WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Premium Member
20,651 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
As most of you know, WatchUSeek has grown to be the world's largest watch forum with more topics, traffic, and members than any other. With this position has come the responsibility of assisting the good efforts of others to further our whole community of watch lovers and collectors.

One of the other members of this community is the National Association of Watch and Clock Collectors. Headquartered in Columbia Pennsylvania USA (a suburb of Lancaster where Hamilton was founded) the NAWCC has the world's leading collection of clocks and pocket watches and the world's best horological library and archives.

In their own words,the NAWCC's mission is to advance the art and science of horology (timekeeping). The NAWCC actively serves the public and supports NAWCC members by providing educational opportunities, encouraging preservation, facilitating research, publishing horological works, providing online venues for information exchange, and sponsoring events. The National Watch and Clock Museum and the NAWCC Library preserve a diverse collection of timekeeping artifacts, books, and archival materials. The NAWCC's U.S. and International Chapters also host educational events and exhibits relating to horology. Since 1943 this non-profit organization has grown from 52 Charter Members to an international organization with more than 15,000 members and over 100 Chapters.

To support the NAWCC WUS has created a NAWCC discussion forum. It will host announcements, discussions, and hopefully provide exposure of the good works of the NAWCC to a wider audience. Join us in welcoming the NAWCC to the WUS community and please consider joining the NAWCC and supporting their efforts to further the science of horology.

Ernie Romers, site owner
Eeeb, moderator
Ben_hutcherson, moderator

·
Vintage & NAWCC Forum moderator
2,429 Posts
Thank you to Ernie, Jim, and Markus Harris for making all of this happen!

Reactions: Ernie Romers

·
Registered
265 Posts
Awesome. Drive past Columbia everyday for work and never have stopped at the Clock museum. I need to do so.

·
Moderator Public Forum
2,879 Posts
Phenomenal! I have visited the Museum and RGM a couple of times.

·
Registered
13,447 Posts
Thanks to your great spirit Ernie and Jim's great efforts
Thanks
Adam

·
Registered
13,447 Posts
Awesome. Drive past Columbia everyday for work and never have stopped at the Clock museum. I need to do so.
I am here another week, pop in and I will show your rond
Regards
adam

·
11,544 Posts
Nice to have a forum here for the NAWCC, been to the museum a few times, been a member for 3 or 4 years now.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Excellent addition to this site. I have been a NAWCC member since 02/01/1986.
I'm curious -- other than supporting a watch collecting community, what are the benefits of NAWCC membership? Sounds interesting, but wondering what practical value members get from the group.
Thanks!

·
Registered
18,166 Posts
I'm curious -- other than supporting a watch collecting community, what are the benefits of NAWCC membership? Sounds interesting, but wondering what practical value members get from the group.
Thanks!
You get free admission to the museum... I know that might not sound like much until you realize the museum is part of a national museum organization that grants you free admission to well more than a hundred other museums.

There are a number of online resources that I have not fully explored as I have, here to fore, known little about them. But last night I was able to watch a video of a presentation by a collector of Columbus Watch Company pocket watches. It was made at a symposia I believe and is an amazing source of information I never knew. I probably have invested a thousand dollars in my small collection and it increased my appreciation greatly!

You get automatic membership in a local chapter. Chapters are scattered about the world (but mostly concentrated in the US). I have been to a few but Ben knows a lot more than I do about this but they have meetups with tables of members selling watches and other things (mostly clock parts!) to each other (and maybe the public too but I never saw much 'public'...) To me they were useful for buying some interesting vintage wristwatches. The ability to have an 'in hand' examination of a timepiece is a major plus. eBay only goes so far...

They publish a Journal which is currently in Volume 55. It is a nicely laid out magazine... we'll have to showcase some issues! I immediately place my copy next to the throne or to the PC for reading through out the month. It always has at least one article that is interesting to my collecting tastes. And it carries a great deal of information about coming meetups and symposia.

They have national symposia with associated giant flea markets and considered presentations by 'real experts' who are genuinely real. Maybe we can get Markus (their communications director) or Steve (their executive director) to talk about them. They just had one last week at Cal Tech!! (I should have gone... I've never been to Cal Tech not being smart enough in math or physics to get in... I've always suffered from Cal Tech envy LOL)

Others should feel free to chime in! (... grin ... The NAWCC HQ has a really wonderful bell tower which chimes with a Westminster tune. It even has big windows to show off the strike mechanism. Ooooohhhh it is sexy!)

131506427.kMc0z5dX._E5584_ClockTower.jpg

·
Vintage & NAWCC Forum moderator
2,429 Posts
To build on what Jim said, here are some other benefits:

1. Access to all NAWCC online resources. These include the videos he mentioned, as well as the full archive of the NAWCC Bullletin, and other resources useful to collectors of specific items(such as the hand-written finishing room records for the Hamilton Watch Company).

2. Access to the Library and Research Center. Even if not physically able to visit the LARC, the staff will perform research for NAWCC members at no charge(non-members pay a minimum of $20 per request for this service). Most volumes in the Library are available for check-out to members for the cost of shipping.

3. Jim hinted at this, but one of the biggest benefits for me is full access to chapter, regional, and national meetings. At regional and national meetings in particular, you will have the opportunity to buy, sell, and look at watches and clocks that you simply won't see anywhere else. These have been, in the past, clock heavy but the larger regionals and the nationals always have several vendors dealing exclusively or almost exclusively in wristwatches. Probably the best advantage of these is the ability to visit with and have "show and tell" with fellow collectors sharing similar interests. I'm working on a summary of all of these that I hope I will be able to publish in the next few days.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Thanks!
That's a pretty long list, actually. But here it is in a nutshell:

NAWCC members receive full access to our members-only online content, including the complete Watch & Clock Bulletin magazine archive (dating back to 1943) and searchable index; special-publication archives; online educational videos; and use of our 4Sale$NAWCC online classified and auction facility.

A subscription and full online access to our bi-monthly Watch & Clock Bulletin (an educational journal), and the Mart & Highlights, our member-to-member buy/sell classified publication.

Research (in person or via email) and borrowing privileges at the Library and Research Center (the world’s largest collection of horological literature).

Full attendance privileges at Regional meetings, National Conventions, and Symposiums. Chapter membership in local and special interest chapters, nationwide workshops, educational seminars, and online webinars.

Free admission to the National Watch & Clock Museum in Columbia, PA, a discount at the NAWCC Museum Store, discounted membership rates for Associate/Family Members, discounted fees for weekend and special workshops in Columbia, PA, and discounted subscription rates on select horological publications: Clocks Magazine, Watch Journal, and iW Magazine (International Watch).

Free Museum Admissions to other museums and cultural centers in the ASTC program; Member Insurance options; WATCHFACTS; healthcare services; free use of the The Art Loss Register to protect your collection; access to Collections Inventory Software; and discounts on car rentals and other services with your NAWCC member card.

Online resources available for member use include access to digital files of every issue of Keystone Magazine published from 1889 to 1912, the scanned ledgers of the Seth Thomas Tower Clock Company (1873 to 1941), a digital Video Archive with over 100 videos from the library's multimedia collection, the Smithsonian Institution and National Museum of American History Archives digitized clock records of the E. Howard Company, the digitized Hamilton Ledgers Database and Ephemera (catalogs, pricelists, and finishing department records), as well as Timely Topics, Hamilton's archived employee watch publications from the early 1940s to 1960s.

That also includes Multiple book-length NAWCC exclusive publications, The Railroaders' Corner Archive about timekeeping on American railroads, Engle Clock and Presidential Watch Videos, and an ever-expanding digital database of watch & clock records-- invaluable to serious historians and vintage collectors.

We also provide an NAWCC Business Member Directory, WatchDig (our new NAWCC watch blog and database), our own Message Board facility for horological discussions, and Horology: the Index (the most extensive collection of horological links on the internet).

There are a lot of research tools and member benefits that come with an NAWCC membership, and we're constantly expanding those.

You can visit our main website at Welcome to the NAWCC! and take a look. We just updated it and are still troubleshooting the new design, but everything is there.

Cheers!

Markus

·
Registered
30 Posts
Thank you to Ernie, Jim, and Markus Harris for making all of this happen!
I'd also like to personally extend a special thanks to Adam Harris, without whose help and perseverance none of this would have happened. Adam is a great friend to the NAWCC, and was a huge supporter of this idea from the get-go.

So thanks, Adam (and Jim and Ernie and everyone else involved)!

Cheers,

Markus

·
Registered
18,166 Posts
I'd also like to personally extend a special thanks to Adam Harris, without whose help and perseverance none of this would have happened. Adam is a great friend to the NAWCC, and was a huge supporter of this idea from the get-go.

So thanks, Adam (and Jim and Ernie and everyone else involved)!

Cheers,
Markus
It was Adam who inspired me to try this. He is working with Carter Harris to curate the first permanent exhibit in the Museum on the history of wristwatches. (I will copy over the threads into this forum shortly.) He is a great example of what Scotland does so well - build wonderful people!!

But I do want to know how Carter, Adam, and Markus Harris are all related? (LOL, I don't think they are...)

Reactions: Markus Harris

·
Registered
18,166 Posts
Is PriceIsRight a friend who fed you this question so we could get this great answer?? :-s

·
Registered
2 Posts
I have not visited Watchuseek in several years and the last post above this one is from 2013.

The NAWCC has recently put significant into developing our main web site and is about to release a new version of our Community Forums base on the XenForo V2 as this site is. We have been operating on XenForo V1.5 since 2017.

I am glad to see participation here of so many of our members. I hope they will be able to contribute to the growth of our forums also.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts