WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

121 - 140 of 168 Posts

·
Premium Member
12,812 Posts
They really are filled with character, aren't they. The most interesting aspect of mine - which I never solved - was that it would turn the headlights off when I was making a right hand turn with the windshield wipers going.

Right hand turns without the wipers were fine. Of course. I sacrificed many chickens and engaged in many druidic rituals trying to solve that problem. Nothing worked.
I moved to Sweden when I was 22 and left my MG parked at my mother’s house. She wasn’t too pleased and sold my car without having the pink slip (the owners card). The buyer told her not to worry, he’d find a way to register the car. At first I thought my car might be used in robberies and the police would blame me. But, I thought again, even crooks aren’t that stupid ;)

·
Registered
186 Posts
Amusing thread.... personally I think "bonding" is the wrong word because "to bond" has to be reciprocal. I absolutely admit to feeling an emotional attachment to my watches, but I wouldn't consider it bonding since unfortunately they give no sign of returning my feelings....

And in the intended spirit of the OP's question, I bought two relatively affordable watches last year, a Laco Melbourne and a Vario Empire. I definitely don't like the Laco as much as I thought I would - even though I spent a while comparing and searching for what I thought exactly fitted my requirements. While the Vario, which I bought on a whim because I saw a sale posted, I like much more - wearing it today, in fact.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Interesting thread. Does the price/ value of the watch affect the emotional attachment or bond? Do you tend to build this bond more desperately if the price is high? At the moment, I'm thrilled about my newest watch which is a cheap Chinese homage while I have much more expensive watches in my collection (and feel a bit of a guilt for channeling all my watch attention to that cheap beater)...

·
Registered
555 Posts
I agree "bond" isn't precisely the right word because it implies reciprocity, but I am bemused at the responses that choice of word is triggering. All of us here know precisely what the OP is getting at and if you think he is suggesting that a watch can have emotions, then either there is something seriously wrong with you, or you are just being deliberately obtuse.

For those who are quite vehemently taking issue with having emotions about watches, there's a certain irony in getting emotional about how others are allegedly being too emotional.

Anyway, back on the topic, the two Seiko Presage watches I own (enamel power reserve and tuxedo) qualify. On paper I ought to love them, but somehow I don't. I still keep them because they are very pretty watches and I admire them for it, but they just don't get a lot of wrist time.

·
Registered
3,815 Posts
No matter how hard I try, I don’t like certain hand-me-down or gift watch, with look/design that I didnt choose and I’m not into.

·
Registered
197 Posts
I had to comment on this soon as I read the title I knew the OP would get a shoeing! - I mentioned i didnt bond with a Seiko Alpinist on here last year, on paper it looked amazing, it was a limited edition (arent they all?) regardless I liked the dial.

The dial which I thought I would love I just didnt end up liking it and sold it that experience told me never use the B word on this forum and perhaps not bother posting, I just got flack as i was selling a ltd edition watcha and making money on it and I had no intention of keeping it etc - amazing complete strangers can know exactly my feelings and intentions without really knowing anything about me plus its just a watch, yes just a watch there i said it!.

Maybe its a language/country thing as well were a global bunch - so that was one I never stuck with, I have a Sinn 556IRS which is a super nice watch, I dint wear as much as I thought I would, but when I do i really enjoy it that ones still growing on me.

·
Registered
Zelos Mako V3 bronze frost || Casio PRW-7000X || Casio Gulfman GW-9100 || Victorinox INOX Mechanical
365 Posts
I think the right thing to compare "Bond" is to "it didn't kept with my expectations"
Like my Prw-7000X

·
Registered
3,000 Posts
I am bemused at the responses that choice of word is triggering.
I have no idea how old you are, but I find the word 'triggering' quite interesting. To respond to something, even negatively, isn't being 'triggered' - it's pejorative, really, and judgmental. Admittedly, these are overwhelmingly Gen 'Z' / Millennial traits so that might explain it. You can disagree without being 'triggered'.

·
Registered
1,448 Posts
For me it was the screw-down pushers. Made it a tool watch behind a lock and key, so I could never use it. Much more happy with the several chronographs I own now without screw-down pushers (Speedy, El Primero, Portugieser, etc...)
For me it was the screw-down pushers. Made it a tool watch behind a lock and key, so I could never use it. Much more happy with the several chronographs I own now without screw-down pushers (Speedy, El Primero, Portugieser, etc...)
I also prefer non screwdown pushers, but the execution on the Daytona was very good so I never had any issues with unscrewing when needed.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Every watch I've bought that cost over $400-500. I've discovered that I just can't enjoy wearing an expensive watch; I'm too nervous to forget about it and feel a bit silly as a result. Perhaps with more disposable income although I suspect even then I'd prefer more affordable options. On the flip side I get real pleasure from finding budget watches that meet and exceed all of my expectations - that's become my watch hobby hunting thrill.
My philosophy exactly.

·
Registered
186 Posts
I have no idea how old you are, but I find the word 'triggering' quite interesting. To respond to something, even negatively, isn't being 'triggered' - it's pejorative, really, and judgmental. Admittedly, these are overwhelmingly Gen 'Z' / Millennial traits so that might explain it. You can disagree without being 'triggered'.
I on the other hand find it interesting that your response is almost a textbook internet example of someone being triggered - even using your own definition of being pejorative and judgemental :)

Personally I hate the word, I only really noticed it coming up in conversations in the last year or so, and only on the internet, it's not something I've ever heard used in real life, even in the more serious sense of PTSD etc. But it seems for a lot of online discussions such as this one, that usage perfectly describes where we all end up, regardless of how old we all are.

·
Registered
268 Posts
Amusing thread.... personally I think "bonding" is the wrong word because "to bond" has to be reciprocal. I absolutely admit to feeling an emotional attachment to my watches, but I wouldn't consider it bonding since unfortunately they give no sign of returning my feelings....

And in the intended spirit of the OP's question, I bought two relatively affordable watches last year, a Laco Melbourne and a Vario Empire. I definitely don't like the Laco as much as I thought I would - even though I spent a while comparing and searching for what I thought exactly fitted my requirements. While the Vario, which I bought on a whim because I saw a sale posted, I like much more - wearing it today, in fact.
I don't know. To bond with something is to "be attached to it" which is perfectly appropriate language for a watch. Doesnt have to be reciprocal. If you "bond" sticky tape to paper. the paper isnt having to do anything in that partnership.

·
Registered
1,749 Posts
Interesting thread. Does the price/ value of the watch affect the emotional attachment or bond? Do you tend to build this bond more desperately if the price is high? At the moment, I'm thrilled about my newest watch which is a cheap Chinese homage while I have much more expensive watches in my collection (and feel a bit of a guilt for channeling all my watch attention to that cheap beater)...
That's because you're in the 'honeymoon' phase with that new watch; we've all been there. That would make for an interesting thread, which I'm sure I've seen on here; "how long is the honeymoon" or something like that.

You may find yourself wearing it for a while, then suddenly realize you should wear the others more.

·
Registered
3,604 Posts
I wanted a fun summer watch and yellow looked great to me on pictures. Tried them on, felt good. However, after a few months, I couldn't get myself to wear them no matter how hard I tried. On my wrist under a natural light I found the yellow too jarring. I had to let them go.

·
Registered
170 Posts
I'm having a hard time bonding with a few of these. The ones I dislike are highlighted in red. From left to right:

*Sturmanskie, an old one. I like this on occasion, for occasions. I use this as my dress watch because I'm too lazy and cheap to buy a super expensive dress watch I'll only be wearing once a year. If this one got stolen, I'd be OK with that but since it was really cheap when I got it and it runs well enough for that one day a year under a tuxedo, I'm keeping it.
*Seiko something. My first 'real' watch. I wore this for years till I moved on. I haven't worn this watch in over a decade. Just keeping it for nostalgic reasons.
*Seiko kinetic; I got this because I wanted a larger watch than what I owned before but the hour and minute hands are so tiny, I just couldn't ever properly read the time on this one. Regret/non bonding #1.
*Laco Saarbrucken: I love this watch to pieces except that for some reason, the push pins get dislodged from the lugs so the strap releases itself. Result: boink. Watch on the floor. Needs some repair now. Still runs, still winds, but is simply in need of a service. The first mechanical watch I actually kept and it started my love for mechanicals and Fliegers in general.
*Citizen Eco-Drive. This was my daily driver for a decade and only now I'm finding something that works for me as well as this one. However, at just 126 grams this is a featherweight. That combined with the ecodrive and the accuracy makes me love this watch a lot.
*Sinn EZM10 Testaf: my first 'high end' watch and I love this watch. I really enjoy looking at this and it has served me extremely well and I am hoping to be able to wear this one for years to come.
*Oris ProDiver Chronograph. a 51mm behemoth. Yeah, I like my watches on the bigger side. Anything under 44mm is just not for me ;) I am still getting used to this one. I have clicked less with this watch than with the Sinn even though I was ogling this one for at least 18 months prior to getting the Sinn.
*Sisu Bravado A1-55 Gosh I love this watch but this watch hates me. This is 500 grams of steel and if I wear this too long, I'm in pain because... I'm allergic to steel. Nevertheless, I wear this on occasion. I love the size but the lugs are so oddly shaped that it's really not possible to find a leather strap that looks decent on this watch. The lug width is a ghastly 32mm. W.T.F. It's really huge. I kinda regret the size but I also love the size. I got it for pennies to the dollar, though, in new. There was a sale featuring this one at 50% off and I also had a discount code of minus 50% and that made this watch cost somewhere around 600 euro's at the time I believe.

Also, I REALLY disliked these ones so I flipped them.

Seiko SPB001. This one ran way too fast and I didn't know about servicing otherwise I might have had it done. Also... no lume. No lume means that I just can't wear this one. And, steel. My steel allergy started back then (2010). And no, it's not a Perpetual calendar.

Breitling Superocean. I hated this one. I wanted a Breitling and I found this one on the cheap and I really hated this one after I got it. The lume was mediocre, the accuracy was OK, but the bezel and rubber strap? Hard pass. Also: steel.

Omega Seamaster. I just was never fond of this one in hindsight. The James Bond connotation helped a bit but I hated the helium escape valve. It completely destroyed my love for this one and every Seamaster ever since. Also... Steel.

·
Registered
3,000 Posts
I on the other hand find it interesting that your response is almost a textbook internet example of someone being triggered - even using your own definition of being pejorative and judgemental :)
Trust me, you'd know if I'd been triggered. I'm mellow.

·
Registered
841 Posts
Omega SpeedMaster Moon watch. Nice watch just never bonded with it. The thing that made me buy it was the history behind it.
It was the only watch I ever did a lot of research on before buying it. Most watches I buy I saw in the display case and something caught my attention.
I bought it pre owned from a well known watch reseller. When I sold it I made most of my money back on it.
I used the money to help fund a Tudor Black Bay GMT.

121 - 140 of 168 Posts