WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was wondering if any of you have built your own watchmaking desks? Or if you know where I would be able to find plans to make one?

Also, if you have any pictures of your current setup (i.e. work station) that would be very helpful.

Thanks guys

-Ian

·
Registered
30 Posts
Dedicate desks are really expensive to purchase. Ideally you want a work surface that you can rest your arms on, is high enough that it doesn't hurt your back, good lighting, some sort of edging to stop stuff rolling off the desk etc. I just re-did my office a little while ago, added the wall mounted desk surfaces.

YXKVth.jpg ttojCh.jpg

·
Registered
9,498 Posts
B E N C H

I was wondering if any of you have built your own watchmaking desks? Or if you know where I would be able to find plans to make one? Also, if you have any pictures of your current setup (i.e. work station) that would be very helpful. Thanks guys -Ian
Welcome to the forum ibigler. In the U.S. we call them benches (don't ask why).

Most questions have been asked before - some of them many times. Some of the previous answers were OK, maybe some of them could be improved on. Nothing in the forum rules prohibits posters from asking the same question over and over again. In fact, after a while this repetition of previously posed questions become fairly entertaining for those of us that don't have lives and spend way to much time here. [Are some of the posters maybe shopping for a different answer?]

One of my personal favorites is: What size crystal does my "Razor" by "Thermonuclear" require. Did I get that right MP? This type of query pre-supposes that the watchmaking forum participants actually know what is currently going on in the popular wristwatch market and have memorized the complete catalogues of every obscure dive/pilot watch brand sold for the last 10 years. News Flash to the outside world: Many of us consider anything after WW II as a fairly new watch and are for the most part more interested in what is under the hood than . . . . . .

Another oft repeated question (and a personal favorite that for some reason makes me chuckle every time I hear it): Where can I buy unique watch cases? I'm not satisified with what Xxxxxxxx or Yyyyyyyy sells. Or the grand variation on it: I have decided to start my own watch company and manufacture a unique line of exclusive watches and by the way, how do you . . . . . . . . . .

Anyway - thanks for the chuckle. And what ever you do, please don't tell anyone that we have a search function and that if you go the advanced feature and limit the query to this forum and in your case use the keyword - bench - that we will be deprived of more entertainment.

p

·
Registered
2,026 Posts
Re: B E N C H

Welcome, ibigler! As Rollox mentioned, height of the work surface is key. It should be about mid-chest to armpit level, so you're not hunching over the work, and you're coming in from the side, rather than overtop. When I started, I worked at my dining room table, but sitting on an old ottoman that lowered me to that level. That worked, but boy, did my legs ache after a while!

One day on a whim, I searched the local Craigs List for 'Watchmaker desk', and imagine my surprise when there was one! To make a long story short, I ended up getting it for $260, which isn't too bad considering what Otto Frei charges for them! I did have to refinish is before my wife would let me bring it into the living/dining room. But it's worth it! Now I have a place to work that's DESIGNED for it!

One thing this has that a homemade bench might not have is STORAGE! My dining room work station had a heap of cardboard boxes, watch material tins, pipet tip boxes, papers, books, binders, etc. The drawers of the desk absorb a whole lot of stuff, and keep it organized so I don't have so root through piles to find a spare parts movement, or whatever box it was that I put those spare watch hands in, or my stash of springbars. This bench has NINETEEN DRAWERS!

So, set yourself up with a workstation at the right height, with good lighting, and a nice non-shiny, but contrasty and low-bounce worksurface (drafting mats highly recommended!). But don't give up on the idea of getting a real watchmakers bench.

·
Registered
1,566 Posts

GJ, not only it is a fantastic bench, but also very rare. That was a killer find! Modern $2500-3000 benches are not that good.

·
Vintage & NAWCC Forum moderator
2,429 Posts

Here's my(messy) bench, bought locally from an 80-year old watchmaker. I bought all of his tools and parts, too!

I'm still enamored with the antique roll-top benches, and have been offered a handful of them for what I would consider to be reasonable prices. My problem is a lack of space for them, and getting them here! Probably the best was a gem from the 1890s offered to me for $1500, but I'd hate to think of what it would take to get it here from Boston.

M

·
0 Posts

Guys, you do have nice desks, I envy you, as at home, I have a simple and cheap "LEKSVIK bar table" from Ikea.
Sounds strange, but a 115 cm height is very useful.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #13

Welcome to the forum ibigler. In the U.S. we call them benches (don't ask why).

Most questions have been asked before - some of them many times. Some of the previous answers were OK, maybe some of them could be improved on. Nothing in the forum rules prohibits posters from asking the same question over and over again. In fact, after a while this repetition of previously posed questions become fairly entertaining for those of us that don't have lives and spend way to much time here. [Are some of the posters maybe shopping for a different answer?]

One of my personal favorites is: What size crystal does my "Razor" by "Thermonuclear" require. Did I get that right MP? This type of query pre-supposes that the watchmaking forum participants actually know what is currently going on in the popular wristwatch market and have memorized the complete catalogues of every obscure dive/pilot watch brand sold for the last 10 years. News Flash to the outside world: Many of us consider anything after WW II as a fairly new watch and are for the most part more interested in what is under the hood than . . . . . .

Another oft repeated question (and a personal favorite that for some reason makes me chuckle every time I hear it): Where can I buy unique watch cases? I'm not satisified with what Xxxxxxxx or Yyyyyyyy sells. Or the grand variation on it: I have decided to start my own watch company and manufacture a unique line of exclusive watches and by the way, how do you . . . . . . . . . .

Anyway - thanks for the chuckle. And what ever you do, please don't tell anyone that we have a search function and that if you go the advanced feature and limit the query to this forum and in your case use the keyword - bench - that we will be deprived of more entertainment.

p
Hey Pithy,

Thanks for your input. I did search the forum before posting this, but could not find any posts matching my question. I was looking for plans to make a work bench. Still havent found any. If you know of any, please let me know. Also I apologize for my misuse of "desk" as opposed to "bench". To me a desk implies that it would have drawers, where as a bench would be sans drawers.

Thanks

1 - 13 of 13 Posts