WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner
41 - 56 of 56 Posts

·
Mod. Russian, China Mech.
19,411 Posts
Here's #66. Tracking says it's still in New Jersey, but it arrived yesterday. Now to brush up on my college Russian so I don't have to look everything up in the English instructions.

Instagram: @vta_watch
Looks great on mesh

Reactions: larand

·
Registered
2,881 Posts
Very pleased (initial reactions over in the general discussion thread) second owner of 87/300 checking in with some initial shots

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
19,411 Posts
By now we all know what this watch looks like so my photos will focus on a few strap and bracelet options. But first a few quick impressions:

I like this dial. It has that that 'technical' look that is so much part of the Elektronika tradition, but the Watchuseek colours add a surprisingly serious tone. This really is the perfect look for both work and play.

The brushed steel case looks great. Beautiful crisp edges. The classic Elektronika octagonal case shape is a favourite of mine. The new 4-screw case back adds no extra thickness as the rim needed for a snap-on back is eliminated.

The bigger, sprung pushers take a firmer push compared to the pin pushers on my other Elektronika, but the feel is much more precise. I'm very happy with those pushers. The functions of the 55 module are already familiar to me and it's a great suite of functions and very easy to use.

It's not all good though. Unfortunately one of the watches arrived with a dead segment in one of the minute digits, so I will need to follow up with Technochas about that.

I was keen to see how the LCD display would compare with my other Elektronika. The faintly greenish cast is there again. The stumpy digits are quite attractive in my opinion but unfortunately they a bit small for my old eyes. Compared to the 55D the digits look a darker and more precise when I'm wearing my reading glasses, but otherwise the larger size of the 55D is the winner. It means that this watch will be for daylight only.

Watch Azure Rectangle Clock Watch accessory

So onto the straps....

First is a selection of pull-through nylon straps.

Watch Clock Rectangle Watch accessory Material property

The Perlon proved to be very comfortable. Its light weight is a perfect match for this thin, light watch. In spite of the straightness of the lugs, the watch doesn't sit up too high and the strap turns down very nicely over the springbars. The texture of the strap adds some subtly interesting detail without detracting from the watch itself. The tendency of the braids to spread slightly when on the watch means that a Perlon goes on more easily than it comes off.

Also seen here is a rather worn classic NATO G10 and a khaki NATO style strap just to give an idea of other colour possibilities. The G10 is a bit frayed at the end, making it hard to fit with the extremely tight lug space on this watch. Take note: Very tight. The modern thicker NATO style strap might not actually fit, and even if it did, it would not sit right. The grossgrain nylon does not turn down as tight as the braided Perlon.

Next we have a selection of suitably thin and lightweight bracelets...

Watch Rectangle Font Material property Watch accessory

First of all is a vintage Casio-style bracelet. I've chosen one with 5-row inner links for the sake of comparison with the Technochas-supplied bracelet beside it. The flare at the lug end is slightly too wide on this bracelet but it adds a bit of presence if that's what you like, but the straight 18mm of the Technochas bracelet looks a bit tidier. Rather worryingly the Technochas bracelet feels even lighter in the hand than the vintage bracelet, but it turns out to be just as comfortable. The removeble links were easy enough, and I really prefer the deployant clasp to the other sort. The brushing is a perfect match for the watch case.

For something a bit different I found a fine mesh bracelet (or do we call it a 'strap' when it has a buckle?). This looks better than I expected. Mesh is a seriously good option for this watch, but it must be fine mesh.

Now for some 2-piece strap options...

Watch Product Watch accessory Clock Font

For those with smaller wrists, a lightweight resin strap might be a good option. I find this just too insubstantial, but a generic F91W replacement (available from most cobbler's kiosks in this town), having the lug-end flare, might balance that out. Something to consider for the future.

Next to this we have couple of Vostok-style straps. The one with white stitching was supplied by Technochas. This is not such a good choice for this watch. The thickness of the leather makes it very hard to fit and not really needed on such a thin watch. The strap is a lot shinier than I expected. It's a good strap and I think it will look good on my Poljot 131 Signal but it's not the strap for this watch.

Just for fun, here's an old forum favourite making a cameo appearance...

Watch Rectangle Clock Watch accessory Font

A 'Bund'/saddle style in small size and lightweight material seems like a good match for the Elektronika, but it is the poorest fit of all the straps shown today due to the lug shape. Gagarin is going back to the spared box.

That covers most of the straps that I have ready to hand. There are other possibilities already attached to other watches which I might dig out if I find the time.

For now I have returned to the Perlon strap. It is very comfortable and looks just right somehow.

·
19,411 Posts
Something a bit different; a ‘presidential’ style bracelet in gunmetal.

Watch Hand Rectangle Clock Watch accessory

What is you opinion; adds some needed presence or too hefty for a thin watch?

·
19,411 Posts
Polished version on vintage Speidel. What a pain it was getting the springbar ends to get home.

View attachment 15995210
I was surprised how good mine looks on mesh. I might be switching over tomorrow.

So far, from one friend I have got the thumbs-up for the Perlon and the thumbs-down for the gunmetal.

·
Registered
168 Posts
Good to see another arrival. How are you liking it?
Totally loving it Chascomm. As someone who used to use Super 8mm film and actually got to like the wait for it to arrive back from the processors, sometimes a couple of weeks, the wait for the watch is actually a bonus factor.

So many thanks to everyone on the Project 2019 who helped make this happen.

Quality is excellent. So light too. After wearing Vostoks day in day out its like giving the wrist a holiday.

Gone with a black leather strap right now, really feels good.

Great design.

Just seen you on the September forum wearing the ChN-01........................ Now that looks totally amazing. Can see one being on order later :)

41 - 56 of 56 Posts