WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm trying to understand the setting instructions for the Botta Uno Titan. It's not a 24-hour watch, but a 12 hour watch with a single hand. The instructions say to set the time 5 minutes ahead. Does this mean that the watch will take *exactly* 5 minutes to then engage and start from that point? Or is it only 4 or 5 or 6 minutes?

I thought this would be a great watch for me, given that I understand the imprecision in my reading the time from the dial -- although I think I see how that can be within about 2 minutes if I'm sharp.

But that would require that I can actually set the watch to the correct time -- to me, meaning that when the hand is exactly on the hour, it is indeed that time (again, within my error in reading the dial -- but on-the-hour, that can be as low as +/- 20 seconds for a lined-up hand).

I thought I might like to buy this, but now I'm wondering whether it's just a really cheap movement with so much slop that it can't even be lined up to be correct on the hour. For a $400 quartz watch, that's a turn-off to me. Hope that's not the case...

Here's Botta's link:

https://www.botta-design.de/en/uhrenmodelle/uno/uno-titan-weiss-quarz/a-153/

Thanks!

·
Registered
485 Posts
I can't see where it mentions 5 minutes. But all watches have slop when you're setting them. My guess is you might have to do it a couple of times to get it just right, but being quartz, once you've got it, you could leave it for 6 months.

Sent from my SM-N960F using Tapatalk

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Dennis Botta has a video describing how to set the watch:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E7mMNZ-2-oI

Mr. Botta's explanation is in German, but there is a running English translation overlaid on the screen. Here's the bit that caught my eye: "To compensate for any potential hand play, set the time 5 minutes ahead of the current time. As shown in the example, set the time to 1:30pm although it is 1:25pm."

Then he reminds you to push the crown in all the way, which he does. Now this is a quartz watch. I'm wondering if it's designed to sense the hand position and sync the movement in 5 minutes. Or maybe I'd have to try half a dozen times, waiting 5 minutes each time, until I got a good approximation. What am I missing?

·
Registered
485 Posts
Then he reminds you to push the crown in all the way, which he does. Now this is a quartz watch. I'm wondering if it's designed to sense the hand position and sync the movement in 5 minutes.
Nah. Only very sophisticated movements can sense hand position. This is not going to be that.
Or maybe I'd have to try half a dozen times, waiting 5 minutes each time, until I got a good approximation. What am I missing?
Yup

Sent from my SM-N960F using Tapatalk

·
Registered
3,125 Posts
I've owned a couple of Bottas. Setting them is a little frustrating, as it does take a few times to get it right. Good thing these one-handers are only within 2-3 minutes by nature anyway.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts