WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

161 - 168 of 168 Posts

·
Registered
475 Posts
Discussion Starter · #161 ·
I agree "bond" isn't precisely the right word because it implies reciprocity, but I am bemused at the responses that choice of word is triggering. All of us here know precisely what the OP is getting at and if you think he is suggesting that a watch can have emotions, then either there is something seriously wrong with you, or you are just being deliberately obtuse.

For those who are quite vehemently taking issue with having emotions about watches, there's a certain irony in getting emotional about how others are allegedly being too emotional.

Anyway, back on the topic, the two Seiko Presage watches I own (enamel power reserve and tuxedo) qualify. On paper I ought to love them, but somehow I don't. I still keep them because they are very pretty watches and I admire them for it, but they just don't get a lot of wrist time.
OP here. It is refreshing to be understood.

By the way, many of the responses you pointed out as deliberately obtuse are exactly that. This is the Internet after all, and trolls will be trolls. I find it best to thank them for their contribution and ignore them.

·
Premium Member
3,245 Posts
OP here. It is refreshing to be understood.

By the way, many of the responses you pointed out as deliberately obtuse are exactly that. This is the Internet after all, and trolls will be trolls. I find it best to thank them for their contribution and ignore them.
Some feel the need to carp on people's threads.

·
Premium Member
1,253 Posts
Living in a more rural than urban area, there are no stores around that have anything nicer than Citizen so every purchase I’ve made over the last 4 years is online. I’ve unfortunately bought many that didn’t suit me even tho they are desirable to others.
Here’s a small selection of “it never felt right”

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
“what’s life without whimsy”

·
Registered
359 Posts
The Eberhard Contograf reissue. I wanted to like it but it just never worked for me. Sold it.

·
Premium Member
12 Posts
Have you ever found a watch that you just couldn’t “bond“ with?
For me, it was a perfectly nice Omega Seamaster 300 - Ref 2254.50 circa 2006. Black wave dial, sword hands, great lume, legible, robust ETA caliber, slim at 11mm thickness, a great, classic sports watch, right? Even on my 7-1/4” wrist, 41mm wears large & heavy, was never got comfortable with it. Never just looked at it and went, “aahhhhh”. I’m also done with sizing bracelets. Give me quality leather, calfskin, sailcloth or rubber w/ deployment clasp anytime.

3A6E490D-DDC5-4A8F-8F9A-A0FEF5B18EAB.jpeg

·
Registered
430 Posts
View attachment 15854570

Never bonded with the 116520 Daytona. No matter how hard I tried, I still prefer wearing the Speedy any opportunity I had.

View attachment 15854574

The white dial, white gold hand, stainless bezel case and bracelet was just too monochromatic for me.

The 116500 and precious metal ones I do like.
Wow I never realized that the Speedy is that much bigger!

·
Registered
159 Posts
Have you ever found a watch that you just couldn’t “bond“ with? When I first heard someone mention the concept of “bonding“ with a watch I honestly thought it to be stupid. However, if you are in this hobby long enough you will definitely come across a watch that you can’t seem to “bond“ with. This is not about a watch not wearing well on your wrist, although that is part of it. It is more about a feeling that builds over time that this particular watch is not for you.

We are always hearing about how delighted forum members are with their collections, and that is always great to see. However, it would be interesting to hear your stories about watches that simply did not win you over, and why?
Really wanted the BALL Trainmaster Power Glow when I first saw it. Purchased it, and it never meshed with me. It became part of the cash/watch deal I made for the UN Marine Perpetual!

161 - 168 of 168 Posts