WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
2,929 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well guys, it's been quite a watch year for me. First my Hamilton Ventura, then my Omega Marine Chronometer. Now, I'm closing out the year with a bang. I found and purchased a used Rolex Oysterquartz that's in excellent shape. The pic below is from the seller.

Many of you probably remember that our first moderator, GMF, had a close to identical model. I had always admired the look of his. One of the few near perfect designs from the seventies, IMO. Of course, it's also an interesting bit of tech history. For a minute, I thought this might be the identical one, as the serial numbers started out the same (A693xxx). However, his had lume and mine does not. (Frankly, I think it's nicer without, as it fits better with the dressy feel it has.)

In pictures, this watch looks a bit bulky. In the metal, though, it's surprisingly svelte. This is in part due to its small size. It's 36 mm across, not including the crown, which is the perfect size for me. While I think that most would consider the OQ a sports watch, to me, with the white dial and romans, it's a very nice dress watch.

So, as I said, quite a year. I'm sure next year will be more muted. It's been fun picking up these icons, though.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
444 Posts
congrats Bruce, looks great! a late model OQ like that should last forever. makes me wonder if there are any NOS anywhere in the world anymore. I've heard stories about people finding them as late as last year ...

·
Banned
3,654 Posts
Congratulations, Bruce!:-!
A lovely dress watch with unique thermocompensation scheme! (Yes, the roman numerals make that watch so elegant!)
Now, you have the winning trifecta:
- The Citizen
- Omega 2400 Marine Chronometer
- Rolex OysterQuartz
Well done, Sir!:gold

·
Registered
2,929 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Now, you have the winning trifecta:
- The Citizen
- Omega 2400 Marine Chronometer
- Rolex OysterQuartz
Well done, Sir!:gold
Thanks George! Dare I dream about getting a Crystron Mega someday? I scan eBay hopefully for some poor soul who might put one on without realizing what it is. Still, that one's probably just a pipe dream. Yes, I'm very happy with these. :)

·
Registered
2,929 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
congrats Bruce, looks great! a late model OQ like that should last forever. makes me wonder if there are any NOS anywhere in the world anymore. I've heard stories about people finding them as late as last year ...
Thanks, dirk! (If I may call you that. :-D ) I've even heard someone say that they got a new one at a jewelers early this year. I suspect there are still some out there. The challenge is finding them.

·
Banned
3,654 Posts
...Dare I dream about getting a Crystron Mega someday? I scan eBay hopefully for some poor soul who might put one on without realizing what it is...
Yep, that one and the Junghans 4MHz would be extremely hard to find. Somehow it is a bit sad that the few people who might own these watches probably don't even know the significance of these timepieces. I wish someone in our great forum could find one of these 4MHz "monsters".:)

·
Registered
283 Posts
Congratulations - that's quite a catch...

The OQ is a neat looker. It's good t see a burgeoning quality quartz family. :-!

·
Banned
3,654 Posts
Thanks for that information. It is unfortunate that I have never seen one live or for sale.
Yes, and it is unfortunate that both Citizen and Junghans released very limited series of their 4MHz watches and both refused to release reissues of those models. Since both companies familiar with the 4MHz movements I would welcome the release of a new super watch featuring 4MHz oscillator and "inhibition" type of thermocompensation coupled with perpetual calendar, 100m WR and long lasting (at least 3 years) lithium battery to power it. Also at least one serie should be available for high-accuracy fanatics who can't afford to pay for gold or platinium but want to enjoy a superb timepiece. So make the case and bracelet from SS or titanium and market the watch for no more than $3000. Offer an accuracy of +/-2 seconds per year. A watch like that would be a bestseller.

·
HAQ and AW moderator
7,648 Posts
Sure I would pay for a watch like that. if we are asking for that much, how about a digital display version in a precious metal case.

·
Registered
126 Posts
Once again, congratulations ! And good luck for the future - I doubt you'll find a Crystron Mega on eBay, but you never know ! For myself, the one I hold out a slim hope of finding (and more importantly, affording !) one day is the Rolex Quartz Date, Rolex's very early Beta-21 based quartz watch. Still, we can dream, I suppose !

·
Registered
9 Posts
Geezo, I'm jealous.....! :-!

Well guys, it's been quite a watch year for me. First my Hamilton Ventura, then my Omega Marine Chronometer. Now, I'm closing out the year with a bang. I found and purchased a used Rolex Oysterquartz that's in excellent shape. The pic below is from the seller.

·
Registered
2,929 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I would welcome the release of a new super watch featuring 4MHz oscillator and "inhibition" type of thermocompensation coupled with perpetual calendar, 100m WR and long lasting (at least 3 years) lithium battery to power it. Also at least one serie should be available for high-accuracy fanatics who can't afford to pay for gold or platinium but want to enjoy a superb timepiece. So make the case and bracelet from SS or titanium and market the watch for no more than $3000. Offer an accuracy of +/-2 seconds per year. A watch like that would be a bestseller.
Yep. To all 23 of us accuracy fanatics. :-D Seriously, that would be a watch to contend with.

·
Registered
2,929 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Once again, congratulations ! And good luck for the future - I doubt you'll find a Crystron Mega on eBay, but you never know ! For myself, the one I hold out a slim hope of finding (and more importantly, affording !) one day is the Rolex Quartz Date, Rolex's very early Beta-21 based quartz watch. Still, we can dream, I suppose !
Thanks KZZN! I've seen the beta 21 on eBay. It was not cheap!

1 - 20 of 21 Posts