WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
7,593 Posts
Depends on the watch. I prefer the first Tissot actually. As a general rule though most watches I like have applied indices.

·
Registered
4,248 Posts
I usually do not like dials if they are not applied indices. I remember a friend having a cheap wall clock growing up and the dial was merely some kind of hard paper with the printed indices on the clock as it was old and the side of the dial was sticking out and I can see it was just a thin sheet to cover the face of the clock. Strangely this has always reminded me of watches that have no applied indices I always thought of that cheap clock which in turn, put me off to the watch. I know, that is strange peeve but what WIS doesn't have at least one? Applied indices gives it more depth, detail and dimensions overall making it improve overall quality to my eyes at least.

·
Registered
17,054 Posts
On dress watches I far prefer applied indices (preferably baton markers, I generally dislike Roman numerals) and logos. On divers lumed numbers are fine instead.

·
Registered
6,462 Posts
Depends on the watch. I prefer the first Tissot actually. As a general rule though most watches I like have applied indices.
This was exactly my thought.

Certainly, the lovely enamel dials above are a great example of how applied markers aren't always better. That said, on a diver I much prefer at least an applied border of some sort around the index.

·
Registered
3,107 Posts
Given the choice, I prefer them applied..... But, painted on markers can't fall off ;-)

·
Moderator Public Forum
23,129 Posts
Kinda hard to generalize I think. I've seen applied, embossed, relieved, enameled and painted indices that were well done and others that were pretty cheesy. The process of creating the marker is really just the first step of many that are needed to create a pleasing result. I've seen applied makers that somehow indented the dial slightly around them.

At one time I thought Tissot was using embossed markers on their Le Locle series. Did they change to applied?

·
Registered
604 Posts
Don't have a preference - The dial either 'sings' to me, or it doesn't. I have a mixture of both applied & painted/printed in my collection..... I also have another option: The sandwich dial with cut-outs.

·
Registered
64 Posts
I also agree that generally, applied indices add a little more depth and contrast to the dial and there are a few watches that I would jump on immediately if they just had applied indices (Stowa MO/MA for example). Of course this isn't true for every watch, just depends

·
Registered
3,872 Posts
Depends entirely on the design of the watch and the quality of the execution. I think it's silly to dislike one or the other when either can be really well-designed and well-executed in the context of the overall watch design.

·
Premium Member
22,428 Posts
I had the Tissot Le Locle, and it doesn't have applied indices, it has an embossed dial where the raised parts are painted. The numerals were the part I disliked the most about the watch, it just never looked right to me. Serif roman numerals should always be printed, they look unbalanced when realized using applied indices.

On my Patek Philippe Calatrava 5119, the hobnail bezel is already a very visually engaging design element, and applied indices would have overpowered the watch.

Sometimes, less is more when it comes to design.

·
Registered
1,064 Posts
depend_protective_underwear-sm.jpg

If I like the watch, it's probably not going to be a deal breaker.

Reactions: OvrSteer
1 - 20 of 47 Posts