WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner
1 - 20 of 63 Posts

·
Premium Member
Omega Seamaster Professional 300M
1,304 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all,

While leather straps look the business on a dress watch (or a dressy sports watch), I'm not super keen on the care and maintenance that needs to be taken with leather. I'm one of those heathens that wears their watch in the shower, or while bathing my children, or while washing the dishes, or in the pool/on the beach. Long story short, it gets wet a lot, and I want my straps to be able to cope with that.

My go-to straps have always been Erika's Originals, but I'd like something a bit smarter and dressier when I want to dress up my watch. So I'm on the hunt for straps that can handle water, but look smarter than your typical MN/NATO/Zulu/Tropic styles.

One option I've found so far is the Crown & Buckle Chevron single-pass nylon straps, which are basically NATOs but with less excess fabric bulk and with dressier looking colourways and weaves:

Image from Crown and Buckle, "Harris" style strap on a Black Bay 58.

I've got two of those on order, but can anyone think of other options that would look appropriate on a dressy watch but be wearable for all occasions?

·
Registered
634 Posts
You can use leather but it'll take maintenance. Any widely available leather conditioner. Rubber and nylon are the no think about it.

People wear leather shoes in the rain all the time. Military boots. Where they use to instruct you to soak them and wear them till dry. Saddle in the rain?...

Look at the horse leather. Woven nylon with a leather backing. Practically any leather. Understand it won't look new. It'll take a patina and will darken.

The key to this is leather care. Something that's thousands of years old.

·
Registered
8,090 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,304 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
People wear leather shoes in the rain all the time.

The key to this is leather care. Something that's thousands of years old.
Dude, my first sentence was literally that I'm not keen to care or maintain leather, lol!

Besides which, leather getting rained on is one thing. What about being immersed in salt water, chlorinated water, hot soapy water? Detergents?

·
Registered
634 Posts
Dude, my first sentence was literally that I'm not keen to care or maintain leather, lol!

Besides which, leather getting rained on is one thing. What about being immersed in salt water, chlorinated water, hot soapy water? Detergents?
Buy cheap and toss it afterwards. Unless you wanted a $200 horn back alligator. Maintenance my man. Expand your choices. Lube the thing while having a beer.

Animal and your sweat equals salt. Saddle soap.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Hey all,

While leather straps look the business on a dress watch (or a dressy sports watch), I'm not super keen on the care and maintenance that needs to be taken with leather. I'm one of those heathens that wears their watch in the shower, or while bathing my children, or while washing the dishes, or in the pool/on the beach. Long story short, it gets wet a lot, and I want my straps to be able to cope with that.

My go-to straps have always been Erika's Originals, but I'd like something a bit smarter and dressier when I want to dress up my watch. So I'm on the hunt for straps that can handle water, but look smarter than your typical MN/NATO/Zulu/Tropic styles.

One option I've found so far is the Crown & Buckle Chevron single-pass nylon straps, which are basically NATOs but with less excess fabric bulk and with dressier looking colourways and weaves:

View attachment 16105552
Image from Crown and Buckle, "Harris" style strap on a Black Bay 58.

I've got two of those on order, but can anyone think of other options that would look appropriate on a dressy watch but be wearable for all occasions?
Definitely interesting! Love the Harris on that 58.
Well, apart from what’s been said, FWIW, sailcloth is usually stiff and do fray on the sides with time.
Looking forward to your feedback on them Chevrons!

·
Premium Member
1,304 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Perlon, or bracelet, or just take the watch off while you're doing dishes.
Shan't! I pick watches that are tough enough to suit my lifestyle, being precious over a strap is what I'm trying to avoid.

I'm curious about perlon, but having not owned them before I wonder if they're durable enough to support a steel sports watch? They look rather thin and loosely woven.

Hirsch and Di-Modell make"waterproof" leather straps.
I'm not familiar with Di-Modell, thanks for the heads up. Do you own any, and can you comment on how they wear/feel?

FWIW, sailcloth is usually stiff and do fray on the sides with time.
That's really interesting to know. Do the Artem straps suffer from this as well, or does it depend on how well-made the sailcloth is?

·
Registered
125 Posts
I'm not familiar with Di-Modell, thanks for the heads up. Do you own any, and can you comment on how they wear/feel?
I'm afraid not. But I've owned some Hirsch straps, and they're well-made. I'd expect their waterproof ones would not be compromised. Note that Hirsch has a couple of waterproof lines... one is leather bonded to a rubber strap:

The other looks like an ordinary strap, but is made waterproof somehow:

As for Di-Modell, look at their "wapro" straps.

Hirsch and Di-Modell were just the two I thought of off the top of my head. I'm sure other makers are doing the same.

·
Premium Member
1,989 Posts
Take a look at the Barton Leather/ Rubber hybrid straps. $30. on their website. I am one that enjoys a good quality bracelet. Vance.

·
Registered
271 Posts
I'm curious about perlon, but having not owned them before I wonder if they're durable enough to support a steel sports watch? They look rather thin and loosely woven.
I quite like them for the summer, actually. They're tougher than they look - in all my clumsiness, I've torn a few leather straps, but never a perlon.

·
Premium Member
1,104 Posts
Take a look at the Barton Leather/ Rubber hybrid straps. $30. on their website. I am one that enjoys a good quality bracelet. Vance.
I'm a big fan of Barton straps -- have a ton of them -- but I find my leather/rubber hybrid a bit stiff and uncomfortable. Also, I'm not sure if leather on the outside really addresses the OP's concern -- because the leather part will still get wet while he's doing the dishes or whatever. I personally favor rubber or soft canvas for this sort of thing. Although ... cork might be an option worth looking into. It's made to repel water, right? (Right?) I have a Martú cork strap which is good-looking and has proved quite durable.

·
Premium Member
1,304 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Martú cork strap
That's a thing that I didn't know existed! They look really cool!

I'm super keen to hear how you've been liking yours so far. Is it supple on the wrist?

The rubber/leather hybrids seem like they will only be water resistant in one direction, aka inside the wrist. I can see how that would make them much more resilient against sweat, but not so much against immersion. Barton's bands as you mentioned seem to get a lot of negative feedback about the stiffness as well. I wonder how Hirsch performance straps are 100M water resistant rated with a leather upper?

·
Registered
162 Posts
I got two of the MING rubber straps look as if they are leather. they look great on MING watches and okay on some other watches. they have curved spring bars and also they are $250 a pop...

·
Registered
35 Posts
That's really interesting to know. Do the Artem straps suffer from this as well, or does it depend on how well-made the sailcloth is?

Happened to a couple OEMs, a.k.a. very well made…
My personal opinion, it’s a hit and miss combination of straps being just a hair too fat and the edges of the buckle a tad sharp.

I used a lighter and gently ran the flame along the edge, burning off the excess and melting the rubber ends, sort of sealing them off. No harmful effects.

Arguably for the price I shouldn't have to do that, but it is what it is.

Cheers!

1 - 20 of 63 Posts