• I've considered wearing 2 or more watches in public

Votes: 29 6.3%
  • I wear only 1 watch in private

Votes: 143 31.2%
  • I wear 2 or more watches in private

Votes: 32 7.0%
  • I've considered wearing 2 or more watches in private

Votes: 23 5.0%
  • I smile when I see people wear 2 watches in public.

Votes: 54 11.8%
  • I've tried wearing 2 or more watches in public/private, but it wasn't for me

Votes: 7 1.5%
  • I do/would like to wear watches on my ankles. I need professional help

Votes: 8 1.7%
  • I wish I had more arms so I can wear more watches. I need professional help.

Votes: 21 4.6%
  • I need professional help, and it has nothing to do with watches.

Votes: 69 15.1%
  • I am clicking this box because the option exists.

Votes: 147 32.1%
1 - 20 of 117 Posts

·
Registered
368 Posts
You can choose more than one option. FREAKS. ;-)

Help me choose, for the vote:

When I'm working in the yard (and know I'm not gonna' bang my wrists against something hard), I'll either: 1) wear two of three Citizen Eco-Drives on each wrist if the weather's particularly sunny; or 2) an auto'-wind on each wrist if I haven't worn either for a while.
When I had more autos than I did winders (the former still not a lot; and at the time I had 0 winders anyways), I would wear my fav' model at the time and carry one auto in one front pocket of my pants and another in the other front pocket. Wearing, technically, yes, three watches at one time (time to call Ripley's?).

Heh, 'zat what you're looking for?

I don't know if this practice is necessarily in public or private. My place, private, I guess, but, can see in from the street. So, I dunno.

·
Registered
1,126 Posts
People really wear two at the same time??????

Im sorry... thats just goofy. IMO of course.

·
Registered
164 Posts
Sorry, but if I ever saw anyone, whether in private or in public, wearing more than one watch, I would immediately find them mentally suspicious.

·
Registered
815 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I'll give some background as to why I posted this poll. :)

A month or so ago, the Australian Open tennis tournament was taking place. And one of the players was Andy Roddick, whose coach is Jimmy Connors, a former world #1.

Anyway, every time I saw Connors on television, he wore 2 watches - a small, round, steel watch on his right wrist, and a small, black resin watch on his left. He looked good for his age(50's/60's?) - had a nice tan, looked like he had a facial, enjoying the trappings of success, so I guess he was making some kind of statement by wearing the 2 watches.

In the same week, I watched a weird movie called Donnie Darko, which starred Drew Barrymore(hubba bubba). In the movie, Barrymore plays an English teacher, who wore a steel watch on each wrist.

I guess seeing people wearing 2 watches in real life, and in the movies in the same week got me intrigued.

And then recently, I tried to wear 2 watches, 1 of which was a mechanical, which I didn't really want to wear(bored with it), but I didn't have a watch winder, so didn't want to have to reset the day/date. This didn't last long, because I just couldn't get used to wearing a watch on my non-watch wrist.

I think watches are meant to be worn, so anyone can wear as many watches as they like, in public or private. It's completely harmless - why admire 1 when you can admire 2? :-!

·
Registered
815 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
VERY NICE! :gold

WX1: any watch you "wear" in your pockets is considered worn in private, because no one can see it, even if you're in public. :)

If you put the watches in your pants pockets, there's not much motion to wind them, because they're too close to your centre of gravity? Do they get wound much?

·
Registered
1,317 Posts
:-d , you have not lived until you've worn two watches in public. You guys should live it up a little.

Just what are you saving up to be?

·
Registered
475 Posts
I would never think to wear 2 watches at the same time. I agree with whomever said that if they saw someone in public with 2 watches on, I would question their state of mind.

·
Registered
262 Posts
My only exception is when I go hiking I have wore a second watch. A G-Shock with a small compass clipped on the strap. This allows me to time hikes easy. Here is a pic of my hiking watch setup. Gsm

·
Registered
827 Posts
I think if you're going to wear two watches, you would then need to add a third. A calculator watch to average the two other times!:-x :-x :-x

·
Registered
1,362 Posts
I'm with you guys who would suspect a two watch wearer may be in need of therapy. :roll: However, there may be a profession out there that requires the wearing of two watches one of which is a backup.

Best regards
Andy

·
Registered
13,407 Posts
I suspect, though I have no clue why, Connors may have been wearing a 2nd. watch for some reason related to some timekeeping function in coaching Roddick?

·
Breitling Forum Moderator
9,132 Posts
I can understand why Conners might wear two watches. He is very much the globe trotting celebrity. If he had network commitments back in the US and was marking the time/date difference so he could be on time for his cross to air this is an effective way of keeping confusion to a minimum. Hmm local time on the left, New York time on the right, makes sense to me.

·
Registered
815 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
There seems to be a growing number of comments inferring that people who wear multiple watches having some sort of mental illness.

It's not right to have a poll whereby some participants accuse others of mental illness for choosing different options.

·
Registered
164 Posts
There seems to be a growing number of comments inferring that people who wear multiple watches having some sort of mental illness.

It's not right to have a poll whereby some participants accuse others of mental illness for choosing different options.
Uh, 3 of the poll options associate the possible need for 'professional help' with wearing more than one watch...

The whole thing is kind of funny because all of us probably need a head-check just for spending so much time thinking about watches.

·
Registered
725 Posts
As has been discussed in the Omega forum from time to time, there are also plenty of pictures from the early US space program in which astronauts are seen wearing a watch on each wrist. At the time, when fewer watches had all the cool complications we insist on nowadays (or at least, few watches that could pass NASA's testing program), it was probably the most expedient way to a) ensure that there was a backup watch available, and b) use a second time zone (although I'm not exactly sure why they would need that, but I didn't go on any of the missions:-(). For what it's worth...

And as for the mental imbalance thing, I am accused regularly by the Missus of being imbalanced just for having more than one watch!

·
Registered
815 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Uh, 3 of the poll options associate the possible need for 'professional help' with wearing more than one watch...

The whole thing is kind of funny because all of us probably need a head-check just for spending so much time thinking about watches.
It's all cool. :)

Probably needless worry on my part about people being offended. |>

·
Registered
698 Posts
I always wear 2 watches (one on each wrist) when I'm travelling far from home like now: one for local time and one for hometime.
I prefer not to wear any of my GMTs because of thefts (easy in some areas where I use to travel).
Also, at home, sometimes I use to wear 2 watches after having synchronized them for checking their accuracy when one or both of them comes back from maintenance.
Normally I wear only one watch per day (sometimes different day by day).
Do I am insane? :-s

·
Registered
164 Posts
I always wear 2 watches (one on each wrist) when I'm travelling far from home like now: one for local time and one for hometime.
I prefer not to wear any of my GMTs because of thefts (easy in some areas where I use to travel).
Also, at home, sometimes I use to wear 2 watches after having synchronized them for checking their accuracy when one or both of them comes back from maintenance.
Normally I wear only one watch per day (sometimes different day by day).
Do I am insane? :-s
Yes, you are insane. Join the club.

Regarding the GMT thing, I've thought about buying a mid price GMT just for travelling, although I have not done it yet. The good thing, at least I hope, about thieves is that there are so man inexpensive watches that look expensive, which hopefully means muggers no longer automatically associate an attractive watch with being expensive. Luckily for me, I rarely dress well, so they would probably assume it's a fake!

1 - 20 of 117 Posts