WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

141 - 160 of 168 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
This happened to me with my oris calobra day date. I really like in theory -- the dark greens are beautiful and the bi-direc bezel is fun. It doesn't wear big on my small wrist despite being on the bigger side and I get compliments on it. But i just never made an emotional connection to it, just seems to stay in the box more than the rest.

·
Premium Member
70,251 Posts
Very few actually. My watch buying may seem to be be impetuous but each purchase is actually a coincided transaction hence I don’t suffer many “fails”.

·
Registered
81 Posts
I bought a couple of watches early on when I was just learning and I bought one that was my wife's taste. I didn't end up "bonding" with those. Once I learned to buy watches that were my taste, it was all good. No matter the price of the watch, if you don't love it, it was not a good purchase. The sooner you can learn what you love, the wiser your purchases will be. And it also depends on what you expect.... Unless you want to be a dealer, if you expect to make a profit, you have probably come to the wrong place.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Recently bought a chronometer powered by the ubiquitous ST1901 movement, because I already owned watches with the ST21 and ST18 movements and I wanted to complete the trifecta of 'premium' Seagull movements. I knew what I didn't want (one the plethora of 1963-inspired pandas), so, without giving enough thought to what I actually wanted, I bought something else.

Turns out that something not being what you don't want isn't good enough. At my age I should have known that.

I don't dislike it and I'll keep it. But it will stay in the box in a drawer until the day I die. Oh well, I'm not a chronometer guy, anyway.

·
Registered
1,108 Posts
I totally understand this. I lusted after a baby blue Zodiac Super Sea Wolf 53 for a long time. When I finally got it, I loved it - until I put it on the wrist. I think it is a beautiful watch, really good quality for its bracket, has heritage and I wanted a splash of colour in my collection (still do - but I'll go orange detailing I think), but I just didn't like it when I was wearing it. It took me more than a year to finally admit that it had to go, and quite a long time to work out what the issue was. I think it came down to the lugs being too long for my taste, and possibly the shape of the hands, the blunt end. It is often the smallest details which either bother me or bond me...

·
Premium Member
3,249 Posts
I totally understand this. I lusted after a baby blue Zodiac Super Sea Wolf 53 for a long time. When I finally got it, I loved it - until I put it on the wrist. I think it is a beautiful watch, really good quality for its bracket, has heritage and I wanted a splash of colour in my collection (still do - but I'll go orange detailing I think), but I just didn't like it when I was wearing it. It took me more than a year to finally admit that it had to go, and quite a long time to work out what the issue was. I think it came down to the lugs being too long for my taste, and possibly the shape of the hands, the blunt end. It is often the smallest details which either bother me or bond me...
View attachment 15856467
I had somewhat the same experience with my Zodiac Super Sea Wolf 'Sherbet' I wanted it, hunted it, traded for it, and while I really enjoyed it, it got to where whenever I reached for a white watch, I grabbed the Snowflake. Ironically, cause apparently I don't learn my watch lesson, I am looking at another white Zodiac...

Reactions: Calumets

·
Registered
555 Posts
I have no idea how old you are, but I find the word 'triggering' quite interesting. To respond to something, even negatively, isn't being 'triggered' - it's pejorative, really, and judgmental. Admittedly, these are overwhelmingly Gen 'Z' / Millennial traits so that might explain it. You can disagree without being 'triggered'.
You're quite right that "trigger" is somewhat pejorative, but only mildly so. To be triggered is not merely to react negatively, but to react in an extreme and perhaps disproportionate manner. Hence the negative connotations.

·
Registered
187 Posts
Wow. That is an amazing story. I wonder if your friend would change his mind over time? I can definitely see why the initial shock of seeing the watch would evoke such a reaction, but with time he might come to realize that the watch is a connection to his son. Hard to say, but I would find it hard to sell.
My friend is extremely well grounded, and was very definitive in his decision. I can only honor his wishes, and hope that the watch will end up with an owner who respects its very unique and tragic history. Thank you for your sensitive comment.

·
Registered
896 Posts
I have no idea how old you are, but I find the word 'triggering' quite interesting. To respond to something, even negatively, isn't being 'triggered' - it's pejorative, really, and judgmental. Admittedly, these are overwhelmingly Gen 'Z' / Millennial traits so that might explain it. You can disagree without being 'triggered'.
Then again, saying that something is "triggering" something else is not the same as saying that someone is "being triggered". The former merely asserts a casual cause and effect relationship, while the latter asserts a particularly strong emotional response.

·
Registered
48 Posts
That's because you're in the 'honeymoon' phase with that new watch; we've all been there. That would make for an interesting thread, which I'm sure I've seen on here; "how long is the honeymoon" or something like that.

You may find yourself wearing it for a while, then suddenly realize you should wear the others more.
I'd love that thread. I look forward to such responses as: "But a WATCH isn't a WIFE, I can't take it to the god damn Caribbean omg.. there is no honeymoon it's just an inanimate object." :rolleyes:

·
Registered
2,329 Posts
🤦‍♂️

Some of these posts are ridiculous. Either you all are purposely taking what the OP is saying too literal or you're lying to yourselves. I'll let you decide! I'm certain most of you do NOT own every watch you have purchased. and I'm certain most of you moved on from a watch because you fell out of love with it or have decided to move on.

To answer the OP. I've made a few purchases which I loved online and once I received it didn't quite fit the bill and vice versa. So I may not have bonded w/ the watch but I thought I would.

I'm not sure why everyone is acting as if you "bond" with a watch it means you want take it for a roll in the hay.
I used to know a woman who couldn't get enough Parnises...

·
Registered
1,040 Posts
I know how you feel. I had the same issue with a watch my wife gave me a few years ago. It was a Rolex, so what’s not to like right? However, it was a Rolesor and I am not into bling. After discussing it with my wife we came to the agreement that if I flipped that watch and used the money for something that suits me more the thought behind the original present would survive. I did, and it has.
I had a similar experience last year.
To make sure it never happens again, I created a gift idea list with the exact watch I want. 🙃

·
Premium Member
3,249 Posts
I had a similar experience last year.
To make sure it never happens again, I created a gift idea list with the exact watch I want. 🙃
I occasionally give a lengthy list of $500 and below watches that I like to my wife. I've said to her a bunch of times, 'I don't expect you to get me a watch, but if you decide to for an occasion, here are some examples of the ones I like.' Or something to that effect.

Reactions: CaliMex

·
Premium Member
62 Posts
My daughter could give me the ugliest, dumbest watch in the world and I'd never sell it (maybe wear it a bit just for her) because she gave it to me to make me happy. It has nothing to do with 'bonding' and all the world to do with sentimentality.

When someone says they can't bond with a watch it comes off as some kind of school girl romanticism. What is so wrong with saying 'I don't like it' as opposed to saying 'I didn't bond with it'? Is it like saying 'gifted' instead of 'given'? Is there some greater level of importance in using the verbs to bond or to gift? Or is it a bit of melodrama playing to an audience. I am actually curious to the reasoning.
Here’s my take on it: Some ‘things’ just remain ‘things.’ They can be beautiful, well-crafted, function well. And I might appreciate them for these qualities, like/admire them aesthetically, etc. In fact, very much the kind of relationship to things that you’ve described having. But other ‘things’ become an element in my life that have some kind of emotional component. Sometimes they capture a certain time period (a Seiko I bought while living in Japan, a Stuhrling skeleton I wore while working at a company I’d admired for years, etc.), and sometimes they just suit me on a deep level, like the bronze Borealis Oceanaut I’ve got on my wrist right now and that I’ve been posting about all week. I might not use the term ‘bonded,’ but I think the spirit is the same. If I didn’t have these kinds of experiences, I would own only what I need. That goes for watches, old cars, the ridiculous number of Converse sneakers I have, and on and on. Hope that sheds some light.

·
Registered
2,534 Posts
Rolex. I've owned a few but eventually sold all of them. I think it's the size more than anything. I like tool or sports watches to be in the 42 - 44mm range.

I did have a 42mm exp2 but I traded that for a gmt2c - which I again sold.

In retrospect, I should've kept the exp2 42.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Tudor BB 36. Thought it would be perfect, given my wrist size. Build quality was excellent. Incredibly solid. Liked the design. Just didn’t like the way it looked/felt on my wrist, for some reason. Still not sure why.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
475 Posts
Discussion Starter · #160 ·
🤦‍♂️

Some of these posts are ridiculous. Either you all are purposely taking what the OP is saying too literal or you're lying to yourselves. I'll let you decide! I'm certain most of you do NOT own every watch you have purchased. and I'm certain most of you moved on from a watch because you fell out of love with it or have decided to move on.

To answer the OP. I've made a few purchases which I loved online and once I received it didn't quite fit the bill and vice versa. So I may not have bonded w/ the watch but I thought I would.

I'm not sure why everyone is acting as if you "bond" with a watch it means you want take it for a roll in the hay.
Well said.

141 - 160 of 168 Posts