WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Moderator Public Forum
10,282 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
If you have one, I have a simple question - In your opinion, is it easier or harder, in general, than a normal date window to read the date at a glance? I know some date windows are bigger than others, but I'm just trying to get a general opinion.

My eyesight isn't getting any better over time and I'd like to know if I should just rule them out. I know for sure that I will never buy a watch with a date subdial again, and don't want to make the same mistake with a pointer date.

Cheers

·
Registered
3,236 Posts
Pointer dates aren't very "at a glance"...if your eyesight isn't the same as before I would reconsider going this route. It's not hard to read...but not as easy as a regular date window.

·
Registered
2,324 Posts
The easiest to read is probably watches with big date complication but they are usually very expensive. The other option is a monocle date window.

·
Registered
778 Posts
The easiest to read is probably watches with big date complication but they are usually very expensive. The other option is a monocle date window.
Big date complications aren't always very expensive. There is the Epos Big Date which you can find for around $500ish new and used, or if you're willing to buy quartz, there's the Citizen caliber 3100 and the Junkies Big Date for $250-$300.

I currently own a Breitling Navitimer Airborne, and the date pointer is a bit hard to read at a glance. But after a while, you get used to it and appreciate the aesthetics of it. I think date pointers look nice on a watch dial, rather than a date window which can easily look out of place.

·
Registered
6,065 Posts
Definitely harder to read

·
Banned
257 Posts
+1 Harder to read.
Too bad 31 is a number that doesn't help... you have to read the small numbers because the pointer position relative to hour markers gives no clue about the current day.

·
Registered
27,204 Posts
I'd also say harder to read. I like to check the date at a glance and don't like cluttering up the dial with too much info, I like to keep it simple.

·
Banned
21,244 Posts
It depends on the overall colour combination:
The quality of the pictures suck, but you get the idea!

This is much easier to red (Red pointer - Black numbers on Silver background)

than this combination, Red numbers on a Black background:

Reactions: GOJIN

·
Registered
1,344 Posts
Harder to read. I didn't choose this one for the legibility, but more for the balance of the dial. Date isnt very important for me on this specific style of watch, which is somewhat dressy.

·
Registered
4,624 Posts
Like said by Janne, it depends how it's done. Is it better to have a date window? Well I have some watches with very small date window and I don't think they would be easier to read for someone with a bad eyesight, same for that Sinn with red date on black disc, again, shown by Janne. I find my Revue Thommen very easy to read at a glance. Being an aircraft instruments builder and historically known for it's connection with pilot watches I think that the main characteristic of this watch is to have a very easy dial to read and the orange arrow is quite hard to miss... If done correctly, it can be more/as efficient as a date window IMHO.

·
Registered
5,042 Posts
I'm in the same boat an have an Oris Pointer Date which I think is about as legible as a watch like this gets:

Oris.jpg

but I can't see the date unless I look hard - and am wearing my glasses. Oris does make a Pointer Day watch which has the days of the week printed in rather large letters on the outside of the dial. It may be an option when my mind starts to go during the next phase of my decline:

201003301837.jpg

You may need to add a Suunto to your signature!

Besellers-Suunto-Mens-Elementum-Aqua-Grey-Rubber-Watch-SS014525000_51zRofd5zrL__495_428.jpg

Never mind that you'll be able to read the date, think of all the "can I wear this watch with a suit/tux or to a job interview/wedding" threads you'll be able to start!

·
Banned
21,244 Posts
this watch is a perfect example how a watch dial should be. 100% easy to read!

Nice with the greenish lume!

·
Registered
4,765 Posts
Harder to read. I didn't choose this one for the legibility, but more for the balance of the dial. Date isnt very important for me on this specific style of watch, which is somewhat dressy.

But that´s no pointer date, that you have here.

·
Registered
6,076 Posts
But that´s no pointer date, that you have here.
It is the right sub dial which is pointer date. not easy to read.

On the other hand, I just got this one, definitely easy to read date at 2:

·
Registered
2,843 Posts
Mine range from "good":

To "not so good":

Reactions: CCCP
1 - 20 of 28 Posts