WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 20 of 168 Posts

·
Registered
475 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Have you ever found a watch that you just couldn’t “bond“ with? When I first heard someone mention the concept of “bonding“ with a watch I honestly thought it to be stupid. However, if you are in this hobby long enough you will definitely come across a watch that you can’t seem to “bond“ with. This is not about a watch not wearing well on your wrist, although that is part of it. It is more about a feeling that builds over time that this particular watch is not for you.

We are always hearing about how delighted forum members are with their collections, and that is always great to see. However, it would be interesting to hear your stories about watches that simply did not win you over, and why?

Reactions: joeax61

·
Registered
896 Posts
Have you ever found a watch that you just couldn’t “bond“ with? When I first heard someone mention the concept of “bonding“ with a watch I honestly thought it to be stupid.
I think they meant 'Bond', as in, "I really Bonded with my SMP," or, "I never really Bonded with my Sub on a NATO." I think it's mainly about getting the look and pose right, or not.

·
Registered
1,448 Posts

Never bonded with the 116520 Daytona. No matter how hard I tried, I still prefer wearing the Speedy any opportunity I had.

The white dial, white gold hand, stainless bezel case and bracelet was just too monochromatic for me.

The 116500 and precious metal ones I do like.

·
Registered
5,710 Posts
Not bonding with something sounds suspiciously like not liking something. I haven't bonded with the rib eye I bought so I'll give it to the dog. I had to return those boxer briefs, just didn't bond with them. Thinking about getting a new TV because I never bonded with the old one. I'm going to trade in my new vehicle, I just haven't been able to bond with it.

·
Registered
475 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
They aren't puppies. You either like them or you don't. ;)
Thanks for responding. That is certainly a sterile approach, and I’m certain many will agree with you.

Are there no watches along the way that you have developed a special connection with, and others that you knew were fine pieces but for some reason they just didn’t click with you?

I guess you can boil it down to like and dislike, but isn’t it more that that?

·
Registered
475 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Not bonding with something sounds suspiciously like not liking something. I haven't bonded with the rib eye I bought so I'll give it to the dog. I had to return those boxer briefs, just didn't bond with them. Thinking about getting a new TV because I never bonded with the old one. I'm going to trade in my new vehicle, I just haven't been able to bond with it.
A bit sarcastic, but you made your point. However, you can’t wear a rib eye to your daughter’s wedding. Wouldn’t such an experience make that watch special and bonded to you in some way, or would you flip it to fund another without thinking about it?

·
Registered
141 Posts
A lot... I tend to lean towards micro brands and the only way to get them in hand is to order them. Very often I do not bond with a watch after wearing it a couple times. I often trade/sell to try something new. Its all part of the hobby for me.

·
Registered
825 Posts
I’m feel kind if ungrateful saying this but I never really bonded with my avenger chrono 43 my wife bought me when our daughter was born. It’s a really nice looking watch but just not for me. I know, what a horrible problem to have.

·
Registered
33 Posts
The many ribeyes I have eaten seem to have bonded with my belly, I liked them them when they were in front of me, but I wished they quit "bonding" with me now.

·
Registered
2,778 Posts
By far the biggest culprit was this Zelos Nova. On paper it's perfect, everything I like and nothing I don't. In practice, I found it painfully and unbearably boring. It's the watch I owned the shortest, just 80 days.

·
Registered
55 Posts
I bought an Orient Bambino Gen 4 a couple years ago, and for the first couple weeks I really liked it.

After a while I realized I wore it less and less, until I finally realized I wasn't crazy about it. It might have been because it was hard to read in low or really glaring light-- I was always tilting my wrist to get the right angle to read it.

I just sold it to make room for a Hamilton Khaki Titanium. :)

·
Premium Member
2,402 Posts
A bit sarcastic, but you made your point. However, you can’t wear a rib eye to your daughter’s wedding. Wouldn’t such an experience make that watch special and bonded to you in some way, or would you flip it to fund another without thinking about it?
Nonsense, Lady Gaga bonded with her meat dress and wore it to the MTV Video Music Awards. She must not have bonded with her Tudor as she was not wearing it.

·
Registered
475 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I’m feel kind if ungrateful saying this but I never really bonded with my avenger chrono 43 my wife bought me when our daughter was born. It’s a really nice looking watch but just not for me. I know, what a horrible problem to have.
View attachment 15854659
I know how you feel. I had the same issue with a watch my wife gave me a few years ago. It was a Rolex, so what’s not to like right? However, it was a Rolesor and I am not into bling. After discussing it with my wife we came to the agreement that if I flipped that watch and used the money for something that suits me more the thought behind the original present would survive. I did, and it has.

·
Registered
475 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
1 - 20 of 168 Posts