WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
1,245 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Took my Alpha Radiomir Chronograph swimming today, gotta say I'm impressed. For a "delicate" mechanical chronograph it did perfectly with all the splashing around and rapid movement. And even more surprisingly it did not leak. It's rated to 5 ATM, the crown and pushers are not screw down, and it has a display back. I swam a good 30 laps freestyle, then I just hung around the bottom just to get as much pressure on it as possible. After about an hour of this with no leakage, I decided to push the boundaries and I pushed the chrono buttons underwater, I started, stopped, and then reset the chrono underwater. Still no leakage, that was over two hours ago and not even a little condensation. Now I don't recommend doing this, and I probably got lucky, but I am very surprised it could handle swimming even. Now that I found out this is water resistant enough for everything I'll ever do, I think it'll become a daily watch, one I can wear to the beach, around the house, if I'm going out, and it suits all occasions. The point of me sharing this is to show you that these things aren't as delicate as we may think. Even an Alpha with less than stellar quality control, a known delicate movement, low water resistance rating, a display back, and a non screw down crown or pushers can handle more than just light rain.

·
Registered
11,367 Posts
I must say that this is not what I expected to be reading when I read the title but I believe that was the point. I'm glad it worked out well for you. We need watch pics.

·
Registered
8,828 Posts
Risky. Recklessly risky. Glad it worked out for you.

Kids, don't try this at home!

·
Registered
1,455 Posts
Hate to be a doubter, but you may not see the consequences until the water has a chance to work on the movement a bit! I hope not...

Keep us posted! (And post some pics!!)

·
Registered
7,750 Posts
some pics would have been interesting.

·
Registered
874 Posts
Glad it worked out for you. I wouldn't have done that though ;-).
Gotta to love the ST19 movement, handcranking it is a breeze.
Pics please!

·
Registered
1,245 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I'll take it again tomorrow and I'll be sure to document it. It's currently still dry as bone inside. I'll update with actual underwater pics tomorrow.

·
Registered
1,072 Posts
Try doing this more regularly I guess. Water and wear should take its toll.

Wiki does say 5ATM is good for swimming. I mean 50m is really dang deep already

·
Registered
3,006 Posts
I was cringing as I was reading this post! I'm glad it worked out for you, but I've definitely heard some horror stories of watches with more than 50m rating getting seepage or condensation.

+1 for seeing some photos!

·
Registered
1,815 Posts
Nice, good to know. *

*Still won't be following you lead though ;-)

Reactions: Lucible

·
Premium Member
71,472 Posts
When I read the title of the thread, like Steam I'd visions of a watch with 500 gallons of water inside it. Glad it went well for you. Call me neurotic but I won't swim in a watch with less than 200m WR (I said that I was neurotic)

·
Registered
926 Posts
That was daring. I don't think I could bring myself to risk it.

Reactions: FrakkenPrawn

·
Registered
26,432 Posts
Took my Alpha Radiomir Chronograph swimming today, gotta say I'm impressed. For a "delicate" mechanical chronograph it did perfectly with all the splashing around and rapid movement. And even more surprisingly it did not leak. It's rated to 5 ATM, the crown and pushers are not screw down, and it has a display back. I swam a good 30 laps freestyle, then I just hung around the bottom just to get as much pressure on it as possible. After about an hour of this with no leakage, I decided to push the boundaries and I pushed the chrono buttons underwater, I started, stopped, and then reset the chrono underwater. Still no leakage, that was over two hours ago and not even a little condensation. Now I don't recommend doing this, and I probably got lucky, but I am very surprised it could handle swimming even. Now that I found out this is water resistant enough for everything I'll ever do, I think it'll become a daily watch, one I can wear to the beach, around the house, if I'm going out, and it suits all occasions. The point of me sharing this is to show you that these things aren't as delicate as we may think. Even an Alpha with less than stellar quality control, a known delicate movement, low water resistance rating, a display back, and a non screw down crown or pushers can handle more than just light rain.
Excellent ! :-!

I'm not brave enough to put any watch with pushers in water (that's stupid, I know), but I tried with two other ALPHAS, and they passed the "test" :-!

ALPHAs Water Resistance Experiment ^_^

+ Explo I :

·
Registered
829 Posts
Try doing this more regularly I guess. Water and wear should take its toll.

Wiki does say 5ATM is good for swimming. I mean 50m is really dang deep already
9,9,9! I mean nein!

WR50m does not mean you can go 50m deep!

It means the watch can take an air column with pressure of 5 atmospheres. Knock off one if them before you get into the water unless you live in the vacuum of space ;-)

When you splash about, vortices of pressure form which are significantly larger than the depth you are in.

Some watches are better than others. For example, my kid's 50m failed when swimming, while the Citizen dress 50m was fine (that was before I heard of WUS and the error of my ways)

If in doubt, check what the manufacturer says. To be sure, 100m+

·
Registered
128 Posts
Timely given I've been waiting to bid on an Alpha Radiomir - no intention of taking it swimming, but at least I'll be less concerned about it getting rained on ...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
5,505 Posts
9,9,9! I mean nein!

WR50m does not mean you can go 50m deep!
Yes it does, if you don't move at all while you're that deep.

It means the watch can take an air column with pressure of 5 atmospheres. Knock off one if them before you get into the water unless you live in the vacuum of space ;-)
No, it means it can take a water (50m) + air (100km) column totalling 6 atmospheres, since there's already one atmosphere of pressure inside the watch.

When you splash about, vortices of pressure form which are significantly larger than the depth you are in.
Someone did some calculations and studies on this once. For an athletic swimmer, splashing about adds about 0.1 atmosphere to the pressure seen by the watch, so you shouldn't go lower than 49m with a 50m watch.

Some watches are better than others. For example, my kid's 50m failed when swimming, while the Citizen dress 50m was fine (that was before I heard of WUS and the error of my ways)
Some watches actually meet the specs printed on them, cheapies don't. Citizen is a fine watch, so I'd expect that it would meet its specs.

Note that Omega rates its 30m/3atm X-33 safe for swimming. (Not my) pic from the Omega forum:

Reactions: jackrobinson

·
Registered
3,441 Posts
That is nice. Alpha is supposed to be one of the more reliable manufacturers. As I understand their low rating is due to they don't pressure test a big sample but that the build and materials support a higher rating.
AFAIK, pusher pressing shouldn't be done under water in any case.

·
Registered
3,129 Posts
This is how these things should be done.Jump in with both feet.

Never mind 50,100,30,1000,200 metres "water resistant"...I must consider all my watches waterproof.Yes,waterproof!

I don't believe in wishy-washy depth ratings,manufacturers hemming & hawing at the prompting of their legal departments,scientific debates about 100 vs 200 metres,additional pressure from moving the watch about under water etc etc.

It's all pap.Wear your watch as YOU see fit & enjoy it wherever you are.

It's never let me down.From Casio to Seiko to Omega to Rolex to Panerai to Armida to Citizen to Chinese no-name to vintage Tissot to Nixon.

Get wet!

1 - 20 of 20 Posts