WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner
  • Hello WatchUSeek! We are hosting an Ask Me Anything with Ian Schon of Schon Horology and Schon DSNG beginning on Tuesday, February 23rd at Noon, EST and closing on Thursday, February 25th at Noon EST. If you don't know of him, Ian is a desginer maker and was a senior product designer at IDEO. He is an engineer, designer and machinist who manufacturers his own watches, and also pens! If you've ever wanted to ask a question directly to a one-man watch maker, don't miss out! You can find the AMA here.

Wave Pattern Preference on Bond SMP

• I Like the Original Bond SMP 2531.80 Wave Pattern

Votes: 60 46.5%
  • I Like the New Bond SMP 2220.80 Wave Pattern

Votes: 69 53.5%
1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently visited an AD and compared the blue wave pattern on the dial of the 2531.80 Bond SMP with that of the 2220.80 new Bond SMP with co-axial movement. For me, the new dial has a dizzying alternating wave pattern that really stands out against the light when directed at the right angle. Whereas, in the Bond SMP, the wave pattern is uniform across and has no dizzying effect. By dizzying, I mean hard to look at for more than a quick glance. You sort of get mesmerized. The dial sort of grabs all your attention.

New features aside, I prefer the old wave design. For those who've seen both in-person, do any of you have an opinion on the wave pattern?

I setup a poll as well. So, feel free to vote for your wave pattern preference.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Here is a pic I found on the net of the new 2220.80. The lighting angle shows the distinct alternating wave pattern that is really bold and sort of screams out at you. The hands get washed out in a quick glance. The effect is more subdued in the Original Bond SMP as seen in Joukowski's shot.

What do you all think?

Attachments

·
Registered
51 Posts
same thing on the SMPchr. I had the choise. I had the two different watches in my hand and indeed, in direct light and under a certain angle the waves stops beeing a wave (just a little curve) and becomes metallic.
I like the changes. I went for the newer version.
Since I have it are not the waves that troubles me, i like them, but the missing luminous dots at 12, 3, 6 and 9. At night it can be very confusing, especially with the longer hands. But that will be for another poll.:)

·
Registered
51 Posts
Same thing with the applied omega on the 2225.80 but I find it rather amusing to find out the view changes in different conditions. The wavy pattern dissappaers, is black, is bleu, is metallic, short then long. Omega sing and word appear or disappear. Sometimes I even don't like the view at all but most of the time I love it.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Same thing with the applied omega on the 2225.80 but I find it rather amusing to find out the view changes in different conditions. The wavy pattern dissappaers, is black, is bleu, is metallic, short then long. Omega sing and word appear or disappear. Sometimes I even don't like the view at all but most of the time I love it.
I've been struggling with whether to buy a 2222.80 during the last week. Love your description of the ever-changing face. It's a nice way of looking at it. :)

·
Registered
51 Posts
I've been struggling with whether to buy a 2222.80 during the last week. Love your description of the ever-changing face. It's a nice way of looking at it. :)

Just another remark. This night a came across a problem because of the longer hands. At night when the minute hand passes an hour mark it is difficult to see what time it is. The minute hand has a triangle lume spot but this is hard to see in the dark.

·
Registered
704 Posts
a lume-ol'waves shot of the SMP found in my hard drive. I facinated by the way the waves reflects light just momentarily at the right angle, perhaps this was a feature Omega decided to embolden in the new Bond.
:)

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
a lume-ol'waves shot of the SMP found in my hard drive. I facinated by the way the waves reflects light just momentarily at the right angle, perhaps this was a feature Omega decided to embolden in the new Bond.
:)
Very nice lume photo. That PAM 90 isn't too bad either! :-!

I wonder why a double coated AR wasn't applied to the new Omega Bond SMPs like in the PO?

A double AR coat would make the new wave effect look even better without the details being washed out at the right lighting angle.

Also, there was some talk about Bond SMPs not coming with the cleaning cloth. This is because the Bond SMPs are only AR coated on the inside. The PO has the AR on both sides. The cleaning cloth is utilized for wiping the outside AR coat. :)

·
Registered
23 Posts
I found the bond wave to be more visible than the black SMP. I can see the bond wave from some 10 ft away as it reflects the light at most angle. Not for my black SMP I have to adjust the angle and look closer to see them. It that observation true or just my imagination?

·
Registered
3,644 Posts
Wonderful pictures Comatox! I also love the waves.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts