WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 20 of 57 Posts
6,490 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

We’re Touring Grand Seiko: What Do You Want To Know?

Timeless Luxury Watches is visiting Seiko in Japan! We want to know what questions you have for Seiko and if there is anything special you’d like to see there. But first, a quick run-down of the trip!

First, we’ll be meeting with Mr. Takashi, president (and COO/CMO) of Seiko, a great honor for us. Then we’ll be visiting the famous Ginza Wako department store. The Ginza Wako, as you probably already know, is an iconic landmark of Tokyo. We’ll end the day at the Takashimaya Watch Maison, a massive and impressive watch retailer.

Things get even more exciting when we tour the Seiko Epson Shiojiri Plant. This is the highlight of the trip for serious fans of Grand Seiko’s spring drive and quartz models as this is where they’re made. If you’ve ever worn a Snowflake, this is where it came from.

Then we visit the yin to Seiko Epson’s yang, the Shizuku-ishi Watch Studio, where Grand Seiko produces its mechanical movements and watches, like the famous 9S85 Hi-Beat. As I’m a bit old-fashioned myself, this is probably the part that fascinates me the most.

Finally, a fitting conclusion to our journey to Seiko is a tour of the Seiko Museum, which brings the magnificent history of one of the greatest watch companies together into a single place.

So what would you like to ask Seiko, or see in one of their studios or museums? Let us know in the comments!

·
Registered
1,394 Posts
Thank you for giving us this window into the brand, as well as the opportunity! The most pressing question for me, which I think is on everyone's mind, is:

When will they make more watches under 40mm (especially divers)?

Additionally:

-Will there be a new quartz diver design as the SBGX115/117 are seemingly phased out?
-What are their thoughts on the overall feedback of the dial redesign (both criticisms and fanfare)?

Looking forward to your trip updates, and thanks again!

6,490 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thank you for giving us this window into the brand, as well as the opportunity! The most pressing question for me, which I think is on everyone's mind, is:

When will they make more watches under 40mm (especially divers)?

Additionally:

-Will there be a new quartz diver design as the SBGX115/117 are seemingly phased out?
-What are their thoughts on the overall feedback of the dial redesign (both criticisms and fanfare)?

Looking forward to your trip updates, and thanks again!
Terrific questions. I'd like to know those myself!

6,490 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I would like to see more manual wind spring drives being used in Grand Seiko watches (too keep the thickness down). They have them for Credor, why not Grand Seiko. Also, I would like to see the Power Reserve indicator on the back.

Dan
That'd be a dream come true for me as well. I'd love a Hi-Beat manual wind with a power reserve complication on the back specifically...it'd be the best GS ever.

·
Registered
2,545 Posts
How has the branding change been working out for them vs. expectations?

·
Registered
134 Posts
- Is Grand Seiko going to see Europe as a growing and important market or will we still have few boutiques, very few service centers and limited range of available models with Japanese sellers being told not to ship GS to Europe?
- is there a chance for an adjustable clasp in models other than divers? It's quite useful and other brands managed to design it without spoiling the looks. It would make the already fantastic 5-link bracelet just perfect.

·
Registered
768 Posts
I would like to know how seiko manages the design process
How are the design teams organized... who is lead for the different lines, seiko 5, presage, prospex etc.
how are themes and design discipline managed... and what background do the designers have

·
Registered
1,274 Posts
Could they envisage having an online database/catalogue of their models available somewhere, anywhere, even in Japanese? It's very hard to find models from all their lineups, even the non-vintage ones. And there are some gems that collectors are missing out on. (I am not sure whether I'm right to think this would be a common one with Credor)

Is there any initiative to slim down the Spring Drive movements to make somewhat smaller and thinner watches? Think 39mm dia x 9.5mm height.

I second the question about the 8-day power reserve in 'normal' models.

Edited to focus my question on the Spring Drive.

·
Registered
145 Posts
Could they envisage having an online database/catalogue of their models available somewhere, anywhere, even in Japanese? It's very hard to find models from all their lineups, even the non-vintage ones.
https://www.grand-seiko.jp/collections/

Just view in Google Chrome and use the translate function. It includes the Boutique Only editions currently available.

·
Registered
23 Posts
I'd like to see them expand the Quartz line. 5 models are just not enough. I would love to see a Quartz version of the SGGJ219 for example.

·
Registered
9,246 Posts
1) Would it be possible to return to issue individual certificates for each movements like it used to be and currently is for COSC movements?

2) Would it be possible to get a GS mechanical diver with "human" dimensions, especialy thickness?

3) Are they going to change the design of the bracelet? To be honest at the moment it's a littel generic and Omega like

4) Are they going to improve the post sale service worldwide? I asked a question regarding my 051 to the Seiko customer's service of the country I am currently working and they never bothered to answer me. Grand Seiko demands Grand prices and therefore we expect a Grand service!

5) As the beauty of these watches is mostly due to the polishing and brushing of case and bracelet would it be possible to implement some kind of diashield coating and or an heating treatment to make them more scratch resistant?

6) Would it be possible to have a day date complication for the mechanical movements? Historically day-date GS have always been popular.

1 - 20 of 57 Posts