WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

101 - 118 of 118 Posts

·
Registered
201 Posts
Nooope, complete silence after confirming the movement engraving. :/
Yes same here. Our previous guess was there was about a week between yours and mine @En_Nissen so I keep hoping to see you put an update on here as that will mean I’m close!

I have no idea how much extra time the polish on the ceramic adds but figured that might have affected it?!

From memory I think I was quoted as May/June for completion. I guess something similar for you?

·
Registered
313 Posts
Yes same here. Our previous guess was there was about a week between yours and mine @En_Nissen so I keep hoping to see you put an update on here as that will mean I’m close!

I have no idea how much extra time the polish on the ceramic adds but figured that might have affected it?!

From memory I think I was quoted as May/June for completion. I guess something similar for you?
I'll make sure to update here the moment I hear something!

I doubt it added that much, and I'm also sure they took it into account when making the time estimate. I also had some changes to the movements and such on top of it though.

My time estimate was 6-8 months from order confirmation to time of delivery. On June 20 its been 8 months, so I do expect to hear from them soon.

·
Registered
201 Posts
Now that I think about it I wonder why the polished ceramic has such a large mark up on price?

It’s not like it will take special tooling or materials, and I can’t imagine it would be a highly skilled task (such as engraving). Any thoughts on that @En_Nissen?

·
Registered
313 Posts
Now that I think about it I wonder why the polished ceramic has such a large mark up on price?

It’s not like it will take special tooling or materials, and I can’t imagine it would be a highly skilled task (such as engraving). Any thoughts on that @En_Nissen?
It's done by hand, as opposed to the bead blasting, or however else they do the grained finish.

I'd guess the polished finish takes some rounds in different grits to get that proper glistening, especially considering how hard ceramic is.
And it's also not that easy to get a somewhat even finish by hand. On a surface like that, even minor inconsistencies in the polish will show in the way the dial reflects light.

Considering the work I do suppose an extra ~600€ sort of makes sense.

But I've said it before, and even though I've ordered one myself, I'll happily say it again:

I do think Dornblüth takes a too hefty upcharge for their custom dials, both in ceramic and in silver/brass. The same goes for their in house movements. As long as the "standard" dials and movements are that much cheaper, the extra charge for these features just seem very high.

So why did I still order it?
Because even with the too high premiums for "upgrades", I still think Dornblüth watches offer great value, considering all the hand work going into them.

Edit:
To add to the above, comparing polish to engravings, I actually think polishing is a harder task, although it doesn't require specialized tools.
The dial engravings are made using a pantograph, and while the tool is hand guided and probably does take some training, it is sort of an old school cnc machine, and as such can't be too hard to use.
Polishing a ceramic dial by hand probably takes more training.

·
Registered
131 Posts
Dornblüth charges quite a bit more for dial engraving than they do for polishing ceramic dials. If you want an engraved dial, it's going to cost you. But the dial material does not make much of a difference in that regard. If you want them to engrave a ceramic dial for you as opposed to brass, the difference in price is rather negligible.

As I understand it, engraving is not simply a matter of operating a pantograph; every number, letter, and line that is engraved into the dial has to be painted/filled in by hand. While the upcharge is steep, I can totally wrap my head around it.

I don't know what's involved in polishing ceramic dials. All I know is they're gorgeous and...well...in for a penny, in for a pound I say.

·
Registered
313 Posts
Dornblüth charges quite a bit more for dial engraving than they do for polishing ceramic dials. If you want an engraved dial, it's going to cost you. But the dial material does not make much of a difference in that regard. If you want them to engrave a ceramic dial for you as opposed to brass, the difference in price is rather negligible.

As I understand it, engraving is not simply a matter of operating a pantograph; every number, letter, and line that is engraved into the dial has to be painted/filled in by hand. While the upcharge is steep, I can totally wrap my head around it.

I don't know what's involved in polishing ceramic dials. All I know is they're gorgeous and...well...in for a penny, in for a pound I say.
Agreed, I might have downplayed the engraving effort a bit too much.

·
Registered
201 Posts
What our friends at DD&S went on to tell me was that they were very sorry but there is a fault with the dial - did you see it? Have another look if not ;)

basically it means they need to build a new dial for the watch so I’ll be be patiently waiting for another 6 weeks or so for this to happen.

mistakes happen and it’s been dealt with very well at their side so no complaints from me. I am sure they are more frustrated than I am at having to do the work again!

@En_Nissen you’ll not be far away now I suspect👍

·
Registered
313 Posts
What our friends at DD&S went on to tell me was that they were very sorry but there is a fault with the dial - did you see it? Have another look if not ;)

basically it means they need to build a new dial for the watch so I’ll be be patiently waiting for another 6 weeks or so for this to happen.

mistakes happen and it’s been dealt with very well at their side so no complaints from me. I am sure they are more frustrated than I am at having to do the work again!

@En_Nissen you’ll not be far away now I suspect
I was just about to post how jealous I was that yours was done, untill I read your second post.

Bad luck, but at least they noticed themselves before they sent it out! That's not a given with a lot of other brands.

But I'll definitely take this as a sign that mine will be ready very soon!

·
Registered
806 Posts

@En_Nissen you’ll not be far away now I suspect👍
Congrats on your watch and honestly, I wondered if that was your 99.2 when it hit Facebook. ;) I guess my wait will be just a tad longer. As you mentioned, they're probably more frustrated by the rework but glad to see they're making it right.

·
Registered
201 Posts
Congrats on your watch and honestly, I wondered if that was your 99.2 when it hit Facebook. ;) I guess my wait will be just a tad longer. As you mentioned, they're probably more frustrated by the rework but glad to see they're making it right.
did they post this on FB? I’m not big on social media so didn’t see that. Pretty surprised they’re posting stuff publicly with faults on it tbh! I suppose they want to be open about how mistakes can happen with hand built products.

… oh well. Looks like you’ll get yours before me @ParkinNJ 👍

·
Registered
806 Posts
Indeed, I checked the Facebook post again and missing dash is apparent on the sub-dial. Not sure how they handle their work-flow, mine may still come after yours. Either way, looking forward to seeing both our 99.2-M!

Reactions: En_Nissen
101 - 118 of 118 Posts