WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
837 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Did anyone read the article in Watchtime's August 2010 issue about ETA (Swatch) not selling movements to 3rd parties any longer?

Am trying to fully understand the meaning of this and how it will affect Bill/MKII or if it will affect him at all.

Bill, I know you are busy, but do you have any thoughts on this? Will MKII continue to exist with ETA movements or will you have to use others?

What will happen?

Anyone's thoughts welcome if they have information on this.

Thanks,
Rich

·
Registered
837 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·

·
Registered
616 Posts
The Watchtime article just stated Hayeks(RIP) desire to no longer sell movements to people who were not true watchmakers. I am sure it will take a few years to come to fruition and the Selitta's of the world are probably more than glad to hear this. I have a Maurice Lacroix Diver with the SW200 movement that keeps +2to+4 sec/day time. I really think this could be a good thing.
Chris

·
Registered
118 Posts
Is it true????

The Watchtime article just stated Hayeks(RIP) desire to no longer sell movements to people who were not true watchmakers. I am sure it will take a few years to come to fruition and the Selitta's of the world are probably more than glad to hear this. I have a Maurice Lacroix Diver with the SW200 movement that keeps +2to+4 sec/day time. I really think this could be a good thing.
Chris
I have read but cannot authenticate that ROLEX has purchased SELLITA. I read that SELLITA will supply movements to ROLEX's second brand, TUDOR. TUDOR has used ETA movements in the past.

If this rumored purchase is true I wonder if ROLEX will also cutoff third party sales? :think:

·
Registered
2,646 Posts
Re: Is it true????

I have read but cannot authenticate that ROLEX has purchased SELLITA. I read that SELLITA will supply movements to ROLEX's second brand, TUDOR. TUDOR has used ETA movements in the past.

If this rumored purchase is true I wonder if ROLEX will also cutoff third party sales? :think:
Even Rolex has been affected by ETA and recent changes they have made.

Rolex and others were buying escapements from ETA for their own movements. They could no longer do so, which is why Rolex developed the Parachrom Bleu hairspring. It needed to go in house for these common components.

There's another great option, (Soprod). I think it will increase the cost of watches since the movements are more than the equivalent ETA, but they'll probably still be for sale.

Bill commented on a meeting with Soprod last year as well as his good relationship with ETA.

https://www.watchuseek.com/f325/any-chance-eta-soprod-321280.html

·
Registered
2,197 Posts
Re: Is it true????

I have read but cannot authenticate that ROLEX has purchased SEL LITA. I read that SELLITA will supply movements to ROLEX's second brand, TUDOR. TUDOR has used ETA movements in the past.

If Rolex did indeed buy SELLITA, I can't see them limiting the sale of movements. If they were only using the movements in their Tudor watches, they could probably run their manufacture 1 day per week and produce plenty of movements for Tudor. Also why would you cut off a big chunk of your business? Someone is going to make the movements for all the watchmakers who now use ETA movements. If Hayek, may he be in that great watchmakers workshop in the sky, thought that by cutting off the supply of movements to everyone else he was going to drive his competition out of business, then he was delusional. As long as there is a market for a product, someone is going to come in and fill the void. i wouldn't fret about movement availability, they will be available. At first some of the specialized movements, i.e. GMT, Day/date, Chronograph, etc. may be in short supply, but over time, other manufacturers will design and build these movements as well.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts