WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Premium Member
20,641 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Dear all,

Watchuseek is proud to be the main sponsor of cyclist Gijs Geerards from The Netherlands. Gijs is one of the participants of the XVIII World Transplant Games.

Gijs, born on November 7, 1979 was diagnosed with a life threatening kidney decease in 2005. His brother Stoffel then decided in 2007 to offer one of his, which lead to his recovery and gaining back a "normal" life.

Gijs:
I want to prove who far one can go with a new kidney. It's obvious that no day goes by without being aware of the fact I had a transplant. All the medication I need daily reminds me of it. But most important is not to stand still about what I can't do anymore, but what I still can do.
Bio: Gijs lives together with his lovely wife Marjolein and daughter Annelin and works as a teacher on a school for children with special needs (age 12-18) in Breda, The Netherlands.

About the World Transplant Games
For over 20 years the World Transplant Games Federation has been staging international sporting events for transplant athletes in order to demonstrate the physical success of transplant surgery and to raise awareness of the need to increase organ donation.

The Summer World Transplant Games take place every two years where over 1500 athletes representing some 69 countries compete at an extraordinarily high level. Many however just come to enjoy taking part at their own pace and welcome the opportunity to meet with other transplant recipients in an atmosphere of fun and friendship.

The World Transplant Games Federation is officially recognised by the International Olympic Committee.

The 18th World Transplant Games are due to take place in Goteborg, Sweden from 17th to 24th June 2011.
We wish Gijs good luck and a great time in Sweden. No matter if he crosses the finish line as the #1, to us he already is a WINNER (not to mention his brother) !

·
Registered
4,427 Posts
Very nice! Good luck, Gijs!

~Sherry.

·
Banned
451 Posts
Good for you guys. Carol, my late wife of over 30 years had a Kidney Transplant in 1983 and it transformed her life. She lost both of her kidneys because of an overdose of medication in the hospital in 1979 at UCSF. Her transplant was performed at OHSU by Dr. Norman who was the head of the Transplant unit. She had her transplant untll the day she died on October 12, 2006. Her kidney passed with her.

Good luck in the games

Alain

·
Registered
8,427 Posts
Fantastic, what a great thing to be doing.

·
Registered
7,751 Posts
Good luck Gijs, and well done, Ernie and WUS! |>

·
Registered
1,443 Posts
How fabulous is that! Best of luck Gijs, we are all rooting for you!

Dan

1 - 10 of 10 Posts