WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
620 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After I saw the Jaeger LeCoultre tribute to their own Polaris watch from the 60s in a thread here today, I went past a local dealer this evening only to find the watch sitting right in their window :). I went in and could try it out. What a beauty. 42 mm, domed plexy, clean dial, very aesthetic, perfect fit to my wrist, and a wonderful sounding alarm which reminded me of my school bell when I was a child, indicating the end of class.

jaeger-lecoultre-memovox-watch-tribute-to-polaris.jpg

This watch easily made it on my grail-list. To sooth the pain that I cannot afford it currently, I was thinking I should at least get a different watch with alarm. I know JLC makes the MEMOVOX in the Master control series, which is about half the prize but still above my budget.

Q1418430.jpg

I would be grateful for any suggestions for watches with alarm below $3k.
What a great complication this alarm is.

·
Registered
4,620 Posts
Aviator (Volmax) Russians with the Poljot 2612 movement from our forum sponsor (Vostok Watches.com):

·
Registered
620 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks! Those russian watches do have some exclusive dial designs! Here's another which does not look too bad:
b-2612_6503716b.jpg

Also thanks for pointing me in the right movement directions, Mike. I understand that besides the (highly desirable) JLC memovox, there is the AS 5008 used in western watches, then the Russian Poljot 2612 and the Chinese Seagull ST28. Maybe I could even get a vintage Jaeger LeCoultre memovox. However, I have no experience with buying vintage watches. They do not seem to come up often in the sales forum either.

Cheers

·
Registered
202 Posts
A vintage Memovox would be an awesome option. You don't have much to fear when buying vintage, as long as you do your reading. The guys around here really know their stuff. I've bought vintage watches before, always online, without issue. Finding a vintage Memovox in good shape could be a rewarding challenge. Beware, vintage watch collecting is addictive.

·
Registered
2,523 Posts
I have that exact Buran. It's a really nice watch, great case finish and nicely applied indices. Lume is pretty decent too.

·
Registered
620 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
brrrdn,
The ORIS is a nice watch - with silver batons it even resembles the JLC memovox. However, in that prize-range, I'd probably save a little more money and go directly for the JLC. Same goes for the Fortis mentioned above.

Escapemen,
thanks! The Vulcain if of course another classic. Will include it in my vintage search. However, the alarm of the JLC sounds definitely nicer:
Voutube video of Memovox Alarm
Youtube video of Cricket Alarm

Cheers

·
Registered
156 Posts
You are right. My suggestions all sounds like buzzers while the Memovox sounds like a real bell.

I am not that fond of school bells though. It took me decades to stop having nightmares of taking exams unprepared.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts