WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

61 - 80 of 128 Posts

·
Registered
6,888 Posts
Two outer concentric rings (or squares/rectangles, as some shown here) of slightly different diameter/radius, connected with perpendicular lines indicating every minute.

·
Registered
1,269 Posts
Not a ton of experience in this area but it's hard to beat the Omega Railmaster which is just a classic.
Hmm... maybe, with due respect for its movement. At least it has a railroad track — its only feature which is remotely railroad-related.
Now, 3-6-9 numbers ono—Explo-like—then disproportionate markers in-between, sorry: platypus typicus. It’s begging for consistency in purpose and graphic design.

I prefer pre-Swatch group archives.

FCA5F360-5B1F-497D-B186-CE379DB3D736.jpeg

·
Premium Member
6,696 Posts
If there's proper terminology I'm missing, please correct me. I was referring to the ring on the outside of some watches' dials that look like railroad tracks. . .
After further researching this subject matter, I came upon the Fondation de la Haute Horlogerie / Foundation High Horology uses the term “Railroad” when describing “a minute scale on a dial that resembles a railway track”. In addition to FHH description, in Louis Nardin’s book “The Magic of Watches”, he goes on to state that: “When the minute scale is made out of two concentric circles connected by 60 cross lines, it is also called a railroad track . . .”

So, to answer your question, and to retract from what I previous posted, the term used for these types of dials is “Railroad Track”.

·
Registered
495 Posts
After further researching this subject matter, I came upon the Fondation de la Haute Horlogerie / Foundation High Horology uses the term “Railroad” when describing “a minute scale on a dial that resembles a railway track”. In addition to FHH description, in Louis Nardin’s book “The Magic of Watches”, he goes on to state that: “When the minute scale is made out of two concentric circles connected by 60 cross lines, it is also called a railroad track . . .”

So, to answer your question, and to retract from what I previous posted, the term used for these types of dials is “Railroad Track”.
Nice find

·
Registered
1,269 Posts
thanks! the sheer size of the piece helps with legibility too (56mm)
Even better! And, though I’m no fan of Breguet hands, these are really distinctive.
Now, how wide is the movement, or what is (literally) it’s calibre? Or please just show the watch with its back, lid, open. If the works really fills the case, this balance wheel must be BIG!

·
Registered
3,512 Posts
Even better! And, though I’m no fan of Breguet hands, these are really distinctive.
Now, how wide is the movement, or what is (literally) it’s calibre? Or please just show the watch with its back, lid, open. If the works really fills the case, this balance wheel must be BIG!
The movement is a L878.4 Longines true in-house, not an ETA movement. It's 37.9mm wide. Based on cal. 37.9 ABC. I've never opened it, sorry!

·
Registered
1,269 Posts
The movement is a L878.4 Longines true in-house, not an ETA movement. It's 37.9mm wide. Based on cal. 37.9 ABC. I've never opened it, sorry![
Thank you!
Funny; I keep an eye on an old 37.9 Longines, railroad track, Arab numerals, Breguet hands; pity it’s only 48mm.

I shall have to decide between this and an Arsa, old (8x?) Unitas with swan neck, Roman dial with spade hands, but 52mm...

61 - 80 of 128 Posts