WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,890 Posts
So I installed OS4 yesterday and love it, except for two issues with heart rate tracking. First, it sporadically will give a way-off reading (like a one-time 180bpm when I was around 60bpm). The other issue is that it will only record an HR reading when I manually check it. It went 8 hours today without recording a single reading. Anyone else having similar issues? Oh yeah, and my standing is no longer recorded at all (zero all day).

·
Registered
229 Posts
Re: OS4 heart rate issues?

Hmm. That’s weird. I think there are definitely some teething problems. I did my first workout today with OS4. The progress (distance and calories) froze up a couple of times, but always recovered by pausing the workout, and resuming. Also, halfway through, I couldn’t get any reading from either my chest strap, or the built-in sensor when I disconnected the strap. Suddenly, it just started working again.

I’m also not getting any readings on the new resting heart rate. Ah well, It’ll get sorted in the end.

·
Registered
1,890 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
So a chat with Apple Support and I'm back in business. OS4 turned Wrist Detection off and that is now hidden in Passcodes so I missed it!

·
Registered
4,822 Posts
Eventually Apple will endup selling the accumulated health data to insurance companies, which in turn given an individual's risk profile, will either refuse coverage or only provide it at a premium. Ahhhh, the blessings of the union between commercial technology and healthcare.

·
Registered
2,230 Posts
I compared AW3 HR reading with Polar H2 chest strap today and the readings were within +/- 3 all the time, and even closer a lot of times throughout the 30 minute session.

Image-1.jpg

image1.png

·
Registered
1,890 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I've been impressed with the HR accuracy too. Twice now, I've done 40-minute HIIT classes with the Apple Watch on my left wrist and My Garmin Fenix 5 on the right (using my Garmin chest strap with the Fenix). The readings were very, very close - too close to quibble about. There were a couple times the Apple Watch lost the HR reading, but I'm sure that's due to it being a wrist-based sensor versus a chest strap.

·
Registered
229 Posts
Sadly, I have that skin type on which all wrist-borne heart rate monitors are next to useless. I’ve tried many. All fail. At least the Apple Watch connects to a chest strap.

·
Registered
17,858 Posts
Eventually Apple will endup selling the accumulated health data to insurance companies, which in turn given an individual's risk profile, will either refuse coverage or only provide it at a premium. Ahhhh, the blessings of the union between commercial technology and healthcare.
Um... "Eventually" is "last year", or even a few years earlier if you want to burn Fitbit at the stake, too.

Although your wording -- "selling the accumulated health data to insurance companies" -- is completely false.

·
Registered
1,890 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I am contemplating getting a AW for fitness purposes and after reading the posts on accuracy, I think I going for one.
regards
I highly recommend it. I've used a FitBit Charge 2, Garmin Fenix 3 and 5 and now AW Series 2. While nobody beats Garmin's metrics, the Apple Watch is my favorite for giving real time, in-workout data. Accuracy is the best of any wrist-based sensor (they are all somewhat flawed) and coupled with a Polar H10 chest strap I think it would be hard to beat. You can pick up a Series 2 at a great price these days!

·
Registered
2,230 Posts
I highly recommend it. I've used a FitBit Charge 2, Garmin Fenix 3 and 5 and now AW Series 2. While nobody beats Garmin's metrics, the Apple Watch is my favorite for giving real time, in-workout data. Accuracy is the best of any wrist-based sensor (they are all somewhat flawed) and coupled with a Polar H10 chest strap I think it would be hard to beat. You can pick up a Series 2 at a great price these days!
I stopped wearing the chest strap after i got the AW3.
The cardiogram on the iphone activity app is much better than the bike app i use with chest strap.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts