WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
After a few months of internet research I ventured uptown to visit Wempe in NYC last week to take a look at Nomos and compare with some of the simpler GO models (I am very undecided about my price range and trying to get a sense of value). I came away after some wrist time actually preferring the Wempe Chronometerwerke with the Nomos movement to anything in either the Nomos or the GO lines.

I wanted to ask your opinion regarding these watches - would you say that the Wempe brand on the watch enhances it's desirability due to the superior (from what I have gathered) prestige of the Wempe brand as opposed to Nomos, or does the fact that it is not a true manufacture movement, but only an exclusive movement, make it less desirable than if the same watch carried the Nomos tag?

As a corollary how does the Wempe CW1 (Nomos Theta) movement stack up to equivalent GO movements (caliber 22?)?

Any suggestions of similar watches I should look into would be appreciated as well.

For the visually inclined see stock pics below:

Attachments

·
Moderator German Watches Forum
6,036 Posts
Hello,

Welcome to watchuseek and the German watch forum.

I don't get to handle the watches you mentioned. The NOMOS movements are
very good either in a NOMOS or Wempe watch. Some of the GO movement
photos are spectacular. However appealing the movements, the dial receives
your attention most of the time. I give the dial appearance the highest weight
in my selections. Because they are manufacturers with excellent quality and
character, NOMOS and GO both have a strong following. Wempe seems less
well known.

I really can't comment about the relative value of those watches, but I can
say this. Beauty is in the eye of the beholder. Any watch you buy new will
depreciate dramatically as soon as you pay for it. The watch you choose for
reasons other than its appeal will be less likely to satisfy you, and hence will
be the worst value. The reason is you will start looking for a different watch
to satisfy the desire, and that will cost you. I counsel taking your time. Don't
purchase until one of the watches says, "Buy me" over an extended time.

When trying to make a choice I have put watch photos as the background
on my computer screen. Eventually, my feelings seem to approach a final
value about the relative appeal.

You mentioned Wempe, NOMOS, and GO. In this style I think you should also
study Dornblüth.

Thanks,
rationaltime

·
Moderator at Large
54,121 Posts
I wanted to ask your opinion regarding these watches - would you say that the Wempe brand on the watch enhances it's desirability due to the superior (from what I have gathered) prestige of the Wempe brand as opposed to Nomos, or does the fact that it is not a true manufacture movement, but only an exclusive movement, make it less desirable than if the same watch carried the Nomos tag?
The movements (CW1 and the Tourbillon) have been developed by Nomos (please use our search function to find out more) in close co-operation with Wempe. Whatever name you will find on the dial the movement is worth any penny. If it is desirable or not is a personal and not an objective decision. The movement is excellent and Made in Glashütte. You can't ask for more.

·
Registered
483 Posts
really well finish movement....

·
Registered
10 Posts
I have owned the Chronometerwerke for over two years now, along with a GO Senator Sixties and a Nomos Tangente and also a Tangomat. I think all the comments above so far have been right on as far as my experience: the Wempe is a great watch with a great movement, and I have to confess I bought it initially because of the movement. The dial I thought was nice, and the shape of the watch different and therefore intriguing. I went through a long period where I didn't wear it, simply because of the different shape. After a while, I started to really appreciate it and it's now one of my favorites, and I'm even contemplating purchasing the black face (I have the white face).
As far as "value" is concerned, I'm never sure how to discuss this term except to qualify it. What I mean is that if you want to trade it in at an AD for a new watch, good luck getting much for it. I'm not saying it's not worth much, it's just that it's a very niche type of buyer who will purchase the watch from the AD, and therefore the AD won't be willing to give much for it (I tried twice at different AD's and this is what I was told by both).
That being said, I think the Wempe is a true watch lover's watch: it's a manual wind certified chronometer (through the German standard) with a rate of 21,600bph and a power reserve of over 80 hours! Most movements have a much higher beat rate and therefore it's "easier" for the movement to achieve chronometric standards (please correct me if I'm wrong). The finishing is excellent on the Wempe for the price range, and compares favorably with my GO.
But like others have said here, don't buy a watch simply because of the movement, and I must agree with that. I've worn the Wempe in all different situations with several different straps, and I can say with full confidence that it's a robust, reliable and "strong" looking watch, but its tonneau shape may relegate it more to an enhancement in your collection than an everyday wearer, at least that's how I look at mine. I go through periods where I wear it for three weeks straight, even on weekends, then I always go back to my GO Senator Sixties.
Good luck with your decision and I'd be happy to discuss anything else about the Wempe and my ownership experience.

Scott

1 - 5 of 5 Posts