WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

41 - 60 of 118 Posts

Registered
Thank you, Tangomat and En-Nissen! These price lists are hugely helpful!

There are a couple of things I can't find on the list, though--is it possible to get a medium case (40mm), and how do you get the price for the particular dials?

I'm probably not reading the list right....

Thanks again!

C
The 99.1-M is the medium 40 mm size. The 99.2-M and 99.6-M weren't out when I got the price list, so that's why they're not there. For a feel of how much extra the medium case is I'd just see the price difference between 99.1 and 99.1-M.

If you ask them, I'm sure they can do most models in 40mm size.

Registered
Anyone know why the midsize is more expensive? Seems like it鈥檚 less material so it should be cheaper... unless it costs more to make because it鈥檚 not their 鈥渢ypical鈥 sizing.

Registered
Anyone know why the midsize is more expensive? Seems like it鈥檚 less material so it should be cheaper... unless it costs more to make because it鈥檚 not their 鈥渢ypical鈥 sizing.
The movement is 36.6mm in diameter, so I recon it's a decent amount harder to fashion a 40mm case it can fit into than a 42mm one.

You rarely see those movements in small cases at least.

Registered
That is somewhat peculiar ... I originally planned on the 99.AuA but couldn't get past the reported 52mm lug-to-lug. So, decided on the 99.2-M (40mm case) but didn't notice the 210 Euro price difference compared to the 99.2. However, I presume En_Nissen is probably spot-on. I haven't seen many Unitas-based watches in 40mm cases.

Registered
That is somewhat peculiar ... I originally planned on the 99.AuA but couldn't get past the reported 52mm lug-to-lug. So, decided on the 99.2-M (40mm case) but didn't notice the 210 Euro price difference compared to the 99.2. However, I presume En_Nissen is probably spot-on. I haven't seen many Unitas-based watches in 40mm cases.
oh that鈥檚 2 of us! What dial did you go for out of interest? I was really torn on mine, and could have easily gone for about 4 different options.
Ended up with white, with black engraved numerals.

Registered
Originally, I was leaning toward the engraved silver dial with black numerals but after seeing the 99.2 polished ceramic dial posted by En_Nissen, it was an easy choice ... 99.2-M, polished ceramic dial, engraved numerals with black fill. Not going to lie though, the price increase for the polished ceramic dial made me pause and almost reconsider.

Registered
Very happy for you guys--sleepysmith and ParkinNJ--about your new watches (to come). I have a 50th Bday coming in about a year and a half, and have started scouting around for something nice and unusual. Dornblueth has really caught my eye.

I also just found my way to En-Nissen's thread on his search for a new watch--lots of great ideas and pix there. En-Nissen, I think you picked an excellent watch! When are you scheduled to receive it?

I think that if I were to go the Dornblueth route, I'd be thinking of a medium (40mm) 99.2 (small seconds at 9 and power reserve at 3). Not sure which dial, though: I love the engraved silver; but also the--I'm not sure what it's called--it's a black or blue sort of mottled and textured finish?

I need to write to them about this.

Finally, does anyone have a sense of the lug-to-lug for the 40 mm case?

Thanks again!

C

Registered
We鈥檝e got 2 the same there, I also went for polished ceramic. Hearing @En_Nissen describe the finish as 鈥榓lmost鈥 as good as the credor enamel made the extra cash an easier pill to swallow

at least the option to engrave the movement will mean we鈥檙e not identical
I'm fairly certain the Credor isn't enamel, but actually porcelain, as far as I recall. Porcelain is a form of ceramic, from my understanding.

Unfortunately I only had a brief time with the Credor, and it was in shop lighting, so I'm not sure I can be the judge of saying one is "almost" the same quality as the other, hehe. But they did have a lot of things in common, save for the more creamy color of the Credor, against the more pure white of the Dornbl眉th. And of course the handpaint vs. The engraving, which are quite different.

By the way, I'm glad my pictures and "mini review" helped in your decision.

Registered
Very happy for you guys--sleepysmith and ParkinNJ--about your new watches (to come). I have a 50th Bday coming in about a year and a half, and have started scouting around for something nice and unusual. Dornblueth has really caught my eye.

I also just found my way to En-Nissen's thread on his search for a new watch--lots of great ideas and pix there. En-Nissen, I think you picked an excellent watch! When are you scheduled to receive it?

I think that if I were to go the Dornblueth route, I'd be thinking of a medium (40mm) 99.2 (small seconds at 9 and power reserve at 3). Not sure which dial, though: I love the engraved silver; but also the--I'm not sure what it's called--it's a black or blue sort of mottled and textured finish?

I need to write to them about this.

Finally, does anyone have a sense of the lug-to-lug for the 40 mm case?

Thanks again!

C
Thanks for the compliment, and glad the thread helped you too.
As for the delivery of the watch, I was given an estimate of 6-8 months, so I'm expecting the watch around April to June 2021. I've heard stories of people getting their watches before the estimates, but I don't dare to get my hopes up.

As for the "textured" dials, those are the ceramic dials "standard" finish. And it comes in pretty much all the colors you can imagine, albeit at a slight premium cost if going for other colors than black or white.

The lug to lug of the 40mm case is 50mm.

Registered
cnj8w - I was in a similar situation looking for a special watch for my 50th. I considered a JLC Reverso, VC Overseas, and the Dornblueth. Ultimately deciding on the 99.2-M since the folks at Dornblueth are amenable to some dial customizations and engraving the movement to make it yours.

Registered
cnj8w - I was in a similar situation looking for a special watch for my 50th. I considered a JLC Reverso, VC Overseas, and the Dornblueth. Ultimately deciding on the 99.2-M since the folks at Dornblueth are amenable to some dial customizations and engraving the movement to make it yours.
Thanks for this note, Parkin! and happy birthday when it comes! Maybe you have already mentioned this, but did you end up doing some customizations? I'd love to know what you chose to do, if anything.

CJ

Registered
Thanks for the compliment, and glad the thread helped you too.
As for the delivery of the watch, I was given an estimate of 6-8 months, so I'm expecting the watch around April to June 2021. I've heard stories of people getting their watches before the estimates, but I don't dare to get my hopes up.

As for the "textured" dials, those are the ceramic dials "standard" finish. And it comes in pretty much all the colors you can imagine, albeit at a slight premium cost if going for other colors than black or white.

The lug to lug of the 40mm case is 50mm.
This is so helpful, En-Nissen. 50mm l2l is pushing it for me, but it looks like the lugs curve downward. And I take it that the watch can have a sort of chunky feel (though I could be wrong about that?).

You mention your little "mini review": I can't tell if I've already seen it: can you point me towards it?

Thanks again!

CJ

Registered
This is so helpful, En-Nissen. 50mm l2l is pushing it for me, but it looks like the lugs curve downward. And I take it that the watch can have a sort of chunky feel (though I could be wrong about that?).

You mention your little "mini review": I can't tell if I've already seen it: can you point me towards it?

Thanks again!

CJ
I don't have experience with the case yet, so can't say. But it does look like the lugs are downwards angled, so while I'm pushing at a bit with 50mm L2L too, I think it'll be okay.

I shared some pictures and made some comments about their ceramic dials on this thread It鈥檚 done, Dornbl眉th 99.2 in the pipeline

Registered
cnj8w - The options and combinations with case material (steel vs gold), dial material (brass vs ceramic), dial colors, hand colors, engravings vs printed vs applied numerals can almost overload your decision making process. For the 99.2-M, I thought about a panda dial with a white polished ceramic main dial and black polished sub-dials but ultimately went with the 'traditional' Marine-style layout with white ceramic polished (main dial and sub-dials), engraved numerals and minute track, and my initials engraved on the movement. Just a word of caution, the litany of options can make the watch truly yours and a unique one-off piece but the prices can increase drastically.

Reactions: cnj8w and En_Nissen

Registered
cnj8w - The options and combinations with case material (steel vs gold), dial material (brass vs ceramic), dial colors, hand colors, engravings vs printed vs applied numerals can almost overload your decision making process. For the 99.2-M, I thought about a panda dial with a white polished ceramic main dial and black polished sub-dials but ultimately went with the 'traditional' Marine-style layout with white ceramic polished (main dial and sub-dials), engraved numerals and minute track, and my initials engraved on the movement. Just a word of caution, the litany of options can make the watch truly yours and a unique one-off piece but the prices can increase drastically.
I realize I'm responding to this VERY late and after the fact, but thank you for these reflections. By now, and after exchanging several emails with Tim over at DDS, I have a better sense of what's possible and what I'd like.

I think the 99.2M that you describe (white polished ceramic with engraved markers) sounds lovely. And I think that the power reserve will be such a pleasure to engage with when you wind the watch.

I've probably asked you this before and you have probably answered (sorry for any repeats: I'm finding it hard to keep track of the several threads on DDS watches right now)--but would you mind sharing your wrist circumference?

As I have said in a different thread, I am wrestling between the 38.5mm case (much more expensive watches) and the 40mm medium case. My wrist circumference is 16.5cm / 6.5 inches. I'm trying to get a sense of whether the 40mm case would be too long.

Any insights you have will be most welcome! :)

C

Registered
@cnj8w I have relatively flat wrists that 'usually' range from 7" to 7.25", so the Dornblueth medium cases hit the sweet spot for me. At 6.5", your wrist dimensions (flat vs round) will likely contribute to any lug-to-lug overhang. I may be in the minority here but I feel the Dornblueth cases wear large from the stated case size, perhaps due to the dial size and thin bezel.

Reactions: Joshua G and cnj8w
41 - 60 of 118 Posts