WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I got my very first Seiko watch today which is a snzf51k1 with 7S36B movement and only just realised that it doesn't have a screw-down crown. It is marked to be water resistant to 100M and I seriously wonder how it can possibly achieve that without a screw-down crown.

I understand that even some swiss-branded watches are made in China these days and there have been plenty of reports on water seeping in only days after purchase for those Chinese made watches. I realise that the Seiko I purchased today isn't made in Japan or otherwise it would've surely shouted "Made in Japan". However, after looking through all over the watch itself as well as paperworks that it comes with I failed to identify which country it is made in, and now I seriouly doubt if it's made in China.

Could someone kindly tell me where it is made, whether it's normal for Seiko 100m not to have a screw-down crown, and how likely it is for water to get into the workings. I live in New Zealand and I go to swim in the sea very often (not so much scuba diving though), especially with summer on the way I really don't like having to take it off every time before I dip into the water. Cheers.

·
Registered
2,407 Posts
I got my very first Seiko watch today which is a snzf51k1 with 7S36B movement and only just realised that it doesn't have a screw-down crown. It is marked to be water resistant to 100M and I seriously wonder how it can possibly achieve that without a screw-down crown.

I understand that even some swiss-branded watches are made in China these days and there have been plenty of reports on water seeping in only days after purchase for those Chinese made watches. I realise that the Seiko I purchased today isn't made in Japan or otherwise it would've surely shouted "Made in Japan". However, after looking through all over the watch itself as well as paperworks that it comes with I failed to identify which country it is made in, and now I seriouly doubt if it's made in China.

Could someone kindly tell me where it is made, whether it's normal for Seiko 100m not to have a screw-down crown, and how likely it is for water to get into the workings. I live in New Zealand and I go to swim in the sea very often (not so much scuba diving though), especially with summer on the way I really don't like having to take it off every time before I dip into the water. Cheers.
Urban myth buster: Contrary to common beliefs a screw down crown is not a necessity for a high WR rating. There are diver watches tested according ISO 6425 with 20 bar WR that do not have screw down crowns anymore. A proper constructed modern gasket system is self-sealant with increasing pressure.

Just - screw down crowns (as a one-and-only measure for stem water tighness) are much cheaper to build than a proper gasket system. That's why some watch manufacturers still use them. Or as an additional safety feature to prevent accidentally pulling out the crown. Or simply to fulfill common misbeliefs.

·
Premium Member
10,580 Posts
Mark is absolutely right. You do NOT need a screw down crown for up to 200m WR with modern gaskets and such. We discussed this on the Fortis Forum recently because the modern Fortis B42 models are all 200m WR and have push-pull crowns. Every few months someone challenges the idea that they can possibly be REALLY 200m WR with that setup and we point to an independent review of dive watches done by a German Watch Magazine in which they were seriolusly surprised by the results - it works quite well.

https://www.watchuseek.com/showthread.php?t=314245

·
Banned
5,850 Posts
I believe that ISO certification actually requires pressure testing with the crown unscrewed.

WR actually comes from the gaskets on the stem of the crown. Threads don't do nothing for WR. Just leave out your case back gasket and see what happens.

The use of display back results in a downgrade of WR. I believe that most if not all Seiko 5 models are 100M WR.

As for where your watch was made, it is hard to know for sure. It is likely that parts of it were made all over Asia with final casing somethere there also.

·
Registered
284 Posts

My 6105-8110 does not have a screw down crown and it's water fastness is fine - because the gaskets are all up to date! ;-)

·
Registered
502 Posts
For years I had swum with a Guess sports watch rated to 50 m. It never leaked. Given this experience, I would not hesitate to swim with a Seiko that's rated to 100 m. Don't operate the crown after immersion until the watch has been in a dry environment for many hours. This goes for any watch, not just those lacking a screw-down crown.

Best of luck,
Myles

1 - 9 of 9 Posts