WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I've been wearing my Khaki auto (older 40hr PR movement) for about 2-3 weeks continuously. Not the entire time, but it has not died once from lack of power. It has been my consistent daily wearer to work and most activities. Normally I check accuracy once or twice a day via CPU or phone reference. This watch has been almost COSC spec once it settles down. Meaning if I run it out of power, and start it back up, it will usually lose 8-10 sec the first couple of days. After that it stays at 6-8sec for rest of duration of wear.

On to the weird part.

Last month during the same type of wear sequence I noticed mid-day it was off by 10 minutes. This was after I had checked it in the morning and saw it was about 6sec slow but perfectly in tune. I chalked that up to myself mis-seeing the time on the first check.

Today, I get to work around 7am. Check time briefly from my CPU and it's -8sec. It has been -8sec for about 2 weeks. Now I look at it and it's 10min slow AND the date is +1 (21st). WTH?!!!

I sit at a desk during the day. I feel sure the crown has not clicked out. Otherwise, I have no idea why this happened, or how really? How could the date have gotten off too?

My question is....is there really any way possible the movement could have done something that funky in a 4hr window to advance the date and stop the time (for 10min)? Any theories are welcome. Maybe I'm just going crazy. Like I said, I check time reference multiple times a day, and this watch has been excellent for almost a month.

·
Premium Member
8,399 Posts
My first inclination would be that the watch needs to be fully serviced - if it has not been done so in the last four or five years. And, if I was to take an educated guess, in all probability the lubricants are drying up and chunking together causing one or more wheel gears to slip.

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
My first inclination would be that the watch needs to be fully serviced - if it has not been done so in the last four or five years. And, if I was to take an educated guess, in all probability the lubricants are drying up and chunking together causing one or more wheel gears to slip.
Kind of hard to believe. It's only 2 years old.

·
Premium Member
8,399 Posts
I was offering one suggestion as to the inconsistency of your Hamilton keeping time. I would suggest that you have it professionally serviced by the Swatch Group Service Center, since your movement is an H movement and not an ETA movement. Below is a link to a web article on another reason you may want to consider as to why the watch may be running fast or slow:

https://www.montredo.com/en/watch-magazine/watch-running-fast-or-slow/

Note: My Hamilton Khaki Field day and date watch was bought one year ago. However, the “H” cutout on the H-30 rotor is of the old style. As such, I would have to assume and take into consideration that my watch’s movement and its lubricants are more than just one year old.

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I was offering one suggestion as to the inconsistency of your Hamilton keeping time. I would suggest that you have it professionally serviced by the Swatch Group Service Center, since your movement is an H movement and not an ETA movement. Below is a link to a web article on another reason you may want to consider as to why the watch may be running fast or slow:

https://www.montredo.com/en/watch-magazine/watch-running-fast-or-slow/

Note: My Hamilton Khaki Field day and date watch was bought one year ago. However, the “H” cutout on the H-30 rotor is of the old style. As such, I would have to assume and take into consideration that my watch’s movement and its lubricants are more than just one year old.
I thought the H movements had the increased PR? Pretty sure my watch is the older ETA 40hr PR.

No offense but that article is pretty run of the mill. My watch does not gain or lose time when it's running properly. This random stoppage is not a normal gain or losing time issue. 99% of the time this watch is COSC spec.

·
Moderator Public Forum
23,331 Posts
The motion works have a sort of clutch that allows the hands to be moved. If that becomes loose then the watch will lose time while the movement ticks along normally. Might be worth having a watch repair shop check it out.

·
Premium Member
8,399 Posts
Who services Hamiltons?
Since you live in Canada, Swatch Group Canada‎ has two service centres. One in Toronto and the other in Montréal.

If you bought your Hamilton thru an Authorized Dealer, drop off your Hamilton at the dealer and they will send it off to one of these two Swatch service centres.

For your info, below are links pertaining to these two service centres:

https://www.swatch.com/en_ca/services/service-centers/
https://www.jewellerybusiness.com/news/swatch-group-opens-service-centre-in-montreal/

·
Premium Member
8,399 Posts
OK. Can someone like Time & Gold in Vancouver do it? They can do Omega as an authorized service centre.
If the movement is an ETA movement (e.g. 2842-2, 2836-2, etc.), I don’t see why not. However, and it is my understanding, with Hamilton’s new ‘H movements’ (e.g. H-10, H-30, etc.), the movements can only be served by one of their Swatch Group Service Center technicians.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts