WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Am seeking information on "Welsam Swiss" pocket watches. Company was at least active in 1920's and used cases by Illionois Watch Case Co. Not much else to go on except to say the watch still runs great. Thanks

S

·
0 Posts
Welcome to Watchuseek. Moved your post from "Inquiries" to the more suitable forum. Good luck.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Welcome to Watchuseek. Moved your post from "Inquiries" to the more suitable forum. Good luck.
Thanks Mike. Found this forum after I posted but didn't know I could move it and didn't want to start a second one. Again, my thanks. Hopefully I'll have better luck here but the brand seems to be one of those that came and went in a flash with no claims to fame. Paulo|

·
Registered
1,997 Posts
For some of these more obscure ones, I've never seen advice to check with the NAWCC, but think that it's appropriate here. I've never heard of an American watch case company called the "Illinois Watch Case Co." so I suspect that this might be "Le Fake". I think the first step might be to see if the Illinois Watch Case company did in fact exist.

If it did (and this is possible) this might well be a watch made for mail order. A brand one occasionally encounters in the USA is "Santa Fe" which appeared to have been made exclusively for mail order and generally used decent quality movements.

·
Registered
2,394 Posts
'Illinois Watch Case Co' was an American case company starting business in Chicago in 1886, then moved to Elgin, Illinois and made cases until the 1940'ies. The company was not related to either Illinois or Elgin watch companies.

·
Registered
2,394 Posts
Am seeking information on "Welsam Swiss" pocket watches. Company was at least active in 1920's and used cases by Illionois Watch Case Co. Not much else to go on except to say the watch still runs great. Thanks
Please post pictures of watch face, movement, and inner case markings. This is needed for any identification.

·
Moderator Public Forum
22,618 Posts

Since the name sounds vaguely like Waltham I wonder if it isn't one of those swiss watches made to appear to be american. The information you have provided does not indicate it is a fake however. To be a fake there has to be a real version, and I'm pretty sure there was only one Welsam watch.

The other equally good possibility is that it was a house brand for one of the many local department stores that competed with Sears, Penney, Wards, Newberry, etc., in the early part of the 20th century.

·
Registered
1,997 Posts
Since the name sounds vaguely like Waltham I wonder if it isn't one of those swiss watches made to appear to be american. The information you have provided does not indicate it is a fake however. To be a fake there has to be a real version, and I'm pretty sure there was only one Welsam watch.

The other equally good possibility is that it was a house brand for one of the many local department stores that competed with Sears, Penney, Wards, Newberry, etc., in the early part of the 20th century.
Some of the department store house brands continued well into the 20th Century, in fact right up to the quartz revolution. Sears (I think some of their brands were Sears and Regent) had good quality watches made for them, and they were pretty careful not to have their brand names sound like someone else's brand name.

If you ever get a chance to buy a Sears chronograph, for example, do so. they used mainly Valjoux.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Please post pictures of watch face, movement, and inner case markings. This is needed for any identification.
Will see what I can do about getting pictures. Inside of case identifies it as an IWC Co Supreme. Found a website with a "Record" watch for sale with the later version of the case & face. IWC went from gold to nickle. Watch was originally purchased at local jewelery store, (have original case) and may have been a "put together. Understand this was popular with jewelery stores back then. P. Drohan

·
Moderator Public Forum
22,618 Posts
Some of the department store house brands continued well into the 20th Century, in fact right up to the quartz revolution. Sears (I think some of their brands were Sears and Regent) had good quality watches made for them, and they were pretty careful not to have their brand names sound like someone else's brand name.

If you ever get a chance to buy a Sears chronograph, for example, do so. they used mainly Valjoux.
Yes, Sears in particular had consumer goods from well known companies rebranded to Sears equally well-known house brands. Numerous watches, cameras, bikes, motorcycles, etc. Pentax cameras were renamed Tower, etc.

·
Registered
2,394 Posts
Yes, Sears in particular had consumer goods from well known companies rebranded to Sears equally well-known house brands. Numerous watches, cameras, bikes, motorcycles, etc. Pentax cameras were renamed Tower, etc.
Sears even sold cars under its own name in 1952, such as the Sears Allstate which was a re-branded Kaiser Henry J, they sold 2000 of them:
http://www.carlustblog.com/2009/02/kaiser-henry-j.html

Now this is getting far off topic. Still hoping for some pictures from the original poster though.

·
Moderator Public Forum
22,618 Posts
Sears even sold cars under its own name in 1952, such as the Sears Allstate which was a re-branded Kaiser Henry J, they sold 2000 of them:

Now this is getting far off topic. Still hoping for some pictures from the original poster though.
I was seriously tempted by a NOS 1970's Sears dive watch about 9 months ago. Tempted but ultimately resisted that Sears name right on the dial.

·
Registered
2,394 Posts
I was seriously tempted by a NOS 1970's Sears dive watch about 9 months ago. Tempted but ultimately resisted that Sears name right on the dial.
I am sure someone are collecting Sears items as well. Tell me if you see a Sears Allstate, I might be interested.

·
Registered
1,748 Posts
Sears Astrolon going in a lot on ebay right now

PM me if you want the #

PS: IIRC
Sears also had the Tradition line (mechanicals are usually AS and electronics are usually ESA)
Pencron = JC Penny (mechanicals are usually ST)
LeGant = Montgomery Ward (mechanicals vary but electronics are usually ESA)

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #15

Finally took picts & posted on Photobucket but don't know how to post here. Help! Thanks, Paul

·
Registered
23,771 Posts
Copy the image location on Photobucket to your clipboard.
Then go to the "Insert Image" icon on your post and click it. Paste in the clipboard text.

S

·
0 Posts
Even your url does not work even if adding a "t" to htp = http//

Photobucket says: Page not found
But now that you're here, go ahead and search through the billions of photos, images and videos on Photobucket.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts