WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
8,177 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As some of you may know, my main love is collecting the hand made Campanola series of Watches by Citizen. Every year they introduce a Limited piece at the Basel Fair.

This Watch was previewed at Basel 2007, and ships on Sept 5th. I should have mine by 9/9.

'G' 's have become of recent interest, and I'm having great fun with them. I have been collecting the Campanola's however since Citizen introduced them around 1999/2000.

They are hand made in a totally seperate facility built just for Campanola. The cases and crystals are hand made in France, the movements hand assembled and developed for the Campanola collection. All hands, indices and markers are electroformed.

Many of the dials (this is one) are done in a centuries old Japanese technique of lacquering referred to as Aizu. They have contracted with one Artist, Tetsuo Gido, to produce all of the lacquer dials in his rural studio in Japan. Aizu mixes many different material such as Gold, Seashells, etc. into the lacquer to achieve the desired result.

The subdials on this Watch are all Mother of Pearl.

To me, they are like nothing else and after all these years, still far exceed my expectations. I hope you enjoy the picture. I'll post better one's after mine arrives.

Kurt

·
Registered
2,763 Posts
That is a very nice looking watch!|>
Chris

·
Registered
1,835 Posts
Oh my, ABSOLUTELY STUNNING!!!!!!!!!!:p

WOW......................:)

·
Registered
762 Posts
I had the opportunity to view your collection of Campanolas in the August 07 WatchTime. Fabulous collection, the craftsmanship and detail hand worked into the dials by Tetso Gido is a story in itself. Anybody interested in learning more about these handcrafted works of art, I highly recommend getting a copy of WatchTime, its an amazing story.

Look forward to seeing more pictures

·
Registered
4,014 Posts
Japans artistry and history with lacquer work is unmatched by any other nation.

The Capanolas with lacquered dials are true works of art and a big step up from the dials of PP and other high-end Swisss watch makers imo.

Mitch

·
Registered
1,680 Posts
As some of you may know, my main love is collecting the hand made Campanola series of Watches by Citizen. Every year they introduce a Limited piece at the Basel Fair.

This Watch was previewed at Basel 2007, and ships on Sept 5th. I should have mine by 9/9.

'G' 's have become of recent interest, and I'm having great fun with them. I have been collecting the Campanola's however since Citizen introduced them around 1999/2000.

They are hand made in a totally seperate facility built just for Campanola. The cases and crystals are hand made in France, the movements hand assembled and developed for the Campanola collection. All hands, indices and markers are electroformed.

Many of the dials (this is one) are done in a centuries old Japanese technique of lacquering referred to as Aizu. They have contracted with one Artist, Tetsuo Gido, to produce all of the lacquer dials in his rural studio in Japan. Aizu mixes many different material such as Gold, Seashells, etc. into the lacquer to achieve the desired result.

The subdials on this Watch are all Mother of Pearl.

To me, they are like nothing else and after all these years, still far exceed my expectations. I hope you enjoy the picture. I'll post better one's after mine arrives.

Kurt

ooooooohhhh!!!!!:p

·
Registered
472 Posts
Very nice! My Citizen Moonphase Calibre 8651 is one of my favorites and probably one of the nicest I own. An awesome value for the fit and finish that these watches represent.

·
Registered
904 Posts
I love my DLC Camp:) And this article in Watch Time on the Camp maestro collector Kurt Behm, inspired me to get my first Camp.

http://www.watchbizz.com/current/contents.pdf

I'm glad I got this one and it's worth every penny. #83/300

·
Registered
29,512 Posts
It's a spectacular watch, Kurt. So spectacular, in fact, that you don't need to like it to appreciate it. ;-)

It's an awful long way from being my cup of tea, but even so, I'd love to handle it, and examine the detail and the craftsmanship. It's on a par with the most exalted Swiss brands, yet still looks distinctively Japanese.

Quite a treasure.

·
Registered
4,014 Posts
Allanvalle, together with Kurt, you have inspired me to try out DLC watches with your reports and (especially in your case) fantastics pictures.

I really liked your 'scratch' pictures on your DLC watches. Fascinating how your watches 'scratched' your various implements.

Mitch

·
Registered
8,177 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Thanks ..........

and I enjoyed the way you poetically described not having to desire something to appreciate it. I feel this way about Victorian Houses, (& Architecture) which my Realtor Wife happens to love.

I'd never want to live in one, but there is a certain majesty when you're in one, that no other style of house can duplicate.

Thanks again

Kurt

·
Registered
5,160 Posts
I didn't think they were my style either Tribe, but some of the pics I've seen of them have been stunning. Amazing pieces...really are works of art. |>

I saw in a one forum where someone posted a pic not unlike Kurt's (it was a beautiful watch), and numerous people complained that they were too expensive and they'd never spend $4000+ on a Citizen, but Swiss made was different.

I was thinking it doesn't matter where they're made...craftsmanship is craftsmanship.

·
Registered
137 Posts
Re: Thanks Guys, I appreciate all the nice comments !

Kurt,

It's David down in Boquete, Panama. I just got my Campanola Grand Complication in from Higuchi about a week ago. I got the brownish dial model with Roman numerals. To say that its everything I had hope for is an understatement. It's imply stunning. It's #351 as stamped on the back. I feel pretty sure I won't see another one here in Panama or even in Central America for that matter.

Thanks Kurt for your email too.

Best wishes,
David
Boquete, Panama

1 - 20 of 20 Posts