,289 Posts
Check out a citizen stiletto, looks kinda similar but IMO has is unique twist to it. If you really want the museum dial, I would just save up and get the Movado. I came to realize no matter how close something looks to something you truly want, fully satisfies that itch. In one way or the other, I usually end up getting the watch I truly wanted and end up taking a loss selling the look-a-like watch. IMO, I usually get the watch I am yearning for when the price difference is a couple hundred compared to a couple thousands.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
i looked at the stiletto, nice but not quite the same. i think so far skagen is the most similar, the ones with the no markings. but they too small.

movado museum is a very nice dress watch.

·
Registered
3,207 Posts
Obaku do some minimalist watches that have a similar aesthetic. I've never seen one in person, so I can't comment on quality.

·
Registered
2,289 Posts
Movado itself created a less expensive line called Movado bold.
Never realized it was cheaper of the line, I thought that was why they created ESQ for. I think Movado is just trying to get a younger audience for their watch. I myself am not a fan of Movado.

·
Registered
2,713 Posts
Never realized it was cheaper of the line, I thought that was why they created ESQ for. I think Movado is just trying to get a younger audience for their watch. I myself am not a fan of Movado.
I wouldn't go near a Movado Bold. They are extremely cheap feeling if you get to handle one. Mostly plastic cases and bracelets that squeak when moved. They're also not Swiss made but rather made in China with a Swiss quartz movement. For what they go for I think they're grossly overpriced. For the right price I think they'd sell but for upwards of $400 for a Chinese plastic watch it doesn't seem worth it. In comparing them to ESQ it basically is an ESQ with the Movado name on it. Same idea behind using a Swiss quartz movement but Asian case and bracelet as ESQ but with the added bonus of charging a premium because "Movado" is written on the dial rather than ESQ. If you're still really dead set on getting a Movado I'd get a regular museum dial collection watch thats still Swiss made from one of the Movado Company Store's you see at various outlet centers. They're discounted there and generally cost even less than most online retailers.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
ive looked at so many minimalist watches today and nothing quite grabs me like a movado. they werent my thing either until recently. i think every watch has its place.

·
Registered
521 Posts

·
Registered
309 Posts
Here is one watch very similar to the Movado Museum, and perhaps better (for me) because of its very accurate mechanical ultraslim 2209 caliber from Minsk watch Factory (Luch) and because of its second hand : I mean that it's nice to see something moving !
I really like genuine Movado museum but what disturbs me a little - except the price - is the only 2 hands.
The watch I speak about is a soviet watch produced to export with “Cornavin” brand.
One can hate the band and/or gold (gold-platted in fact) watches in general, but this watch is interesting I think :

t2ec1610.jpg

The bad news is that I have only seen one for sale since I collect soviet ultraslim watches (more than 2 years...).

I've also seen a “Museum style” Cortebert quartz watch few weeks ago on the bay :

$_57-12.JPG

Both of these 2 watches have been sold between 100 and 150$ including shipping.

One can also easily find fake museum quartz watches in Honk-Kong for 3,32$, including shipping and 12 months warranty of course (!!!) but it's another story...
:rodekaarto|
$_10.JPG

1 - 15 of 15 Posts