WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Inquiring for a friend about possible solutions to some moisture taken on. The watch is a Breitling Navitimer, about 4 yrs old.

The watch has not been submerged but it has been raining in the area. On the day of the "incident" the watch spent some time in a personal aircraft at ~5000ft, then spent some time out doing some yard work and some minor repairs around (NOT IN) the pool. I believe the pressure changes in addition to the humidity are what caused the moisture. The crown was not open and the chrono pushers were not pressed. Thinking this is just a 'perfect' set of circumstances for a less than ideal outcome.

No moisture at the back of the case, so I believe the incursion is minimal

As soon as this occurred I recommended placing the watch in some rice with the crown open over night

This morning, all is well again!

.....until around two hours later while outside.....

The watch is going back into the rice again to see if it will clear up for good this time. Any other suggestions?

If this isn't remedied then sending it back to Breitling is an option, but looking for anyone local as well if we cannot remedy this ourselves. To be a bit more specific, the west side of Philly.

Thank you for any help you can lend.

·
Registered
495 Posts
Send it to warranty ?

When a watch gets humidity, is best to service it, if you want to risk it, open the caseback and chrome to let it dry faster.

You will not believe how much damage can do just a little bit of water

·
Registered
11,841 Posts
Yeah, full service ASAP. If you can get it under warranty, all the better. But it needs to be cleaned/dried or it will soon be toast.

·
Registered
670 Posts
Full service ASAP. If it fogged up again, there is likely a bad seal and moisture is getting in. The movement will likely need to be overhauled as the moisture will cause it to oxidize. The sooner you get it serviced, the cheaper the repair will be as time will make the oxidation damage worse.

·
Registered
2,482 Posts
Agreed service ASAP

·
Registered
670 Posts
I know that you want to service the watch locally, but it may be best to send it directly to Breitling. It looks like a full service costs about $500. In such cases, I'd imagine you can go to local AD and they will handle the shipping to and form the service center. I'm only recommending going to a service center because they are guaranteed to have replacement seals and parts for the watch. Plus, I'm fairly certain that once the watch is in the AD's hands, it's their responsibility, and there shouldn't be any worry of it getting lost stolen in the mail. Here is a pricing list from the Breitling website. Hope this helps!

Edit: Oops; just realized the it's actually closer to $850 which is near Rolex service prices and a big chunk of change. On the bright side, the big bonus here is that most service centers offer warranties on their repair work.This means, that if the watch bugs out within a year of the service, then they fix it for free! Might be worth the peace of mind for such a nice watch.

Edit: I did a little more research on the Breitling site, and they don't disclose by how much a warranty is extended after a service. They simply state
"All work performed by an authorized Breitling service center, and mentioned on the corresponding invoice/delivery note, is under warranty during the amount of time mentioned on the invoice."
Which is grossly vauge.

Furthermore, the watch that you have may be under warranty, however, it appears that Breitling has a cop out clause in their warranty policy stating
"All Breitling watches are covered by an international warranty valid for two years after purchase, except for watches with a mechanical manufacture movement, which are covered during 5 years (provided that water resistance tests are performed every 2 years following the date of purchase by an authorized Breitling service center)."

I can't even imagine even the wildest of WIS's sending their watch into a service center every two years to get pressure tested. Anyway, if your friend had those pressure tests done and the watch is only four years old, then you have a year of warranty left. Perhaps it may be best to get the repair done locally (especially if it's cheaper). All this info on Breitling service makes them seem shady. For the cost of $850, I'd like for them to clearly state that they offer at least a year of warranty on their work. Sorry for bombing this thread with all this info. Again, I hope this helps!

Here is the source of the above info:

·
Registered
742 Posts
Check out Horological Services in Boyertown, they are an authorized service center. I used them a few years back for my breitling. I just looked them up on Breitlings site. I am semi local to them and brought it into the shop in person, apt is needed, at least a few years ago when I took mine there.

146 WEST PHILADELPHIA AVENUE
19512 BOYERTOWN, USA
PHONE+1 610 367 7337

·
Registered
3,381 Posts
Govberg Jewelers has an extensive service department. They have a shop in Bala Cynwyd.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts