WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
734 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Fellow WUSers,
I've always liked the aesthetic of Panerai but felt their 44mm+ offerings were simply too large for me. I typically prefer 40-42mm pieces, however, after picking up my first Panerai, a PAM564, I quickly fell in love with the brand and picked up two more Panerai in a matter of weeks. Quick overview below of my pieces.
PAM 564: Titanium, hand wound, 8-Day Reserve. I love the lightweight of the titanium and the 564 wears a tad thinner than most Panerai. Looks great on a leather strap and I've really enjoyed it on the Rubber B strap lately. Perfect summer watch with the Rubber B strap, lightweight and has a classic rugged look.
PAM 24: Unique look, I always thought this piece would look a little cartoonish on my wrist but it turns out I have really enjoyed wearing it and think my 7" wrist pulls it off. Played around with strap options, also looks great on the Rubber B and just about any leather strap you can throw on it. Has a vintage feel and aesthetic that I really like. I've found myself wearing it more than my Rolex Sub (I know...Blasphemy)
PAM 658: 1940’s Radiomir GMT. I’m in love with this watch, its 45mm but wears smaller in my opinion. The vertical lines on the dial and cream colored indices and numbers just really pop. It has to be seen in person to appreciate, pictures just don’t do it justice. It does a fantastic job of walking the line between feeling dressy and sporty. I picked up a gator strap and cordovan strap for it, looks great on everything but especially honey colored straps that play off the creamy text of the dial. I pulled the trigger on this one without ever seeing it in person and was nervous I wouldn't connect with it. I've tried dressy/sporty pieces before that ended up doing neither very well and inhabited no-mans land, not quite dressy enough or casual enough. However, this watch feels at home on a casual night out as well as during a work day.

A few pictures below of my growing Panerai collection (Hairy Arm Alert)… Thanks for looking.
Unknown-28.jpeg
Unknown-23.jpeg
Unknown-24.jpeg
Unknown-19.jpeg
Unknown-22.jpeg
Unknown-21.jpeg
Unknown-26.jpeg

Attachments

·
Registered
454 Posts
Very nice. The same thing happened to me. I went from one to 4 in a very short period of time. And now there is another on my list.

I'm thinking of dumping the Rolex Sea Dweller to make it happen.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
6,799 Posts
GMT 658 is so nice....a more busy dial than I really am into right now, but I would make the exception here!...dial is very nice.

my modus operandi is to lust after one, then get another in quick succession.....in my case was the vernable 000, followed by a ceramic 292.

and straps, oh boy, let's not go there.....

well let's - I have 4 bags of straps....20mm, 22mm, 24mm and 26mm.

we will play with an average price of say, hmmmm, $50?....... Some are mere Natos, some exotic (snake, stingray, Kuda, etc)......ranging anywhere from $12 up to $180 for the Kudo (prices are CAN$) so probably have a Seiko Darths worth of straps!

now i am depressed...

wait, I have new purchase arriving next week.....oooooo....now I feel better!

1st world problems are a b_t_h!

·
Registered
734 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Yea, it's funny how our tastes change. I tend not to own more than one or two of the same brand because I like to spread my collection out and experience different brands. Never thought I would own 3 Panerai and have my eye on a few more...

Very nice. The same thing happened to me. I went from one to 4 in a very short period of time. And now there is another on my list.

I'm thinking of dumping the Rolex Sea Dweller to make it happen.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

·
Registered
734 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I was concerned that it may feel busy as well, that's the main reason I didn't pick up the hobnail 628.. Wrestled with that one for a few weeks but glad I settled on the vertical lines of the 658. If it were a 42-43mm it would feel busier but the 45mm gives the dial plenty of space to comfortably accommodate all the different elements. Would love to see the 628 hobnail dial in person and see how it compares.

Same here with the straps, I think I've bought 10 straps in the last month... That's one of the beautiful things about Panerai, you change the strap out and it's almost like having a completely different watch... I've worn my 24 on canvas, leather, rubber, and alligator and each time it really changed the overall aesthetic.

GMT 658 is so nice....a more busy dial than I really am into right now, but I would make the exception here!...dial is very nice.

my modus operandi is to lust after one, then get another in quick succession.....in my case was the vernable 000, followed by a ceramic 292.

and straps, oh boy, let's not go there.....

well let's - I have 4 bags of straps....20mm, 22mm, 24mm and 26mm.

we will play with an average price of say, hmmmm, $50?....... Some are mere Natos, some exotic (snake, stingray, Kuda, etc)......ranging anywhere from $12 up to $180 for the Kudo (prices are CAN$) so probably have a Seiko Darths worth of straps!

now i am depressed...

wait, I have new purchase arriving next week.....oooooo....now I feel better!

1st world problems are a b_t_h!

·
Registered
9,281 Posts
see. all you have to do is to try it on and give it a chance to grow on you.
i'm sure it happened to all of us when we first saw the Panerai Luminor Case.. "oh too Big" . then shortly after the watch becomes part of you.

congratulations. they all look Great on your wrist.. wear'em in good health.

·
Registered
734 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks! It took some getting use to at first. I kind of worked my way up with a few other 44mm pieces. At first, the Panerai felt big but after a few days I hardly noticed the size anymore. Now, my 42mm and smaller pieces feel small... Wish I would have given them a chance sooner but better late than never.
see. all you have to do is to try it on and give it a chance to grow on you.
i'm sure it happened to all of us when we first saw the Panerai Luminor Case.. "oh too Big" . then shortly after the watch becomes part of you.

congratulations. they all look Great on your wrist.. wear'em in good health.

·
Registered
29,777 Posts
Great collection!!

And now you need a base dial ;))

·
Registered
559 Posts
I think 3 watches is nice number for collection....

·
Registered
9,281 Posts
Thanks! It took some getting use to at first. I kind of worked my way up with a few other 44mm pieces. At first, the Panerai felt big but after a few days I hardly noticed the size anymore. Now, my 42mm and smaller pieces feel small... Wish I would have given them a chance sooner but better late than never.

believe me i had the same experience and confusion with larger diameter watches back when i was into Rolexes.
i first tried the 44mm and felt it was huge. so ended up buying a 40mm (i believe it was PAM159) then a year later swapped that with a 44mm.
and now all i wear is 47mms :) .. and of course everything smaller than that will feel odd on my wrist.
i guess larger watches can ruin your collection .

Reactions: Synequano

·
Registered
559 Posts
its took me 10 yrs but I finally got there......
IMG_6782.JPG

·
Registered
203 Posts
Fellow WUSers,
I've always liked the aesthetic of Panerai but felt their 44mm+ offerings were simply too large for me. I typically prefer 40-42mm pieces, however, after picking up my first Panerai, a PAM564, I quickly fell in love with the brand and picked up two more Panerai in a matter of weeks. Quick overview below of my pieces.
PAM 564: Titanium, hand wound, 8-Day Reserve. I love the lightweight of the titanium and the 564 wears a tad thinner than most Panerai. Looks great on a leather strap and I've really enjoyed it on the Rubber B strap lately. Perfect summer watch with the Rubber B strap, lightweight and has a classic rugged look.
PAM 24: Unique look, I always thought this piece would look a little cartoonish on my wrist but it turns out I have really enjoyed wearing it and think my 7" wrist pulls it off. Played around with strap options, also looks great on the Rubber B and just about any leather strap you can throw on it. Has a vintage feel and aesthetic that I really like. I've found myself wearing it more than my Rolex Sub (I know...Blasphemy)
PAM 658: 1940’s Radiomir GMT. I’m in love with this watch, its 45mm but wears smaller in my opinion. The vertical lines on the dial and cream colored indices and numbers just really pop. It has to be seen in person to appreciate, pictures just don’t do it justice. It does a fantastic job of walking the line between feeling dressy and sporty. I picked up a gator strap and cordovan strap for it, looks great on everything but especially honey colored straps that play off the creamy text of the dial. I pulled the trigger on this one without ever seeing it in person and was nervous I wouldn't connect with it. I've tried dressy/sporty pieces before that ended up doing neither very well and inhabited no-mans land, not quite dressy enough or casual enough. However, this watch feels at home on a casual night out as well as during a work day.

A few pictures below of my growing Panerai collection (Hairy Arm Alert)… Thanks for looking.
View attachment 12389793
View attachment 12389785
View attachment 12389787
View attachment 12389789
View attachment 12389815
View attachment 12389803
View attachment 12389809
I was about creating a new thread when I saw this one. Read it, and immediately feel what was written. Just picked a nice 658 and absolutely love it !
I will send pictures as well, but the feeling is totally different when you see the beauty in live, and wear it ! Oh boy ! Incredible !

Envoyé de mon iPhone en utilisant Tapatalk

1 - 15 of 15 Posts