WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 20 of 118 Posts

·
Registered
313 Posts
Indeed a wonderful video. I think it's the first really high quality video I've seen of the brand, which is about time! Hopefully more will start to appreciate just what a great brand they are.

·
Registered
1,004 Posts
Thanks, came here to post this. I am happy they posted this, but also a little worried our little secret is out and there could be demand that ruins the fun.

I may be wrong, but it seems they are 'just' keeping up with demand. Not a lot of used out there (no surprise) and the one US dealer seems to be living hand to mount with stock coming and going quickly. I have no problem waiting months for a piece, but if waiting becomes years or never, then I'd be disappointed.

I'm thrilled with my 99.1 - despite it's humble origins (the base movement), I still can't quite believe what I have and what it cost. I'd need to buy something like a Moritz Grossmann Vintage Power Reserve ($38,000) to make me feel like I had something much more significant. 10x the cost.

Oh, and other than one shot, he didn't cover the box. That box is as big of a deal as the watch!

·
Registered
1,004 Posts
Indeed a wonderful video. I think it's the first really high quality video I've seen of the brand, which is about time! Hopefully more will start to appreciate just what a great brand they are.
Agree, when I was looking to buy this watch, there isn't much (anything?) out there of quality taking about the watches.

·
Registered
741 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks, came here to post this. I am happy they posted this, but also a little worried our little secret is out and there could be demand that ruins the fun.

I may be wrong, but it seems they are 'just' keeping up with demand. Not a lot of used out there (no surprise) and the one US dealer seems to be living hand to mount with stock coming and going quickly. I have no problem waiting months for a piece, but if waiting becomes years or never, then I'd be disappointed.

I'm thrilled with my 99.1 - despite it's humble origins (the base movement), I still can't quite believe what I have and what it cost. I'd need to buy something like a Moritz Grossmann Vintage Power Reserve ($38,000) to make me feel like I had something much more significant. 10x the cost.

Oh, and other than one shot, he didn't cover the box. That box is as big of a deal as the watch!
I'm hoping the vast majority of watch enthusiasts continue to keep their focus on Rolex et al. as one of their watches (99.3 ST) is on my short list for "final piece to add to the collection", alongside the updated JLC Master Control Calendar.

·
Registered
364 Posts
I actually kind of hate that watch finders did this video...I love my Dornbluth but want 1 more, just been saving for it. Prices better not go up! My 99.1 is my 2nd favorite watch in my collection...and since fall is coming, I can wear it more with leather strap, now the weather cooling.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Banned
817 Posts
great video.

knew about dornbluth for 7 years, so for me it was a surprise that it took watchfinder so long to make a video.

anyways, "caliber 99 center second" is 42mm in diameter. that is just huge for a dress watch. it is true, they also have a smaller size, 38.5mm. anybody know what the lug to lug is on that specimen?

·
Registered
2,998 Posts
great video.

knew about dornbluth for 7 years, so for me it was a surprise that it took watchfinder so long to make a video.

anyways, "caliber 99 center second" is 42mm in diameter. that is just huge for a dress watch. it is true, they also have a smaller size, 38.5mm. anybody know what the lug to lug is on that specimen?
Around 47mm.

·
Registered
424 Posts
great video.

They have a 40mm size but the second sub dial placement is different than than the 42mm/38.mm size.

·
Premium Member
22,580 Posts
That engraved dial is really cool.

Reactions: Ayreonaut

·
Registered
108 Posts
Nearly 160,000 views and nearly 600 comments on that fantastic video so far! And yet I am hearing that the feared doubling/tripling of the wait time for a watch from DD&S has not happened yet. So that bodes well for those looking to join the club...or add another. I suspect COVID has caused some people to be more cautious with spending on non-essentials at the moment.

·
Registered
108 Posts
Anyone know why the black dials on WatchBuys are cheaper than the white dialed versions?
For many of the models they sell, the black dial has printed on numerals, while the white dial version has applied numerals, which is a bit more expensive. Not the case with the Regulator, as both black and white versions feature engraved dials...so pricing is equal on those.

Reactions: drhr and yellowfury

·
Registered
1,293 Posts
Incredible.. I just looked at the prices on their site. Some of their models cost less than what I paid for a standard Speedmaster Pro, yet give off a very distinct high-horology vibe. This is a brand to keep an eye on! o_O

·
Registered
419 Posts
Incredible.. I just looked at the prices on their site. Some of their models cost less than what I paid for a standard Speedmaster Pro, yet give off a very distinct high-horology vibe. This is a brand to keep an eye on! o_O
yeah part of buying a bigger brand is paying for their marketing💀

there seems to be a distinct segment of small independent brands priced at 3-8k that produce higher end watches to match those of bigger brands at 10-20k.

·
Read Only
7,342 Posts
yeah part of buying a bigger brand is paying for their marketing💀

there seems to be a distinct segment of small independent brands priced at 3-8k that produce higher end watches to match those of bigger brands at 10-20k.
Yes, Dornblüth, Hentschel, Kudoke, Laine and Habring (less so with finishing, but very high technical component) to name a few.

·
Registered
1,004 Posts
Nearly 160,000 views and nearly 600 comments on that fantastic video so far! And yet I am hearing that the feared doubling/tripling of the wait time for a watch from DD&S has not happened yet. So that bodes well for those looking to join the club...or add another. I suspect COVID has caused some people to be more cautious with spending on non-essentials at the moment.
Everything seems to suggest the watch industry is doing well...that people are still buying plenty of stuff. The generally high price of used stuff (not the Rolex/Patek madness, but even random Omega stuff) also suggests people are finding buyers and nothing is being liquidated.

For what its worth, most of the Dornblueth models on the Watchbuys website are sold out, and have been for months (I check a few times a week). When I bought mine (well over a year ago), all of them were in stock or got back in stock quickly (like they sold one, and a replacement was air shipped to them immediately). No idea if they are living hand to mouth (like they are 1-2 units behind), or they are deep in backorders. One issue is even just a few dozen customers could make for a months-long backorder. On top of this, small company dealing with past and maybe current Covid restrictions in their tiny factory (no idea if they are able to operate at full capacity).

Also, there is basically nothing for sale used (this seemed to be the case before all this, people keep these, and there just is not enough out there for a robust used market), what I do see tends to be what I personally think are less-attractive options, or expensive (gold models, more complex ones closer to $10,000).

·
Registered
1,004 Posts
For many of the models they sell, the black dial has printed on numerals, while the white dial version has applied numerals, which is a bit more expensive. Not the case with the Regulator, as both black and white versions feature engraved dials...so pricing is equal on those.
Yes, the model Watchbuys carries is printed vs. applied on the black, and also the black does not have the blued hands (which I guess are more expensive?). The dial might also be more difficult to make. No idea which one of these (numerals, hands, and/or dial) drives the price difference.

However, talking a $200 difference in a $4,500 watch, so not big.

I noticed the KILLER engraved dial is not an option on their site. Is that super-special order, or do they not do it anymore? I think the video said that was a $1,000 option!

1 - 20 of 118 Posts