WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm interested in getting my best men watches. I'll have two best men (they are my brothers) and they are both very stylish. The task of finding something that might work has become daunting, although now I understand that I should seriously consider dive watches. My budget is below $1250 each, and my goal would be to get them something that they would have never purchased for themselves, something that they'll wear fairly regularly, and something that they are pretty excited about. I mean we're brothers - and giving them a beautiful watch a few hours before I get married would make me incredibly happy.

Like anyone who has no idea what they're doing, I looked at used Rolex stuff first, and now understand that my budget won't allow me to give them a ziplock bag full of random parts, let alone a functioning watch.

So - what brands / models should I look into?

- Neither brother regularly wear a suit, but occasionally they'll rock a button up, so they are pretty casual even at work.
- One is in entertainment and the other works in fashion - but they'll both wear t-shirts to work a fair amount of the time.
- They are probably not going to want to spend a ton of money on servicing a fickle watch.
- They'd both love something used with some wear and tear. Rough around the edges is awesome.
- I don't want to get them something that is really, really trendy and of the moment (even though I gather that vintage divers are relatively hip right now).
- I think some semblance of resale value would be important, not for the sake of them hitting up a pawn shop while I'm heading down the isle, but much more so I can be more comfortable with the cost of the gifts (we're just wired that way).
- I don't know enough about the "franken" stuff that is being done to watches, but I'm not concerned about them having 100% original timepieces.

Thanks very much!

·
Registered
4,617 Posts
Get a quartz so you don't have to wind it up or do any service until they need a simple battery change. If you get used, you have to plan on the possibility you can't get two of the same thing and then there may be complaints. I would get two new sports watches. With a budget in the $600 or below range for each, I would look for any sporty Tissot or Victorinox. Most are quite rugged and have the Swiss badge, which has meaning to many people, especially those who are not all that familiar with watches (Victorinox, depending on the model, comes in some really nice presentation boxes with a Swiss Army knife as well). At those prices, resale value will be poor however with any watch. You may be able to get a used Longines HydroConquest or something like that at that price, but to get two in good condition may be hard. The cheaper you go with used, the more likely it is in poor condition.

If they are into Elvis, get a Hamilton Ventura.

Edit: Sorry, you mean $1250 for each watch. Longines Legend Diver for a non-quartz watch. I would look through the Longines and Hamilton catalog.

·
Registered
1,191 Posts
Shingle makes great quartz watches at a reasonable price. They also look like field watches, and they're rugged as hell

·
Registered
3,039 Posts
I've got nothing to offer in the way of used watches in that price range, its just not on my radar. But...

Total shot in the dark here: How about the Magrette Vantage in Bronze?

Its just a touch over budget for the pair. Automatic movement but not fickle. Great for casual wear, will have that rough around the edges look and get better with time. The only downside I can think of is that bronze might be a bit trendy.
v-bronze3.jpg

·
Registered
796 Posts
Sbdc007 seiko "shogun" $872 with low yen its in your budget. Will last them forever and the 6R15 movement is a tank
Other have covered this bad boy better than I ever could. Google it and check it out

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
4,172 Posts
That is a pretty good budget to get reliable mechanical watches with some style and ruggedness, while still being valuable enough to take care of or (gasp) resell later on. Unless you find a matching pair of nice used watches, I would suggest buying new.
I would recommend looking at the following brands: Seiko, Mido, Oris, and Hamilton. A cool approach to this would be to get two of the same model, but in different color. For example:
orig.jpg
2je8as2.jpg
9bb76f265f9d62c8e12de91dcbec8efb.jpg

Reactions: UberDave

·
Registered
4,172 Posts
Let me add that Longines Conquest/Hydroconquest are good options:
5bed1bfda14bb9697e617fb05058fe17.jpg
You could also get a pair of Glycines:
Glycine-Incursore-44mm.jpg

And although the Magrette's picture above might be considered "fashionable" because of the bronze case, they are pretty cool watches that seem to fit the description of what you want for your brothers.

·
Registered
5,494 Posts
Well, if used is ok, possibly used quartz Breitling Colt may be an option (they SHOULD be in budget). Good brand name, casual, bombproof watches and quartz watch so easy maintenance.

Quartz Tag Heuer may be an option brand new. (there are many within your budget) - also well known name, quite decent watch from my experience.

·
Registered
3,051 Posts
Try brands like Squale the 1545 or 50 ATMOS, Steinhart have several dive watches Ocean Vintage, O1V, Glycine 200 Combat. All mechanical, all running Swiss movements all good watches. Personally, I'd stay away from Quartz, reliable for sure but rarely hold their value like a decent Swiss mechanical.

Reactions: slcbbrown

·
Registered
1,351 Posts
With some serious searching you could find some Longines Legend Divers;

Alternatively you should be able to find Nomos Tangentes;

Or how about a pair of customized Stowa Fliegers;

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,821 Posts
Try brands like Squale the 1545 or 50 ATMOS, Steinhart have several dive watches Ocean Vintage, O1V, Glycine 200 Combat. All mechanical, all running Swiss movements all good watches. Personally, I'd stay away from Quartz, reliable for sure but rarely hold their value like a decent Swiss mechanical.
Good advice. Squale 50 Atmos is a near perfect choice, if you think diver styling will be appreciated. The 50 Atmos line doesn't have that Rolex look and there are several dial/bezel options.

·
Registered
1,830 Posts
If they're likely to appreciate our level of watchnerdiness, then I think something like a Squale, Stowa, Sinn, etc. would be great. If not, I'd get them something with a more recognizably "nice" name, like a Longines, Oris, or a pre-owned Omega (quartz Seamaster is probably available in $ range.)

·
Registered
1,719 Posts
go with a classic seiko mechanical watch maybe one from the prospex or even the seiko 5 line up or as others have mentioned an oris. can't go wrong with these...

·
Registered
26 Posts
My suggestion is the Sinn 104 A St Sa, $1,240. Nice size at 41mm diameter and 11.5mm thick. Also newly introduced this year.

While a "pilot" watch, it's water resistant to 200m. Sinn are excellent watches for the money and bombproof. It also has a Swiss Sellita movement that is reliable and a workhorse. Your brothers would not need to have the watch serviced for at least 5 years.

I think it's a clean, smart design and can dress up or down. It's also - while highly regarded among watchnerds - a bit under the radar, i.e., non watchnerds likely wouldn't recognize the brand but upon first glance, it's clear it's a well made watch.

Here's a review if you want to read more: https://www.hodinkee.com/articles/the-value-proposition-sinn-104-st-sa.

You can purchase the watches on watchbuys.com, Sinn's North American online distributor.

Congrats on your impending nuptials and good luck in the watch hunt!

Sent from my ... Wait, no one cares.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts