WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner
1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
4,530 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Since I live in the East Coast and far away from the tower in Colorado, atomic clock radio reception was often poor. Then one night few months back, I discovered that by simply putting the watch with the back facing up would increase the chance of receiving the signal. Since then I tested most of my solar atomic Gs, and proved this to be true. All of them were able to receive the signal significantly better than before.
Watch Wood Watch accessory Strap Hardwood

This is a familiar illustration from Casio / G-Shock manual for a solar atomic watch model. It instructs users to put the watch face up with 12 o'clock towards a window.
Product Motor vehicle Font Line Parallel

This dated back to the first solar atomic G, the GW500 GW300 (Japan and US bands only) released in the early 2000s. That model has an antenna mounted outside of the module at 12 o'clock of the case and toward the front of watch. Later Casio released GW500 and MTG900 with the same module as GW300.

Below is a MTG900, you can see the connection to the 12 o'clock antenna embedded in the case.
Product Gas Machine Technology Auto part

(Another member's photo borrowed for reference)

Below is a stock picuture of a GW500, you can see the front side of the antenna.
Watch Clock Font Automotive tire Automotive design

However, this design was changed since the introduction of Multiband 5 and later 6. These newer models are simply having an antenna coil on the module itself, facing the case back. As seen in examples below for GWM5610 (right) and GMWB5000 (further down). The one on the left in the picture below is a G5600E, which is solar only and hence no antenna.
Watch Analog watch Clock Font Watch accessory

Bicycle part Crankset Font Auto part Bicycle drivetrain part

So this antenna is no longer facing the front, but rather facing the back. Also it's no longer on top of the 12 o'clock position as before, but rather more toward the center. I was long suspecting the recommended position in official manual was not correct. But never tested the theory until now.

Casio should really revise their manuals and remove that old illustration. That's no longer the optimal position for receiving the signal.

·
Registered
4,530 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 · (Edited)
So, I've tested the solar atomic models I own. I suggest more members to test this out to prove this is indeed legit. Very simple experiment: put your solar atomic watch(es) back-side-up before you go to bed, and see if it (they) receive the signal better than before the next morning. Repeat this for a few days to weeks to see if it's a consistent observation.

·
Premium Member
8,425 Posts
“It instructs users to put the watch face up with 12 o'clock towards a window.”
The manual doesn’t explicitly say “face up”. Also, it does depict both face up OR face down options.
I normally do face down simply because it lies flat and seems more secure than balancing on the strap. Not that a G couldnt handle the fall or anything….

·
Registered
435 Posts

Yup, I do this in NYC and it seems to get the signal almost every night. (South facing window on the 1st floor). The metal window frame might help?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Good to know signal makes it to east coast from CO. I was wondering about that. Wonder if anybody in Miami, FL can confirm they are getting a signal...

·
Premium Member
10,193 Posts
That’s what works best for me north of Atlanta.

·
Registered
1,044 Posts
I'm nowhere near as far away from the broadcast as you folks, Albuquerque, and really don't have many sync issues but there is one funny thing I noticed a few weeks ago. I've kept my 5610 near kitchen window on east face of home for months now and it was hit and miss receiving whereas all my others are in bedroom also facing east window and none ever miss a sync. The 5610 in kitchen is normally on my work from home desk under a pair of big lcd monitors. I noticed one day it hadn't synced in over a week so out of curiosity I moved it with the others and it synced 3 nights in row without fail. Moved it back to kitchen and it missed. Wondering what the difference could be besides 70 feet further south, "maybe its interference" so to test I shut off everything at end of workday Friday using the switch on power strip. Next morning and next and next all synced. End of day Monday shut down desktop without switching off strip and bingo no sync. The "sleeping" monitors are throwing off so much RF interference that the watch won't sync much of the time.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,720 Posts
I must live near enough (about 70 miles) that it doesn't matter. When I'm not wearing it, my GW5000 is usually in a travel case with several other watches, usually oriented face up, and not near the window. It still manages to sync reliably.

·
Premium Member
1,125 Posts
So, I've tested the solar atomic models I own. I suggest more members to test this out to prove this is indeed legit. Very simple experiment: put your solar atomic watch(es) back-side-up before you go to bed, and see if it (they) receive the signal better than before the next morning. Repeat this for a few days to weeks to see if it's a consistent observation.
I will give it a shot, but here in downtown Chicago my atomic watches sync almost every night from the watch box sitting near a westerly-facing window. I think each one might miss one day a month.

·
Registered
1,654 Posts
good finding
I'd give it a try

Reactions: Watch_Geekmaster

·
Premium Member
10,193 Posts
I'm nowhere near as far away from the broadcast as you folks, Albuquerque, and really don't have many sync issues but there is one funny thing I noticed a few weeks ago. I've kept my 5610 near kitchen window on east face of home for months now and it was hit and miss receiving whereas all my others are in bedroom also facing east window and none ever miss a sync. The 5610 in kitchen is normally on my work from home desk under a pair of big lcd monitors. I noticed one day it hadn't synced in over a week so out of curiosity I moved it with the others and it synced 3 nights in row without fail. Moved it back to kitchen and it missed. Wondering what the difference could be besides 70 feet further south, "maybe its interference" so to test I shut off everything at end of workday Friday using the switch on power strip. Next morning and next and next all synced. End of day Monday shut down desktop without switching off strip and bingo no sync. The "sleeping" monitors are throwing off so much RF interference that the watch won't sync much of the time.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk
Vampire drains from lots of electronics that we think are off but are really on causes more issues than 99% of folks know about. Good catch!

·
Registered
249 Posts
Here in Kentucky, I have a Junghans Meister Mega that sits face-up in my watch box--and it syncs almost every night. My cheap-o Casio Wavecepter ($35 at Kohls) needs to be on a window sill and still picks up the signal only about 50% of the time. I wonder what Junghans is doing differently?

·
Registered
9,313 Posts
Not "we." ;)

I've been doing this for years and have posted about it in the forum. Each person thinks they have their own 'trick' that works and do what they want to do.

A recent thread also discussed the technique you mention. Clearly others are discovering that it works.

1 - 20 of 47 Posts