WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just wanted to share some pics from a Watchmaking 101 class held at the Horological society of NY, sponsored by Hodinkee. The class is limited to just 6 students with one on one instruction including 3 professional watchmakers from Rolex.

They have the class disassemble and then reassemble an ETA 6497 movement and provide a lot of additional education on the inner workings of the assembly and watchmaking in general.

It was a real blast, if you are near NYC, I highly recommend attending. Classes fill up quickly when they are made available: Education — Horological Society of New York

·
Banned
4,491 Posts
Thanks for posting this. Are these classes 'recreational' or more 'vocational'? Do students go on to become watchmakers or is it mostly for hobbyists with an interest in the function of timepieces?

·
Registered
1,370 Posts
Wow, that’s really cool, if I was ever in that area with time to attend, I think I'd do it. For $100 I'd say it's more recreational,
but I'm sure you walk out with a lot more horology knowledge than you walked in with, and had fun to boot. |>

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for posting this. Are these classes 'recreational' or more 'vocational'? Do students go on to become watchmakers or is it mostly for hobbyists with an interest in the function of timepieces?
Yea its definitely recreational, for inexperienced folks to get a taste of what watchmaking is all about...

·
Registered
3,812 Posts
Seems pretty cool

·
Registered
12,760 Posts
Looks like fun! And what a great business model, charge each participant $100 and the watchmakers will make 5X that amount when the people go home and break their fancy watches trying out what they learned! ;)

1 - 8 of 8 Posts