WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm taking a work related trip to NYC for a week and must fly. How paranoid is everyone else in wearing their nice watches to the airport and having to trust that no one swipes them out of those stupid baskets?

Also, I've been trying to work out a lot more recently and do not want to leave my watch in the hotel room while I'm at the gym... Am i being stupid or would anyone else just leave their watch at home?

·
Registered
3,889 Posts
i take off my watch at the airport, put it in a travel watch case, bury everything valuable deep in my backpack and keep a close watch on it when i walk though the scanner. i try to avoid drama with the tsa. never ever put my valuables in the small basket.

at the hotel, i put my watch in the safe box in the room. not sure how really safe it is, but never had anything stolen.

·
Registered
89 Posts
I do like brrdn, the watch and other valuables come off ahead of time and go deep in the bag. I don't ever use the small baskets, unless for some spare change. If you're worried about losing the watch, how about insuring it? My cost is very low annually to insure.

·
Registered
2,932 Posts
My old Tag would never beep at airport security, first time through with the PO and I got the wand! Not to mention the Ploprof, I put that one in my Oakley Large Vault watch case and zipped in the pocket of my jacket for security checks.

·
Registered
14,860 Posts
The last time I flew was a little over a year ago to Las Vegas for a week's vacation. Did I take my nicest watch? Hell no! I've worked security for the past 5 years before finally getting fed up with all the nonsense, B.S., and sheer . . . Well; best way to describe the vast majority of security guards I've met is children in adult bodies. Men and yes even a few women who never grew the Hell up in all the areas that actually count.

There are scammers out there who will distract you just long enough to swipe your watch out of the basket. And some of those individuals are the ones standing next to those little baskets in their TSA uniforms. When I flew to Vegas, I took my least expensive reliable watch, my Timex Expedition.

Never leave anything expensive in your hotel room. Despite those "Do not disturb" signs, maids often do come in. If you're there, they'll apologize profusely for not having noticed the sign. If you're not inside, or don't bother to put the sign on the door knob; they just walk in. Stop and think about that for a minute . . . A total stranger has access to your room and everything in it. Sure, some maids are indeed honest and hard-working. But even for one of those, how tempting is it going to be when she notices your expensive watch? A watch that perhaps costs more money than she sees in a couple of months or even longer. Why put that temptation out there?

I recommend spending the week in NYC with an inexpensive beater.

·
Registered
2,823 Posts
I never worry about it. Then again, I tend to dress like I don't have a pot to piss in. Based on the way I dress, most people probably assume whatever I'm wearing is fake.

·
Registered
19,860 Posts
Don't be too paranoiac, just put the watch face-down in the basket and your basket should pass the scanner at the same time with you.

·
Registered
18 Posts
I tend to put everything in my bag: belt, keys, phone, watch, during the x-ray scans and it just makes everything a bit easier going through those checkpoints. Push the bag through, walk through metal detector, pick up bag and head over to the gate.

The days I go to the gym, I wear my heart rate monitor watch so no fancy watch on me or in the locker room.

·
Registered
14,860 Posts
Don't be too paranoiac, just put the watch face-down in the basket and your basket should pass the scanner at the same time with you.
Not if some idiot in front of you forget to empty all of his spare change into his basket before walking through. Now your basket is headed on it's way while the moron in front of you is just standing there and digging into all his pockets for the scrap of metal he forgot about.

·
Registered
19,860 Posts
Not if some idiot in front of you forget to empty all of his spare change into his basket before walking through. Now your basket is headed on it's way while the moron in front of you is just standing there and digging into all his pockets for the scrap of metal he forgot about.

That's an isolated scenario, once you passed the scanner you entered in a restricted area with fewer people and surveillance cameras from different angles, if you realized that your multi thousand dollars watch disappeared you should immediately ask for assistance from security officers, the "idiot" who grabbed your watch should still be there.

That said, chance to have a thief who intentionally infiltrated the airport to steal people is extremely low.

·
Registered
912 Posts
If it helps, I wear my 42mm PO through security regularly. Not once has it set off any bells (which concerns me a little actually...).

·
Registered
14,860 Posts
No, it's not about a crook intentionally getting a job at the airport to steal from people. Those who apply for security guard positions are not from the best stock. Or even remotely so. I've worked security at a variety of client sites for 5 years. The number of decent, hard-working, and professional individuals I've worked with, you could count them on one hand and still have fingers left over. If one of them sees an opportunity, all of a sudden your watch is gone.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Dont worry about it. Why should someone steal your watch at the airport with all the cameras and security? There is a much higher chance getting robbed walking down any street.

·
Registered
9,705 Posts
I'm taking a work related trip to NYC for a week and must fly. How paranoid is everyone else in wearing their nice watches to the airport and having to trust that no one swipes them out of those stupid baskets?

Also, I've been trying to work out a lot more recently and do not want to leave my watch in the hotel room while I'm at the gym... Am i being stupid or would anyone else just leave their watch at home?
Do you have travel insurance? If yes, take photos of your valuables (inc. watch) and then away you go.

Just don't put the watch into the x-ray baskets. I wear mine through the detector. Last trip it set the detector off once. The security guard asked me to take it off and I asked if I can leave it on due to the expense. He then just used the hand-held scanner on me, and asked to look at my watch ;-).

Most decent hotels have a safe. Leave it in there if you don't with to wear it to the gym. But it all depends on the hotel too. If its a world class 5 star I would have not hesitation. If its some run-of-the-mill 3 star... maybe I'd keep it on me.

My preferred travel watch is the SMP quartz. The quick set hours allow fast adjusting to the timezones. I also don't have any hesitation wearing it to a hotel gym, pool, spa, sauna etc.

·
Registered
9,705 Posts
That said, chance to have a thief who intentionally infiltrated the airport to steal people is extremely low.
When my wife had $4000 and passport stolen in the terminal we didn't get much help (this was not at the security check in). At the same time, I am not paranoid about my watch being stolen.

ps
And don't ask why she was carrying so much cash :roll:

·
Registered
520 Posts
When I recently went up to Toronto, I put my sneakers in the basket, then put my PO in my sneaker and tied my shoe lace around the bracelet. I figured it would be enough to prevent a quick snatch of the watch. And obviously, I kept an eye on the basket..

·
Registered
178 Posts
I travel to Europe a few times a year and always bring my Rolex GMT ,never have thay made me take it off.

·
Registered
6,841 Posts
If it helps, I wear my 42mm PO through security regularly. Not once has it set off any bells (which concerns me a little actually...).
I travel a lot. And I do the same with my 45.5 never take it off. But I always have a travel case in my bag just in case.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts