WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

61 - 80 of 118 Posts

·
Registered
394 Posts
@cnj8w I have relatively flat wrists that 'usually' range from 7" to 7.25", so the Dornblueth medium cases hit the sweet spot for me. At 6.5", your wrist dimensions (flat vs round) will likely contribute to any lug-to-lug overhang. I may be in the minority here but I feel the Dornblueth cases wear large from the stated case size, perhaps due to the dial size and thin bezel.
Ah! Yes, I'll bet the DDS will be perfect for you. And I've read others saying the same--that DDS wears large. Hmmm... have to think this through a bit more. It may be that the quintus 38.5mm case is the best option for me.

Thanks for your thoughts!
C

·
Registered
1,004 Posts
Well guess what.

Take a gander at the WatchBuys website. They have been sold out of many models for months, now these are Special Order with a.............210 day (7 month) lead time. And the prices got bumped up again. Wonder if once the current stock is gone (there are about 6 available to buy) if those will flip to Special Order as well.

While it would be impossible to 'blame' the video, it is clear the secret is out and some of these models are not easy to get. Yes, some of it could be COVID-related (harder to have people producing, suppliers backed up AND more demand), but it seems the good old days are gone and either you need to wait or try to find a used one.

That said, unlike some other brands, nice you can just get in line vs. needing to be on the VIP list. I'd gladly wait 6, 12 months for a second one.

·
Registered
419 Posts
Well guess what.

Take a gander at the WatchBuys website. They have been sold out of many models for months, now these are Special Order with a.............210 day (7 month) lead time. And the prices got bumped up again. Wonder if once the current stock is gone (there are about 6 available to buy) if those will flip to Special Order as well.

While it would be impossible to 'blame' the video, it is clear the secret is out and some of these models are not easy to get. Yes, some of it could be COVID-related (harder to have people producing, suppliers backed up AND more demand), but it seems the good old days are gone and either you need to wait or try to find a used one.

That said, unlike some other brands, nice you can just get in line vs. needing to be on the VIP list. I'd gladly wait 6, 12 months for a second one.
Has anyone done the math on if it’s cheaper to go through WatchBuys or direct through dornbluth? I THINK direct is cheaper but I haven’t factored in shipping, customs, and other taxes.

·
Registered
806 Posts
Interesting that Watchbuys seems to have the 'full' catalog available compared to their previous inventory, specifically the medium size case models. Watchbuy's prices are noticeably higher (almost $1,400 over) compared to when I submitted my order directly thru Dornblueth for the 99.2-M but custom charges are still a question for me. Also, I don't know if Dornblueth also raised their prices and if that's reflected in Watchbuy's price.

Reactions: yellowfury

·
Registered
1,004 Posts
Interesting that Watchbuys seems to have the 'full' catalog available compared to their previous inventory, specifically the medium size case models. Watchbuy's prices are noticeably higher (almost $1,400 over) compared to when I submitted my order directly thru Dornblueth for the 99.2-M but custom charges are still a question for me. Also, I don't know if Dornblueth also raised their prices and if that's reflected in Watchbuy's price.
Not sure when you ordered, but prices have increased again recently (another 5% on top of an earlier increase). I think my 99.1 was just under $4,200 now it is $4,700 (about a 15% increase). Customs/duty would of course have a HUGE impact if you were asked to pay (I imagine they are not falsifying their shipping forms, and the values are high enough customs is certainly going to notice).

What is the duty of a watch coming from Germany to the USA?

·
Registered
806 Posts
So there was a price increase ... I haven't kept up with the price list since my order. I'm not certain on the exact customs charge; I ordered a MIH from Embassy several years back and that customs was approx. $600 to $700. Hopefully, it's not more than that. I wanted to make a few changes to the dial so I wanted to order direct thru Dornblueth. I still think it would be cheaper to order thru Dornblueth even with custom charges considering I would also have to pay tax thru Watchbuys along with their higher list price.

·
Registered
1,004 Posts
For accuracy, I paid $4,175 in March 2019 for my 99.1 (the one they have for $4,660 now). I'll let you, the fair reader, decide if that is warranted or not.

No question ordering direct could make sense in a lot of cases, especially if you wanted custom work. It was nice to order mine and have it 36 hours later, but things have changed, and worth waiting for!

·
Registered
419 Posts
For accuracy, I paid $4,175 in March 2019 for my 99.1 (the one they have for $4,660 now). I'll let you, the fair reader, decide if that is warranted or not.

No question ordering direct could make sense in a lot of cases, especially if you wanted custom work. It was nice to order mine and have it 36 hours later, but things have changed, and worth waiting for!
thanks for the info. I've never paid customs for any watches I've purchased overseas so it's a huge question mark for me. Anything I've purchased from overseas has been sub-800.

Living in california I have to consider my high sales tax as well... we have a use tax if you buy out of state but it's 50/50 if they come after you for it. Obviously you should pay it though...💸💸💸

·
Registered
62 Posts
Just to jump on this very interesting thread--I'm not sure how to get prices on their watches. I've requested a price list a few times, with no response. Any suggestions?

Thanks!
After I filled out there webform for their price list/catalogue it took about a month or so before I got it. They send me a very polite email stating that they had a overwhelming amount of interest and emails and have some trouble keeping up.

Correction: 2 months. I wrote in early November and got it in early January of this year.

It's in german but you should still get the main infos (edelstahl=stainless steel, bedruckt=printed, graviert=engraved). Compared to the other price list, the prices for their precious metal version seem to have gone up.

·
Registered
313 Posts
Dornblüth & Sohn recently posted a picture of an enamel dial center seconds watch, which of course prompted me to write and ask them about it.

Unfortunately the enamel dial is so brittle that it's only possible on the center seconds version of their watches.

So I'll be (happily) staying with my polished ceramic, but I figured I'd share here, since others might consider switching to enamel dial too.

·
Registered
201 Posts
Interesting re the enamel dial! I do t like the idea of it being potentially fragile though. Polished ceramic feels like the safe choice.

did they give you any update on your watch or time scales? I’ve been fighting the urge to email them asking about it. Patience has never been a strong point of mine.

4 and a bit months since the order went in, it feels like a loooong time ago.

·
Registered
313 Posts
Interesting re the enamel dial! I do t like the idea of it being potentially fragile though. Polished ceramic feels like the safe choice.

did they give you any update on your watch or time scales? I’ve been fighting the urge to email them asking about it. Patience has never been a strong point of mine.

4 and a bit months since the order went in, it feels like a loooong time ago.
All enamel dials are quite brittle, enamel is a type of melted glass after all. The upside of enamel is it's looks and longivity (if it doesn't break), both things shared by the polished ceramic, except ceramic isn't as brittle.

And Nope, I resisted the temptation of asking about timeline. I have a feeling they're very busy answering questions and taking orders and such, and me asking "when are we there?!" isn't gonna help, hehe.

My estimate is between April and June, so if we come to late June without any updates I'll ask.

·
Registered
419 Posts
I’ll join you all in dornbluth paradise sooner or later. Got some other large watch purchases I’ve budgeted so far. I thought about placing an order in January but I just honestly can’t figure out what colors I would want on the dial.

·
Registered
806 Posts
All enamel dials are quite brittle, enamel is a type of melted glass after all. The upside of enamel is it's looks and longivity (if it doesn't break), both things shared by the polished ceramic, except ceramic isn't as brittle.

And Nope, I resisted the temptation of asking about timeline. I have a feeling they're very busy answering questions and taking orders and such, and me asking "when are we there?!" isn't gonna help, hehe.

My estimate is between April and June, so if we come to late June without any updates I'll ask.
Once I see @En_Nissen and @Sleepysmith7 incoming pics then I know mine will be getting close. 😅

·
Registered
419 Posts
Anyone have dornbluth engrave the 3/4 plate with non-Latin characters? Ex- Cyrillic, Arabic, Chinese? I wonder if it’s doable.

·
Registered
313 Posts
Anyone have dornbluth engrave the 3/4 plate with non-Latin characters? Ex- Cyrillic, Arabic, Chinese? I wonder if it’s doable.
Considering they hand engrave it I'm fairly certain they can do much, although their lack of knowledge with those characters might be a limiting factor. I'd say try to ask them!

·
Registered
201 Posts
Others involved in this thread waiting on their orders might be interested to know that I heard fromDD&S today about singing off on the custom engraving for the movement of mine (ordered late Oct 20). I think that means they’ll start to build it soon and it should be ready in the next month or two.

mine will be No 328 of the 99.2’s.

excited!

·
Registered
313 Posts
And I can chime in and say I was contacted last week about the very same thing! Just forgot to update here. Mine is #730 of the 99.1 caliber.

Likewise extremely excited about getting closer to receiving the watch! And right on schedule too it would seem. Was given a 6-8 months time frame, and Tuesday next week six months will have passed since my order confirmation.

61 - 80 of 118 Posts